Speculation: NHL expansion draft

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I found this here

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...ansion-draft-seattle-quebec-toronto-las-vegas

Rules from the 2000 NHL expansion draft:

Option 1:

Protect one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards
No experience requirement for unprotected goalies
At least one defenceman and two forwards left unprotected has to have appeared in at least 40 games in the previous season or 70 games in the previous two seasons combined.
Option 2:

Protect two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards
Each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the previous season or 25 games in the previous two seasons combined. TOI must be greater than or equal to 31 minutes to count as a game played.
At least one defenceman and two forwards left unprotected has to have appeared in at least 40 games in the previous season or 70 games in the previous two seasons combined.
In both cases, only one defenseman or goaltender could be picked from each team, and only two players could be picked from each team.

Who's eligibile? I'm glad you asked. In 2000, this was the case:

Exempt from the Expansion Draft are (i) all first and second-year pros and (ii) unsigned draft choices (except unsigned draft choices drafted from European clubs [drafted at least 4 years ago] and who remain unsigned).

Say this was happening in 2015, when Quebec's new arena is scheduled to open. Who do you protect?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I would make my worst contracts available ONLY :laugh:

Most of our prospect pool are unsigned and the ones that are are just finishing their first year so if the expansion happened in 2016; Zadarov, Risto, Girgensons would defiantly be protected. Our core would stay in tact, it would be players like Weber and Hodgson who aren't protected especially if Hodgson can't turn it around.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Could someone maybe compile a quick list of players who would be in play? Then we could all easily say which ones we would protect

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
As of Jan 20, 2015

Forwards
MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO
NICOLAS DESLAURIERS
MATT ELLIS
TYLER ENNIS
BRIAN FLYNN
BRIAN GIONTA
ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS
CODY HODGSON
PATRICK KALETA
CODY MCCORMICK
TORREY MITCHELL
MATT MOULSON
DREW STAFFORD
CHRIS STEWART
PHILIP VARONE

Defensemen
ANDRE BENOIT
JOSH GORGES
ANDREJ MESZAROS
TYLER MYERS
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
TYSON STRACHAN
MIKE WEBER
NIKITA ZADOROV

GOALIES
JHONAS ENROTH
MICHAL NEUVIRTH

not entirely sure of who on the Amerks would qualify

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just a random thought, but you'd have to imagine that expansion teams would be exempt from the cap floor for a couple years. Anyhow, the 2015 draft is in 6 months. I really don't think expansion will happen until the 2016 offseason.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Who I would protect:

Forwards
MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO
NICOLAS DESLAURIERS
TYLER ENNIS
ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS

Defensemen
JOSH GORGES
TYLER MYERS
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
NIKITA ZADOROV

GOALIES
JHONAS ENROTH

Of course this would change after next season, when it might get a little scary if we have an abundance of young talent on the team. The first two I would drop are Deslauriers and Gorges.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
As of Jan 20, 2015

Forwards
MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO
NICOLAS DESLAURIERS
MATT ELLIS
TYLER ENNIS
BRIAN FLYNN
BRIAN GIONTA
ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS
CODY HODGSON
PATRICK KALETA
CODY MCCORMICK
TORREY MITCHELL
MATT MOULSON
DREW STAFFORD
CHRIS STEWART
PHILIP VARONE

Defensemen
ANDRE BENOIT
JOSH GORGES
ANDREJ MESZAROS
TYLER MYERS
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
TYSON STRACHAN
MIKE WEBER
NIKITA ZADOROV

GOALIES
JHONAS ENROTH
MICHAL NEUVIRTH

not entirely sure of who on the Amerks would qualify

Zadorov and Ristolainen would be exempt under the rules of the previous expansion draft. They are second-year pros.

edit: Zadorov is actually a first-year pro.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Who I would protect:

Forwards
MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO
NICOLAS DESLAURIERS
TYLER ENNIS
ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS

Defensemen
JOSH GORGES
TYLER MYERS
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
NIKITA ZADOROV

GOALIES
JHONAS ENROTH

Of course this would change after next season, when it might get a little scary if we have an abundance of young talent on the team. The first two I would drop are Deslauriers and Gorges.

You wouldn't protect Moulson? Absolute insanity

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
Just a random thought, but you'd have to imagine that expansion teams would be exempt from the cap floor for a couple years.

i dont see that as a viable option. Im sure the NHLPA would have something to say about it (CBA).

Lots of contracts they could take on that have higher cap figures than real salary.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
i dont see that as a viable option. Im sure the NHLPA would have something to say about it (CBA).

Lots of contracts they could take on that have higher cap figures than real salary.

I suppose you're right about the NHLPA. My thought wasn't about having to spend the money so much as having to acquire enough cap hits somehow, but I suppose every team will expose its bad contracts which the expansion teams will be OK taking on.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Hodgson would actually be a good pick up for an expansion team. Has put up multiple 40+ point seasons, signed long term and is turning 25. He could be a good first line center on an expansion team. Hell, put Hodgson on the expansion era Columbus, Atlanta or Nashville squads and he would be one of the best forwards on the team.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I suppose you're right about the NHLPA. My thought wasn't about having to spend the money so much as having to acquire enough cap hits somehow, but I suppose every team will expose its bad contracts which the expansion teams will be OK taking on.

Ya I gotta think guys like Clarkson and Hodgson would be taken by an expansion team. There are just not gonna be a lot of good options, and horrific gambles like that are probably gonna happen.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ya I gotta think guys like Clarkson and Hodgson would be taken by an expansion team. There are just not gonna be a lot of good options, and horrific gambles like that are probably gonna happen.

If you think about it, it'll probably be at least three years before those teams really have players worth spending up to the cap on, so those Clarkson and Hodgson contracts will almost be done by then.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
All I can say is it will be exciting to have 4 more teams, if it comes to that. I may root for Quebec out of necessity. Or a Seattle team, damn!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad