NHL Edmonton to purchase ECHL Bakersfield

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
An interesting development for sure.

The Trenton Devils were owned by the NJ Devils from 2007-11, but I can't recall another AA team which was owned by an NHL club in the past few decades.

If the NHL would invest at a significant level in ownership at the ECHL/AA hockey and it created a 30-30-30 alignment, then AA hockey would achieve the stabilizing point it has long needed.

I don't really expect something like this to occur, but it's a fun scenario to speculate about.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011

The Trenton Devils were owned by the NJ Devils from 2007-11, but I can't recall another AA team which was owned by an NHL club in the past few decades.

If the NHL would invest at a significant level in ownership at the ECHL/AA hockey and it created a 30-30-30 alignment, then AA hockey would achieve the stabilizing point it has long needed.

I don't really expect something like this to occur, but it's a fun scenario to speculate about.

Tampa Bay owned Johnstown from 2005 through either 07 or 08.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Interesting.
Especially when you consider how much the Oilers AHL team is struggling at the gate. OKC is one of the worst attended AHL teams in the league. They only average 3,000

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
LA Kings own Ontario ECHL.

Thsi is a HUGE game changer for Bako. Fleisig has a history of running Bako like a non-profit. This year is the FIRST year that he has stepped up. Now Bako will have pro scouts in the off season as well. Troy Mann stepped down form being an assistant coach at hershey to head coach here but to get back to the AHL. Bako was suppossed to be an independent team this year. When Mann went to the draft Edmonton immediately jumped on board with Bako. In fact three other teams wanted in as well, but Bako went with Edmonton.

It iwll be interesitng as to what happens now. Edmonton is NOT going to make the post season. OKC is struggling and will only make it when the send downs occur. Also Bako has struggled with goal tenders. About two months into the season we had 3 NHL contracted goal tenders going back and forth. Now we have LB who is the real deal.

The real question is with the potential of the NHL going to LV will AHL come to bako with significantly higher attendance and support than OKC.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Innnteresting. Makes me wonder if Edmonton is looking for a landing place for their struggling OKC AHL franchise and buying out the Condors to be able to do it without any interference from the existing team... or if instead they're really looking to just own the whole chain.

I still wonder if we're looking at Monarchs->Ontario or Monarchs->San Diego and Oil Barons->Bakersfield... not sure if the ECHL teams would continue or not. Guess we'll know when we know :)

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Innnteresting. Makes me wonder if Edmonton is looking for a landing place for their struggling OKC AHL franchise and buying out the Condors to be able to do it without any interference from the existing team... or if instead they're really looking to just own the whole chain.

I still wonder if we're looking at Monarchs->Ontario or Monarchs->San Diego and Oil Barons->Bakersfield... not sure if the ECHL teams would continue or not. Guess we'll know when we know :)

Ontario has higher fan base than Monarchs.

Airfare and travel length is both cheaper and faster from LAX to Edmonton versus OKC.

How soon until the sweetheart deal with Abbottsford and the city runs out???

AHL has got to move west if the NHL is looking at both Seattle and LV for NHL teams.

As a side note I think OKC is 100% owned by Edmonton. In the case of Bako I am sure Fleisig will still be a minority owner. As such Edmonton will save many dollars in both the cost of running the team with both a wealthy minority owner as well as nearly double the attendance.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I think its a good thing if you look at it some of the other teams owned in the past nhl that owned it didn't care about the lower level franchise like trenton and jersey . The devils ran that franchise into the ground at least in this situation is Edmonton might actually help the situation. I'm still hoping The caps or the Hershey buy Reading.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I think its a good thing if you look at it some of the other teams owned in the past nhl that owned it didn't care about the lower level franchise like trenton and jersey . The devils ran that franchise into the ground at least in this situation is Edmonton might actually help the situation. I'm still hoping The caps or the Hershey buy Reading.

The GM of Hockey operations for OKC was at our last game and will be tonight. he met with fans after the game and took questions. It was interesting once you got past the obviosu stupid ones which are out of his realm like the name of the team changing etc.

I asked him the following question: The ECHL is typically a warehouse for 4th liner AHL guys and typically AHL will call up ECHL guys and many tiems they simply sit int he arena. He agreed and siad that Bako is different and was purcahsed for a completley different reason. Edmonton owns teams form WHL to NHL inclusive. There are 20 NHL contracts that can be used and unlimited AHL ones however no team wants to excise all 50 NHl nor do they want to throw around AHL contracts form an economic standpoint. Bako has a single pupose. Startnext next eyar and possible later on towards the ned of this season, Edmonton's scouts will be looking at both independent ECHL players and NCAA/Junior kids. The purpose is to attract them to Bako will there will be Edmonton people on a regular basis to evaluate them. Bako/OKC and Oilers will utilize essentially the same system so that there will not be a disparity when changing levels. 4th liners paly an average of 7-8 minutes in the AHL. They will be sent periodically to BAko to play 25-30 minutes in order to work on their individual skills. Currently the one of the Edmonton goalie coaches has been in Bako working with the goal tenders.

So in short Bako will be part of a REAL developmental process. How it will affect the play on the ice will be interesting. I would assume we will be stacked with the max vets for learning purposes and Edmonton people will be here regualrly. It is far cheaper to sign a youngster and develop him rahter than singing a multi-million dollar contract to buy the talent. For Bako fans one thing is obvious clear. We have an owner that is seriously interested int he product on the ice rather than what the break even is to seat 5,000 fans each night. yes it is a busienss, but in our case it is a business of hockey and not a non-profit corporation.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan

The GM of Hockey operations for OKC was at our last game and will be tonight. he met with fans after the game and took questions. It was interesting once you got past the obviosu stupid ones which are out of his realm like the name of the team changing etc.

I asked him the following question: The ECHL is typically a warehouse for 4th liner AHL guys and typically AHL will call up ECHL guys and many tiems they simply sit int he arena. He agreed and siad that Bako is different and was purcahsed for a completley different reason. Edmonton owns teams form WHL to NHL inclusive. There are 20 NHL contracts that can be used and unlimited AHL ones however no team wants to excise all 50 NHl nor do they want to throw around AHL contracts form an economic standpoint. Bako has a single pupose. Startnext next eyar and possible later on towards the ned of this season, Edmonton's scouts will be looking at both independent ECHL players and NCAA/Junior kids. The purpose is to attract them to Bako will there will be Edmonton people on a regular basis to evaluate them. Bako/OKC and Oilers will utilize essentially the same system so that there will not be a disparity when changing levels. 4th liners paly an average of 7-8 minutes in the AHL. They will be sent periodically to BAko to play 25-30 minutes in order to work on their individual skills. Currently the one of the Edmonton goalie coaches has been in Bako working with the goal tenders.

So in short Bako will be part of a REAL developmental process. How it will affect the play on the ice will be interesting. I would assume we will be stacked with the max vets for learning purposes and Edmonton people will be here regualrly. It is far cheaper to sign a youngster and develop him rahter than singing a multi-million dollar contract to buy the talent. For Bako fans one thing is obvious clear. We have an owner that is seriously interested int he product on the ice rather than what the break even is to seat 5,000 fans each night. yes it is a busienss, but in our case it is a business of hockey and not a non-profit corporation.

These sentiments are what needs to take place in my mind. Nice to see like it looks like Edmonton is taking the steps into that and utilizing a top-down development method. I've said in other threads I don't think the NHL as a whole sees this as enough of a positive to invest the resources into it though.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
These sentiments are what needs to take place in my mind. Nice to see like it looks like Edmonton is taking the steps into that and utilizing a top-down development method. I've said in other threads I don't think the NHL as a whole sees this as enough of a positive to invest the resources into it though.

There's a trick to this... if I want to see my pessimism go away, and if we want to see other NHL teams follow in these footsteps.

Can Edmonton sell a couple players on to the KHL without affecting their performance?

That's how a "smaller team" makes money or keeps their heads above water in Europe. Of course, the difference in cultures and structures betwen nations and leagues probably prevent that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad