NHL game center question

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I am trying to buy NHL game center, but it keeps saying its unavailable for purchase. Any idea when it will be available for android?

Also, would Hotspot shield help with local games as I don't have cable now. Thanks in advance.

If nhl game center is no longer available, what is the other legal options?

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
if you're in canada, you'll now have to go through this route:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/nhl/

Rogers doesn't seem to provide any information about stream quality, games on demand (and delay on availability after air date) or blackout restrictions. Is there a different page for the technical side of things?

It seems a bit ridiculous that their whole site is basically: "Here's a video of Mark Messier, now pay us $200 and hope it fits your needs."

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Rogers doesn't seem to provide any information about stream quality, games on demand (and delay on availability after air date) or blackout restrictions. Is there a different page for the technical side of things?

It seems a bit ridiculous that their whole site is basically: "Here's a video of Mark Messier, now pay us $200 and hope it fits your needs."

Here is the blackout info.
https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Since there's a thread about this already, I have what is probably a stupid question. If you want to watch a local game on GameCentre the night that it originally airs, but slightly later that same night (a la PVR), can you do that?

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Since there's a thread about this already, I have what is probably a stupid question. If you want to watch a local game on GameCentre the night that it originally airs, but slightly later that same night (a la PVR), can you do that?

It's not a stupid question. I believe gamecenter has a 48 hour delay before you can stream games on demand. I could be wrong about this, which is why I'm frustrated about the lack of available information.

Thanks for that link, skeena. I'm moving to Toronto, so it's good to know there's a maximum of two possible Canucks games that could be blacked out.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
They don't show preseason games anyway.

Also if you have a DNS proxy you can order the American one for $99 USD and using said proxy watch all the blacked out Canucks games.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I am not sure about how it is different with the Rogers Gamecenter, but I would guess that it is the same as normal Gamecenter only with half of the Games (Canucks home games?) blocked so you have to watch it on TV... and if those games then become available after the fact I have no Idea... But I assume they would at some stage

But for normal Gamecentre you can watch the games whenever for a couple days, but then it goes into the Vault and you can watch them whenever... the Vault goes back about 5 years or so, then they have classic matches from old days...

I was happy to pay what amounted to like 2.5 bucks a game...

Also the Hockey Streams website says Game Center does not have Playoffs. That is a Lie, at least it is for overseas guys, I got playoffs fine

Edit: If you are in a different region outside of BC then different teams games will be blocked, you could also get around this easily I would say

Cupless

Aug 26, 2005
Am I reading the blackouts page wrong? It looks like there are no blacked out Canucks games in BC & Yukon.

Edit: Never mind. After Jan 1, it looks like you don't stream Canucks games unless you have a cable package with Sportsnet.

Trash service is still trash.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Also if you have a DNS proxy you can order the American one for $99 USD and using said proxy watch all the blacked out Canucks games.

Blacked out might be a bit a confusing term for some, they are blocked to make people watch it on TV. Not blacked out from TV... I know I know, potato, potato

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch

It's not a stupid question. I believe gamecenter has a 48 hour delay before you can stream games on demand. I could be wrong about this, which is why I'm frustrated about the lack of available information.

Thanks for that link, skeena. I'm moving to Toronto, so it's good to know there's a maximum of two possible Canucks games that could be blacked out.

Gamecenter works like a PVR. You can join a game in progress or start from the beginning. Spoiler alert: the scoreboard at the top should be turned off if you're using PVR mode. Even live, sometimes it updates before the stream catches up to a scoring play.

The 48 hour delay only applied to blacked out games. The blackout is lifted after 48 hours.

I never wanted to ever give Rogers another cent, but I kind of need that PVR feature. There is an early bird discount ($180) for the first week or so, then $200.

TheCrazedMadman

Aug 31, 2010
For rogers customers (I have them for my phone) you get Gamecenter for free til the end of December. Never used Gamecenter before, but is there a way around the blackout restrictions by using the Hola browser extension? (which lets you change your country to, say the US for example)

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at thr blackout link and it says there are no games blacked out.... (Until Jan 1st comes around, but by then my free ride will be over, haha).

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver

Quick question how do you get it for $99 when I'm on the American server it says its $159?

I ask because I'm thinking about cutting my cable and buying a roku instead.

Edit: I notice that when I'm on the UK servers it's a lot cheaper if I purchase GCL on a UK server will I be able to watch games on a American server or will I have to stick to UK and if so is the content any different or is it all the same?

Last edited:

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Quick question how do you get it for $99 when I'm on the American server it says its $159?

I ask because I'm thinking about cutting my cable and buying a roku instead.

Edit: I notice that when I'm on the UK servers it's a lot cheaper if I purchase GCL on a UK server will I be able to watch games on a American server or will I have to stick to UK and if so is the content any different or is it all the same?
I'll PM you.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The rogers website said their app will be available in Oct 6, how come I can't find it on Google play?

The Icon

Apr 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC.
That worked out so well here last time...

The rogers website said their app will be available in Oct 6, how come I can't find it on Google play?
It's available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nhl.gc1112.free

I have a quick question because the GCL is a little unclear: if I have Sportsnet through Telus, will Canucks games be blacked out on GCL? it doesn't seem like any other cable providers have announced plans, at least according to the GCL site.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I know its been just one game but anyone notice for GCL almost every team they show commercials and cover the game in between periods but for Canucks games it'll be that commercial time out thing and no coverage between periods just kinda awkward with the silence lol hoping that was just a one time thing.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
I know its been just one game but anyone notice for GCL almost every team they show commercials and cover the game in between periods but for Canucks games it'll be that commercial time out thing and no coverage between periods just kinda awkward with the silence lol hoping that was just a one time thing.

Yea same. Totally cool with the commercials being cut out, but I want the period break coverage.

snizzbone*

If you switch to the away team feed it usually shows the intermission thing on that side.. not as good but still something to watch.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
If you switch to the away team feed it usually shows the intermission thing on that side.. not as good but still something to watch.

I'm sure when they're playing Canadian teams it should be the same SN coverage but its strange we don't get our own feed hopefully they fix this.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I'm sure when they're playing Canadian teams it should be the same SN coverage but its strange we don't get our own feed hopefully they fix this.

A couple years back it was the same, they did not play any adds or intermission stuff when using a SN feed, but when the game is on TSN, CBC or US network it would, must obviously have to do with the contracts and rights... But yes It does suck even more now since no TSN... The issue should have been solved with the new broadcast deal, they sure screwed up... I Imagine it is not only the Canucks effected... Its straight BS if it is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad