News Article: NHL (Finally) changing ALL Star Game Format to 3 x 3 Divisional mini series

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...619.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Elliotte Friedman reporting NHL will announce this tonight on Sportsnet and the winning team splits 1 Million dollars

Per Bobby Mac

From McKenzie on Insider Trading:

There’s going to be a 3-on-3 mini-game format for the All-Star Game. The National Hockey League Players Association recently signed off on that format, and the expectation is that the League will be making some sort of formal announcement about it tomorrow.

"What we believe to be the case is that the fantasy draft will be dead. Instead, there will be four divisional teams – nine or 10 skaters apiece, a couple of goaltenders. The two teams in the Eastern Conference would play a 20-minute mini-game. The two teams in the Western Conference would play a 20-minute mini-game. And then you would have the two winners play a 20-minute mini-game.

Sort of like a mini playoff run. ANything is better than what they have now.

I wonder how they pick the players though, since by the above it's about 10 skaters per division so the voting would be by division ?

It seems likes a good idea, 3 x 3 is exciting and you'd have the very best players, so it should be good viewing

Last edited:

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...619.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Per Bobby Mac

Sort of like a mini playoff run. ANything is better than what they have now.

I wonder how they pick the players though, since by the above it's about 10 skaters per division so the voting would be by division ?

It seems likes a good idea, 3 x 3 is exciting and you'd have the very best players, so it should be good viewing

Have to give them credit, they keep trying new stuff.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
My Pacific Team (with 1 player minimum from each team)

Toffoli
Gaudreau
Hall
Pavelski
D. Sedin
Domi

OEL
Doughty
Vatanen

Quick

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
Still won't watch.

A stupid gimmicky game.

Isn't that the point? It's once a year and every fourth year it doesn't happen at all.

The BEST players in the league playing 3 on 3? Or are you the one person that doesn't like the 3v3 OT this year?

Personally, I don't see how anyone could watch our OT against Philly last night and NOT want to see 60 minutes of that action.

If there's a gimmick that needs to go right now, it's the stupid outdoor games and all the overblown hoopla that goes with them.

EIDT: I'll add that a 3v3 is less gimmicky than a 5v5 all-star game where the players aren't allowed to hit. IMO, that's as bad as the stupid Pro Bowl where defense isn't allowed to blitz.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The all-star game is atrocious. It can't hurt to try this 3v3 tournament. It may suck, because a couple extra bucks as toilet paper for the winners isn't going to make them go crazy, but, we know the normal all-star game is completely awful. Back in the day, you didn't have the free agency or as much player movement, so conference pride maybe meant something more.

If this doesn't work, then they really should just get rid of the game. Pick the all-stars so players get their bonuses, give the players the 5 or 6 days off, send the all-stars to the host city to have dinner or an autograph signing with fans or something. Get rid of the game though. They probably should just throw the game out of the window now, but, maybe a mini tournament could be interesting.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The all-star game is atrocious. It can't hurt to try this 3v3 tournament. It may suck, because a couple extra bucks as toilet paper for the winners isn't going to make them go crazy, but, we know the normal all-star game is completely awful. Back in the day, you didn't have the free agency and player movement, so conference pride maybe meant something more.

If this doesn't work, then they really should just get rid of the game. Pick the all-stars so players get their bonuses, give the players the 5 or 6 days off, send the all-stars to the host city to have dinner or an autograph signing with fans or something. Get rid of the game though. They probably should just throw the game out of the window now, but, maybe a mini tournament could be interesting.

The NHL and all the major sports leagues and unions are never going to pass up the chance to make money.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The NHL and all the major sports leagues and unions are never going to pass up the chance to make money.

Very true. That's why this is worth a shot. Baseball did the home field advantage just to attempt to keep this particular game interesting.

In the same vein as free agency and increased player movement, when they came up with the all-star game concept, it was when people didn't have the ability to see every team every night. Wow, we get to watch Player X? We never get to see that guy! That all-star games have always been bad didn't matter. Now you can see every game or highlight anywhere at all hours of the day. Rotary phones used to be amazing too.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Isn't that the point? It's once a year and every fourth year it doesn't happen at all.

The BEST players in the league playing 3 on 3? Or are you the one person that doesn't like the 3v3 OT this year?

Personally, I don't see how anyone could watch our OT against Philly last night and NOT want to see 60 minutes of that action.

If there's a gimmick that needs to go right now, it's the stupid outdoor games and all the overblown hoopla that goes with them.

EIDT: I'll add that a 3v3 is less gimmicky than a 5v5 all-star game where the players aren't allowed to hit. IMO, that's as bad as the stupid Pro Bowl where defense isn't allowed to blitz.

I don't mind the 3 on 3 overtimes because it almost never goes to a shootout which is what the point of the new format is for. And as exciting as the new overtimes can be, 20 minutes of constant breakaways and outnumbered attacks would get really old really fast for me.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles

Sports with nothing on the line is boring.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah, I'm just saying that 3on3 OT is exciting because the players are busting ass and something tangible is on the line. In an all-star game, neither of those things is the case. It will be a breakaway fest.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I'm just saying that 3on3 OT is exciting because the players are busting ass and something tangible is on the line. In an all-star game, neither of those things is the case. It will be a breakaway fest.

The winners get to split $1M between 11 of them, which is a little over $90K per player, enough to buy them a nice luxury car.

Not a bad pay day for playing 40 minutes of hockey.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How about the team that wins the tournament, each team in that division gets a point in the standings? The team with the MVP, gets 2 points. That's ridiculous, but the all-star game is a pre-internet idea. A pre-cable idea. Damn near a pre-television idea.

Maybe go with $1 million per player on the winning team, instead of less than $100,000. At least make it the league minimum per player. How about the league minimum per player out of Bettman's own pocket? Now that's motivation.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
On how the players will be selected:
Fans vote will determine 4 players, 1 from each division. The rest of the team will be selected by NHL Operations, and min 1 per NHL team.

Schuyler Baehman ‏@NHLschuylerb · 5h5 hours ago
For 2016 NHL All-Star Fan Vote, fans vote 1 player from each Division, regardless of position. Top vote-getters = All-Star team captains.

Schuyler Baehman ‏@NHLschuylerb · 5h5 hours ago
After fans vote 4 in, remaining 40 NHL All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations, with at least one selected from each NHL team.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Yes a bunch of meaningless goals in a stupid format. The ASG biggest problem was no defense being played, this will fix that.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes a bunch of meaningless goals in a stupid format. The ASG biggest problem was no defense being played, this will fix that.��

Exactly. This is a very "main forum hfboards" idea.

"MORE GOALS!! that's all that is needed and will make the NHL the most popular sport on the planet!!!!"

That's just not why hockey is great.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, it'll get me to watch this year, so that's one viewer up from the previous few years. Putting a little bit of something on the line in a million bucks helps, as does making it a mini-tourney.

If the argument is 3v3 is just a gimmick, why WOULDN'T it be the perfect gimmick for an all-star game? I'd rather see end to end odd man rushes than the fake defense played in the current all star game with no space.

And to mbar I agree in a way, it's not more goals that are needed (i.e. fixing goalie gear does nothing for me), but more scoring chances. This format addresses that for at least this game.

Then again, if you don't like the concept of an allstar game anyway (especially in contact sports, lolprobowl), this isn't going to change your mind.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not finalized yet...although techincally the WC would be next season...

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 4h4 hours ago

Piggybacking off what @DennisTFP reported yesterday, sounds like the All-Star Game won't be every season moving forward. Not finalized yet.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 4h4 hours ago

Still TBD/agreed upon between NHL/NHLPA, but objective is to have players participate in only 1 main event each season (ASG, WC, Olympics)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad