The Athletic NHL front-office confidence rankings, 2023: How fans feel about every team

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I can't think of a better example of missing the forest for the trees.

It doesn't take any special skill to amass draft picks and use them all.

And yes, there is value in doing that. And over time, there will be dividends from that.

Adams lacks in the practical experience of building a competent NHL roster.

Buffalo has a ton of skill and can outscore teams. But winning at a professional level is more than that. They have to be able to win multiple ways. And Adams (to this point) has been unwilling to make those changes.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I can't think of a better example of missing the forest for the trees.
The quote you bolded mentions both the trees and the forest.

To use your metaphor: the OP was saying that, right now, everyone is satisfied with the forest, but if the forest burns down, we'll be forced to acknowledge that forests are made of flammable, wooden trees.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It doesn't take any special skill to amass draft picks and use them all.

And yes, there is value in doing that. And over time, there will be dividends from that.

Adams lacks in the practical experience of building a competent NHL roster.

Buffalo has a ton of skill and can outscore teams. But winning at a professional level is more than that. They have to be able to win multiple ways. And Adams (to this point) has been unwilling to make those changes.

I feel like TM proved there is indeed a level of skill required to doing that.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I feel like TM proved there is indeed a level of skill required to doing that.

TM had the same issue but the opposite approach. TM could get a bunch of good pieces but couldn’t put together a strong team. After his initial ‘surge’ in the summer of 15 he really didn’t do much to resolve issues. Closest was kulikov.

Neither have proven to be good team architects.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think that is @TheMistyStranger 's point. The "Buffalo negativity" is allowing the misfortune of the past to infect and override the obvious positives that are currently in place and growing. It's a terrible way to live life and it really does hinder things in this area at times.
When you say growing you are ranking them for something that hasn't happened and dismissing everything that has happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad