NHL Free Agent Game #5

ESY16

Aug 8, 2006
Canon City, CO
www.geocities.com
:avs

UPDATE:

The rumors appear to be true as the Colorado Avalanche have signed Marian Hossa, this year's top free agent forward. This is a surprise move as the Avalanche weren't thought to be big players in this year's free agent market.

The deal is a 10 year contract for $70 million. It contains a NMC for the first 7 years and a NTC for the final 3. Additional contract details were not released but it is thought that the deal is heavily front-loaded with 1 or more low salary years at the end of the deal.

Last edited:

ESY16

Aug 8, 2006
Canon City, CO
www.geocities.com
:avs - Colorado Avalanche Draft Review

COL 1st round draft pick - 3rd overall - Matt Duchene

Selecting Matt at 3rd overall was a no-brainer. This is a kid that is being touted by many as the most complete player of the draft. He is currently ranked 2nd overall by both ISS and Redline. He has shown off plenty of offensive flair in the OHL by scoring 79 points in 57 games this season with the Brampton Batallion. He then added 26 points in 21 playoff games as well. In addition to his offensive talents, Matt also brings incredible skating and defensive awareness to the table. He has the skills to play well on both ends of the ice and truly is a potential franchise-calibur center.

COL 2nd round draft pick - 33rd overall - Simon Despres

Simon Despres is projected by many to go in the 1st round so getting him with the 33rd overall pick is a steal. We were very excited to get a player of his caliber in the 2nd round. Ranked the 8th best North American skater by the NHL's Central Scouting Service, Simon brings a lot to the table. He is defensively aware and will continue to grow his D in the QMJHL. He also is showing offensive talents as he scored 32 points in 66 games with Saint John. He already has an NHL frame at over 6'3" and 205lbs. He joins what is already a solid defensive prospect group.

COL 2nd round draft pick via MTL - 49th overall - Mike Lee

The Avalanche were looking to draft a goalie in the first 3 rounds and got exactly who they were after with their second pick of the round. Ranked the 4th best NA goalie by CSS, the Avalanche feel they got yet another steal in the 2nd round. Mike had an absolutely incredible year for Fargo of the USHL and will look to continue his development for St. Cloud State next year. On an expansion team, Lee posted a 26-15-4 record with an impressive .918 save percentage and a GAA of 2.40. He then went on a tear in the playoffs, taking his team to the 3rd round and winning 7 straight games in the process. The ability to put up this kind of performance is incredible and is part of what impressed our scouts with him.

The Avalanche feel that they got a top forward, top defenseman, and top goalie in this years draft. This trio of players helps re-stock our prospect pool and we look forward to their continued development.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Montreal Canadiens have made a Big Splash !!

The Canadiens have come to an agreement with Jay Bouwmeester.
He signed a 10 year deal worth $73M, with a full NMC.

"We are really pleased to have a player like JayBo come to Montreal. We are trying to build a strong defensive team and want to make sure our goaltender Carey Price is surrounded by great defensemen to support him. With Jay and Markov logging over 25+ minutes a game, we will be able to move the puck more effectively."

The Habs have also signed Nik Antropov to a 3 year deal worth $3.95M per season.

And Sergei Federov has agreed to terms with the Habs as well.

Habs Lineup:

Boyes 4 - Antropov 3.95 - Kunitz 3.725
A.Kostitsyn 3.25 - Plekanec 3 - Hudler 3.25
Higgins 2.8 - Federov 1 - Lapierre 0.688
Latendresse 1.5 - Metropolit 1 - Pacioretty 0.875

Markov 5.75 - Bouwmeester 7.3
Hamrlik 5.5 - Morris 3.25
Gorges 1.1 - O'Byrne 0.942

C.Price - 2.2
D.Roloson - 1.5

Total Cap hit: $56.58M

Great defense...

But I hate this offense...

Antropov as the 1st line C? Just the fact to bring Antropov to MTL would be a mistake. He's the total opposite of what this team needs (except from his size).

Kunitz on the 1st line?

I like the 3rd line and Boyes is one of my favourite player. Of course, I'm still a fan of Andrei Kostitsyn (even if I would trade him for the right offer).

Overall, I don't think that the moves you made make the Habs better.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
St. Louis Signs Jordan Leopold
8-1.jpg

The St. Louis Blues have signed defensemen Jordan Leopold to a 4 year deal where he'll make 3.0M per year.

"This solidifies our defensive core and puts us in prime position to make a push for the Stanley Cup."

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Great defense...

But I hate this offense...

Antropov as the 1st line C? Just the fact to bring Antropov to MTL would be a mistake. He's the total opposite of what this team needs (except from his size).

Kunitz on the 1st line?

I like the 3rd line and Boyes is one of my favourite player. Of course, I'm still a fan of Andrei Kostitsyn (even if I would trade him for the right offer).

Overall, I don't think that the moves you made make the Habs better.

Not a big fan of that offense either, but Kunitz is a first liner on Pittsburgh is he not? And a key second liner on a cup winner. Very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad