Rumor: NHL Expansion --how it changes Bruins roster management

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Hopefully Dom pops in early and often on this thread to give us the proper information regarding all the rules *but* what I do know is that the NHL is seriously looking at 2 team expansion next season with 3 very, very good options in Vegas, Seattle and Quebec. Quebec is ready right now but the process is in the way first. I believe they have to have their intentions made clear to the league by this coming Monday with about 10m down (2m of that is non-refundable).

Let us just say here for a minute that there are 2 teams put through for next year and an expansion draft shortly after the SC season ends--does that change how you do things this year? I think so --how many games does a player have until they are eligible to be picked up off of expansion waivers?

I'm assuming that every team will be able to protect 1 goalie, 4 D, and 6 forwards (with other rules in place to stop one team from being picked through). I'm assuming that means that neither Zane or Malcolm get any games this year.

It also may change how I approach a Franson (if we want him as a stop-gap) sign him to a higher term and leave him unprotected next year if he isn't hitting expectations as an expansion team would gladly grab him from you if the salary isn't crazy. Wouldn't Franson be better off taking a(nother) 1 year deal to hit the market next year with more spots and $ available? Seidenberg may be a guy that an expansion team grabs off of you for a vet presence.

Protected:
Goalie:
Rask

Defense:
Chara (have to)
Krug
McQuaid
???

Forwards:
Bergeron
Pastrnak
Krejci
Marchand
Spooner
???????

Any thoughts on this? Anybody read through the new CBA on possible expansion draft protocol?

Thoughts?

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Doesn't the CDN dollar dropping, and expected to drop below 2003 levels, per the Governor of BoC, suggest we won't get any franchises?

Sorry, don't mean to derail your original intention here.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The expansion draft has to be a little different than last time, especially with the salary cap. Whether that means it's different in rules, or different just in how the strategy works out, I'm not sure.

One of the bright points I tried to find in the Hamilton trade (before it was revealed that it was mostly Dougie's request) was that we now have three players who, if fast-tracked and if they get enough games under their belt, could be put up as draft bait. Also, it means one more defenseman that we can protect.

Granted, that strategy's like shooting yourself in the leg to prevent yourself from running head-first into a train. The day of the Dougie trade, I was trying to look for ANYTHING good, and the expansion draft was one of the possible bright points.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
USA television rights will up to negotiations and word has it being doubtful Canadian gets a team before then.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
2000 NHL Expansion Draft: one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. I don't think it would be that different this time.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can say the league and the PA are talking about possible rules. There is nothing in the CBA that discusses expansion draft rules.

If you go by the last expansion:

If you protect only one goaltender, there was no games played requirements for any goalie you left unprotected. Which means McIntyre/Subban would be there for the taking.

However, this is why the back up role is so important this year. I've talked about this in the past and it has gotten ignored.

This is why you play Smith in the back up role or another veteran and leave the kids in Providence. Then, you protect Rask and Subban and expose the backup. But then you can only protect 3 d

In that case, you have to make a goalie available with 10 games NHL experience or 25 over the last two seasons. Enter Smith (or another veteran back up). But then the day of the draft comes into play. Will Smith be under contract then?

You also have to leave a defenseman unprotected who plays in 40 games this upcoming season or 70 over the previous two.

Definitely, it's going to play a role for the Bruins and their roster decision, especially with the goaltending and on d.

But without the process set in stone, there are many questions. Obviously the league will keep GM's fully informed regularly. Right now, we can only go by the last expansion draft.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I can say the league and the PA are talking about possible rules. There is nothing in the CBA that discusses expansion draft rules.

If you go by the last expansion:

If you protect only one goaltender, there was no games played requirements for any goalie you left unprotected. Which means McIntyre/Subban would be there for the taking.

However, this is why the back up role is so important this year. I've talked about this in the past and it has gotten ignored.

This is why you play Smith in the back up role or another veteran and leave the kids in Providence. Then, you protect Rask and Subban and expose the backup. But then you can only protect 3 d

In that case, you have to make a goalie available with 10 games NHL experience or 25 over the last two seasons. Enter Smith (or another veteran back up). But then the day of the draft comes into play. Will Smith be under contract then?

You also have to leave a defenseman unprotected who plays in 40 games this upcoming season or 70 over the previous two.

Definitely, it's going to play a role for the Bruins and their roster decision, especially with the goaltending and on d.

But without the process set in stone, there are many questions. Obviously the league will keep GM's fully informed regularly. Right now, we can only go by the last expansion draft.

With the exception of perhaps Krug, which D would we even want to protect.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
With the exception of perhaps Krug, which D would we even want to protect.

Me?

Krug, Chara, Seids. Seids depends on whether they bring someone else in. Personally, I expose McQuaid. Not a fan of his contract.

Also not worried about protecting any UFA's like Eriksson. No one is going to draft them when they can easily walk.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
You know, with this glut of picks and young (possible) talent Don could be QUITE CRAFTY. He could bury quality in juniors, AHL and bring up the "tweeners for life" when it counts. Leave them open, protect your assets by holding them back just a tad.

jaymez33

Dec 1, 2014
I doubt Chara would be protected by choice, only way he's protected is if nmc applies to expansion draft

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
You know, with this glut of picks and young (possible) talent Don could be QUITE CRAFTY. He could bury quality in juniors, AHL and bring up the "tweeners for life" when it counts. Leave them open, protect your assets by holding them back just a tad.

See, that is one of the things I'm saying here ---some people are saying we could give Carlo a cup of coffee for a few games at the start of the year to get a taste of the NHL and see how it goes* but that could have huge repercussions if that then means he has to be protected next summer.

*For the record: just let him go back to 3City --be the alpha-male captain there, develop his body, develop his offensive game and then see where we are at next year.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I assuming that guys with NMCs would be mandatory to protect.

The CBA doesn't mention anything about NMCs regarding an expansion draft as far as I know. No movement would imply exemption from an expansion draft thinking logically, since it is a move, but the CBA is pretty specific about what you can and can not do to a player with an NMC, except when it comes to expansion drafts, whether that omission is intentional or not remains to be seen. So this might get interesting. And ugly.
3 NMCs on the Bs as far as I know, Rask, Bergy and Z off the top of my head ? I suppose it's a moot point as far as the Bruins are concerned anyway, they'd probably protect all 3 regardless of the NMC.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think guys like Franson are feeling the pinch.

sure are, actually, this was one of those rarest summers where, while I saw or felt there were a few overpayments, none so much that had me going:amazed:

I don`t know, are GM`s just smartening up? Is this the way things will continue moving forward? I haven`t a clue

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
hope the make the move to Quebec City. More bruin game for me to go see

Due to economic concerns and the falling Canadian dollar I think Quebec is likely going to have to wait. The timing here is just as bad as it could possibly be for a city that is fully ready to go. What a shame.:(

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
2000 NHL Expansion Draft: one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. I don't think it would be that different this time.

Based on this criteria:
If McIntyre not eligible:
G: Rask
D: Chara, McQuaid, Trotman, Krug, C. Miller
F: Bergeron, Krejci, Spooner, Pastrnak, Beleskey, Hayes, Marchand, Connolly, Eriksson

Otherwise:
G: Rask, McIntyre
D: Chara (deserves it), McQuaid, Trotman (Know I'll catch hell)
F: Bergeron, Krejci, Spooner, Pastrnak, Beleskey, Hayes, Marchand

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Why would you protect Chara?

Current: Chara, Seidenberg, Krug, McQuaid, Kevin Miller, Matt Irwin

Possibly 15-16 defenseman (without additional roster moves): Collin Miller, Zach Trotman, Joe Morrow, and (longshot?) Jakub Zboril

We can protect 5?

Out of the current; with age and skill level: Krug is the only one with both age and skill in his favor; Chara is basically not replaceable, even if declining. Seidenberg has to prove he can return to form, given his age, this year can go either way. McQuaid is a solid roster player, but the Bruins wouldn't lose their captain before him, and Kevin Miller and Matt Irwin are replaceable. That leaves protecting: Krug. And probably: Chara, McQuaid. See how Seidenberg does this season, and unless Kevin Miller or Matt Irwin improve, there's not a whole lot of reason to protect them over younger players.

So... unless the Bruins need to expose 2 or more of the possible 15-16 defenseman, there is absolutely no reason not to protect Chara.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
That might be the worst possible protect selection if they choose to protect 3. Chara you keep because he's the captain, but McQuaid and Trotman over all the other options just seems insane. Krug is so far ahead of both of them in importance and skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad