NHL-ers arrival at Sochi

Zaborsky

Jan 17, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Last games in nhl this week are saturday night, this means sunday morning in sochi, you need time to take the plane from the game home, then from home to russia, somehow you have to pick the family,realistic seems to be monday

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Last games in nhl this week are saturday night, this means sunday morning in sochi, you need time to take the plane from the game home, then from home to russia, somehow you have to pick the family,realistic seems to be monday

The NHL has 4 charters for all players heading to Sochi on Feb. 9. Arriving in Sochi on Monday the 10th. There are 2 on the east coast and 2 on the west coast, so depending on where your team is playing you have to get to one of those destination points. So, no, you don't necessarily have to get back to your NHL city in order to begin the trek to Sochi.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
I would love to be on one of those planes to witness the interaction between the players on the long flight to Russia.

Last edited:

pecheq

Aug 5, 2013
Prague, Czech Rep.
Czech news: All NHLers (means all nations together) are supposed to come on Monday 10 Feb. Between 9AM and 1PM local time. 4 special flights are planned.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
The NHL has 4 charters for all players heading to Sochi on Feb. 9. Arriving in Sochi on Monday the 10th. There are 2 on the east coast and 2 on the west coast, so depending on where your team is playing you have to get to one of those destination points. So, no, you don't necessarily have to get back to your NHL city in order to begin the trek to Sochi.

I wonder where the departure points are. The most likely to me are New York, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Vancouver.

And for completeness' sake, here's the last game for each team before the break:

Anaheim: 2/8 @ Nashville
Boston: 2/8 vs. Ottawa
Buffalo: 2/6 @ Ottawa
Calgary: 2/8 @ Philadelphia
Carolina: 2/8 vs. Montreal
Chicago: 2/7 @ Phoenix
Colorado: 2/8 @ NY Islanders
Columbus: 2/7 @ San Jose
Dallas: 2/8 vs. Phoenix
Detroit: 2/8 @ Tampa Bay
Edmonton: 2/7 @ New Jersey
Florida: 2/7 @ Carolina
Los Angeles: 2/6 vs. Columbus
Minnesota: 2/6 vs. Nashville
Montreal: 2/8 @ Carolina
Nashville: 2/8 vs. Anaheim
New Jersey: 2/8 @ Washington
NY Islanders: 2/8 vs. Colorado
NY Rangers: 2/7 @ Pittsburgh
Ottawa: 2/8 @ Boston
Philadelphia: 2/8 vs. Calgary
Phoenix: 2/8 @ Dallas
Pittsburgh: 2/7 vs. NY Rangers
San Jose: 2/7 vs. Columbus
St. Louis: 2/8 vs. Winnipeg
Tampa Bay: 2/8 vs. Detroit
Toronto: 2/8 vs. Vancouver
Vancouver: 2/8 vs. Toronto
Washington: 2/8 vs. New Jersey
Winnipeg: 2/8 @ St. Louis

I would assume the players on each team going to Sochi would go to the departure airport closest to where they are Saturday night.

EDIT: Might have found my answer. ESPN says 3 of the charters will depart from Newark, and the fourth from Chicago:

77. NHL players taking part in the Olympics will take one of four charters that will depart Feb. 9, three from Newark and one from Chicago.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9894341/nhl-100-things-need-know-heading-sochi-olympics

Last edited:

jjyay

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder where the departure points are. The most likely to me are New York, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Vancouver.

And for completeness' sake, here's the last game for each team before the break:

Anaheim: 2/8 @ Nashville
Boston: 2/8 vs. Ottawa
Buffalo: 2/6 @ Ottawa
Calgary: 2/8 @ Philadelphia
Carolina: 2/8 vs. Montreal
Chicago: 2/7 @ Phoenix
Colorado: 2/8 @ NY Islanders
Columbus: 2/7 @ San Jose
Dallas: 2/8 vs. Phoenix
Detroit: 2/8 @ Tampa Bay
Edmonton: 2/7 @ New Jersey
Florida: 2/7 @ Carolina
Los Angeles: 2/6 vs. Columbus
Minnesota: 2/6 vs. Nashville
Montreal: 2/8 @ Carolina
Nashville: 2/8 vs. Anaheim
New Jersey: 2/8 @ Washington
NY Islanders: 2/8 vs. Colorado
NY Rangers: 2/7 @ Pittsburgh
Ottawa: 2/8 @ Boston
Philadelphia: 2/8 vs. Calgary
Phoenix: 2/8 @ Dallas
Pittsburgh: 2/7 vs. NY Rangers
San Jose: 2/7 vs. Columbus
St. Louis: 2/8 vs. Winnipeg
Tampa Bay: 2/8 vs. Detroit
Toronto: 2/8 vs. Vancouver
Vancouver: 2/8 vs. Toronto
Washington: 2/8 vs. New Jersey
Winnipeg: 2/8 @ St. Louis

I would assume the players on each team going to Sochi would go to the departure airport closest to where they are Saturday night.

EDIT: Might have found my answer. ESPN says 3 of the charters will depart from Newark, and the fourth from Chicago:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9894341/nhl-100-things-need-know-heading-sochi-olympics

There was a TSN video that said that Newark and Atlanta were the two departure cities. Leaving mid-day Sunday, arriving mid-day Monday. There are no games on the west coast on Saturday (furthest game west is in Dallas), and the latest game starts 8 pm EST to give players enough time to get to one of the two cities.

Last edited:

aloonda*

what are various teams doing with their players that aren't going during the break?

I haven't seen much on that....?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
what are various teams doing with their players that aren't going during the break?

I haven't seen much on that....?

Mandatory ten day break I believe from the 9th to the 19th. Then I know the Leafs are having a mini training camp before the season resumes. Not sure about other teams.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Mandatory ten day break I believe from the 9th to the 19th. Then I know the Leafs are having a mini training camp before the season resumes. Not sure about other teams.

Jets have announced they're having a mini-training camp, to allow Maurice to implement more of his systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad