OT: NHL exploring virtual reality with NextVR's live streaming technology.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
http://uploadvr.com/nhl-filming-in-vr-with-nextvr/

This is something the NBA has shown full support for already so I'm happy to see the NHL getting on board with this medium.

The shoot, which was the second the NHL has done, featured a game between the LA Kings and the San Jose Sharks this past weekend at Levi Stadium in San Jose as part of the 2015 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series. Using a pair of cameras, one 180-degree camera placed behind the glass near the end zone faceoff circle and one 360-degree camera placed in the stands, NextVR captured the Kings 2-1 victory over the Sharks. The shoot included a live streamed VR transmission of the game directly from the ice, in 3D.

As someone who has used the Oculus Rift development kit headset, I am absolutely floored by this technology. Being able to watch a Bruins game and feel like I'm there at a home game when I'm not would be ridiculously awesome especially for those of us who can't actually get out and see it live.

For those of you who don't know how it works.. what happens is an image is rendered stereoscopically in a headset (side by side image) and lenses converge and blow up the image all around you tricking your brain into thinking you're within a 3d space. It works with still photographs, live action cameras and 3d rendered environments. It feels like you occupy an actual three dimensional space.. it's absolutely jaw dropping.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
I still want to play Alien: Isolation with the Oculus Rift so I can terror **** all over myself.

This sounds incredible, though. I definitely want to try it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad