NHL Forwards Rankings #16

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Barkov beats out Pettersson to take 15th spot in our annual nhl forward rankings. Great player in Florida gonna keep trying to make something happen down there after many years of disappointment. Some good pieces there, lets see what they can do. Anyways 16 is next, please let me know if you feel someone should be added to the NEXT poll

1 Mcdavid EDM 85% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #1
2 COL Mackinnon 60% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #2
3 Draisatl EDM 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #3
4 Kucherov TB 56% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #4
5 Crosby PITTS 55% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #5
6 NYR Panarin 44% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #6
7 PITTS Malkin 26% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #7
8 Jeichel BUFF 33% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #8
9 Matthews TOR 43% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #9
10 Kane CHI 29% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #10
11 Point TB 25% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #11
12 Marchand BOS 29% NHL Forwards Rankings #12
13 Pastrnak BOS 29% NHL Forwards Rankings #13
14 Ovechkin WASH 60% 2020 NHL Forwards Rankings #14
15 Barkov FLA 27% NHL Forwards Rankings #15

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
What has Pettersson done to be ahead of these other options? Curious. A lot of these players have similar impact defensively while being superior offensively. Shiny toy syndrome?? Phenomenal potential, will be a top 10 player, maybe even top 5 but he has still yet to show he is superior then some of these other options.

Voted Stone, but also like Couturier, Bergeron & Scheifele here. Than Pettersson/Aho/Barzal/Stammer..

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is stone clearly but everyone still thinks he's only a 60pt winger that's okay on defense.

Coots or EP next after him (I would have had both over Ovi or Barkov)

What, in your mind, puts Stone ahead of Couturier? They're both roughly 75 point players (pace) who play Selke-level defense, but Couturier does it at the more important position.

Reactions: 780il

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
What, in your mind, puts Stone ahead of Couturier? They're both roughly 75 point players (pace) who play Selke-level defense, but Couturier does it at the more important position.
Stone has been a better play driver on offense even going back to Ottawa. Both are elite defensive players (Sean is better at suppressing shot quantity while Stone is better at suppressing shot quality from looking at their defensive metrics). If Coots can continue to improve his offense the way he has the last few years then I would probably switch them. I think both players likely should have gone earlier on this list.

Also, the position doesn't really matter as much when discussing who is better. Coots could be considered more valuable while being a worse player.

Reactions: maxbme

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What has Pettersson done to be ahead of these other options? Curious. A lot of these players have similar impact defensively while being superior offensively. Shiny toy syndrome?? Phenomenal potential, will be a top 10 player, maybe even top 5 but he has still yet to show he is superior then some of these other options.

Voted Stone, but also like Couturier, Bergeron & Scheifele here. Than Pettersson/Aho/Barzal/Stammer..

I wouldn't necessarily have Pettersson here yet, but Pettersson's underlying numbers for his impact on GF% when looking at relative and RAPM numbers was one of the best in the league this past year. They put his defensive impact as better than anyone but the Selke-types like Bergeron and Couts, but his offensive impact as higher than the Selke types. His production in terms of P/60 and primary points per 60 is also better than his raw production, and even in raw production he was 20th in league scoring this year.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I voted Pettersson because of how he's impacted the games I've seen him play. I think he can be a top five player in his prime, which could be easily next season and on.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Pettersson is one of those players whose boxscore stats don't exactly line up with the eye test or analytics. Even though he's roughly a PPG player, his play is just as dominant as any of the other players available. His numbers will likely shoot through the roof next year, whenever that is.

I expect him to be top 10 in this poll next season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wouldn't necessarily have Pettersson here yet, but Pettersson's underlying numbers for his impact on GF% when looking at relative and RAPM numbers was one of the best in the league this past year. They put his defensive impact as better than anyone but the Selke-types like Bergeron and Couts, but his offensive impact as higher than the Selke types. His production in terms of P/60 and primary points per 60 is also better than his raw production, and even in raw production he was 20th in league scoring this year.

Pretty much this but still took Aho, although at this stage of the game any of 5 or 6 guys could go.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

Great post. Good to see hfboards posters taking the time to create a valuable reply.

I agree he isn’t there yet, and do believe he will be a top player, but at this point and time I’m not ready to choose him over the other options.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00