News Article: NHL (Finally) changing ALL Star Game Format to 3 x 3 Divisional mini series

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
On how the players will be selected:
Fans vote will determine 4 players, 1 from each division. The rest of the team will be selected by NHL Operations, and min 1 per NHL team.

Schuyler Baehman ‏@NHLschuylerb · 5h5 hours ago
For 2016 NHL All-Star Fan Vote, fans vote 1 player from each Division, regardless of position. Top vote-getters = All-Star team captains.

After fans vote 4 in, remaining 40 NHL All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations, with at least one selected from each NHL team.

everyone should vote in Blake Comeau so that the central will be less of a power house.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
My heart can barely take 1 5 min 3on3 round, grnated it won't be my team but yeah.

On how the players will be selected:
Fans vote will determine 4 players, 1 from each division. The rest of the team will be selected by NHL Operations, and min 1 per NHL team.

For 2016 NHL All-Star Fan Vote, fans vote 1 player from each Division, regardless of position. Top vote-getters = All-Star team captains.

After fans vote 4 in, remaining 40 NHL All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations, with at least one selected from each NHL team.

This is an interesting way to get fan attention.

Not finalized yet...although techincally the WC would be next season...

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 4h4 hours ago

Piggybacking off what @DennisTFP reported yesterday, sounds like the All-Star Game won't be every season moving forward. Not finalized yet.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 4h4 hours ago

Still TBD/agreed upon between NHL/NHLPA, but objective is to have players participate in only 1 main event each season (ASG, WC, Olympics)

This seems stupid, for national pride which is obviously around.:shakehead

scryan

May 1, 2013
I don't mind 3 on 3 OT. I didn't mind the shootout.
But 3 on 3 is ridiculous, lacking legit defense, and there to increase scoring.

The problem with ASG is that its ridiculous, lacking defense/physicality and too heavy on scoring.

Mixing the two does not seem like the answer. Its seems like taking everything that is wrong with the ASG, and highlighting it.

Granted, I don't expect the ASG to be fixed. I don't expect that players start risking shot blocking and throwing real hits... But making it 3 on 3 just pushes it further in the direction of everything that is already making it not an interesting or legit hockey game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad