5 picks. I am under the impression that the bottom five finishers draw from a
lottery, but does each team have an equal chance or do you get more ballots
the further done you are? Also does the lottery process continue all the way
through(ie.6-10,61-65 etc.)?

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
I know the last place overall has a 25% chance of getting the first overall pick, and the next few decline in %'s up till 4th or 5th overall....all I know

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
GoM said:
I know the last place overall has a 25% chance of getting the first overall pick, and the next few decline in %'s up till 4th or 5th overall....all I know

I think the last place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery, but a 40% chance of getting the first pick.

diablo

Mar 1, 2004
Also the 16 teams that do make the playoffs are seeded by where they finished in the standings.
15th pick - playoff team with least points.
30th pick - playoff team with most points.

Michalek

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
diablo said:
Also the 16 teams that do make the playoffs are seeded by where they finished in the standings.
15th pick - playoff team with least points.
30th pick - playoff team with most points.

I was sure that Cup Winner has 30th overall

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Everyone out of the playoffs is in the lottery. The lottery moves a team up 4 spots. The last place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery, but about a 48% chance of retaining the top pick, since if anyone below 5th wins, the last place team keeps the pick. Then, the Stanley Cup champ gets the last pick in the first round and all the other playoff teams are ranked by points.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The current percentage chance of being selected in the Draft Drawing is as follows, based on team finish:
30th........... 25.0%
29th........... 18.8%
28th........... 14.2%
27th........... 10.7%
26th............. 8.1%
25th............. 6.2%
24th............. 4.7%
23rd............. 3.6%
22nd............ 2.7%
21st............. 2.1%
20th............. 1.5%
19th............. 1.1%
18th............. 0.8%
17th............. 0.5%

Only the bottom 5 teams have a chance of moving up the first overall picks(teams can only move up 4 spots, for example from 7th to 3rd).
Factoring in the percentage of teams outside of the bottom 5 winning the lottery, the odds add up to...
30th............48.2%
29th........... 18.8%
28th........... 14.2%
27th........... 10.7%
26th............. 8.1%

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
The assistant director of media relations for the NHL was on the Penguins' pregame last evening and gave a rundown of the mechanics of the draft lottery. He explained the lottery this way:

A lottery machine similar to those you see in your state lottery drawing is used. 14 balls (numbered 1 to 14) are placed in the machine. At a precisely determined interval, four of the balls are drawn.

Four balls are used because the possible combination of number sequences using four balls drawn from numbers 1-14 is 1001. Prior to the drawing of the winning number sequence, 1000 of the possible number sequences are randomly assigned by a computer to the teams that did not qualify for the playoffs and the one remaining number sequence is randomly discarded. The number of numerical sequences assigned corresponds to the percentage the team has of winning the lottery.

On April 6, the day of the lottery drawing, the sequence of the numbers drawn determines the lottery winner. For example, if 13-1-5-3 was drawn, the team that was assigned that precise number sequence would be the lottery winner.​

Any team not in the playoffs can win the lottery but only the "bottom 5" teams can advance into the top slot. The rest of the teams would move up four slots if they won, bumping the four teams ahead of them back one, and the rest of the draft order would remain the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad