GDT: NHL Draft Weekend Part III

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One good thing is we added a ton of bulk. We really needed a large quantity of picks to refill parts of the prospect pool.

RW depth has been greatly improved.

Edit: I also like the Beau trade. A solid use of a third rounder when we had a bunch of them to begin with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I give us a B+.

It wasn't exactly a sexy draft, but we added some definite NHL players in the early parts of the draft, and a bunch of intriguing prospects later on that could turn into steals. Our organizational forward depth is greatly improved, especially on the right side which was a huge need.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I give us a B+.

It wasn't exactly a sexy draft, but we added some definite NHL players in the early parts of the draft, and a bunch of intriguing prospects later on that could turn into steals. Our organizational forward depth is greatly improved, especially on the right side which was a huge need.

Great point. Outside of the top picks, no one from the draft is sliding in to play right away anyway. Gonna take a few years to see how all of these guys pan out.

But the prospect pool is much better today for sure

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean every one of the higher picks is always going to get nitpicked and almost every one of the lower picks is going to look great cause they're lower picks but in general I do like the philosophy of taking chances on skill guys late that this organization's done in its two drafts.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Great point. Outside of the top picks, no one from the draft is sliding in to play right away anyway. Gonna take a few years to see how all of these guys pan out.

But the prospect pool is much better today for sure

More depth now also gives us more pieces to potentially trade for a bigger piece at a deadline when we are ready to try and make a deep run.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Full breakdown for me:

Michael McLeod: B+
Mad at first, then frustrated but I've warmed up to him a lot. He has potential to be an integral part of the team for a long time. With the other big names off the board I was hoping Bellows or Kunin but am very happy with McLeod at this point.

Nathan Bastian: A-
I feel good about this pick. Actually, I feel great about it. Besides his instant chemistry with his boy McLeod he brings a lot to the table and is huge. I mean he's 6'4" and grew during the season. He is projected at a center long term and is a tremendous playmaker. I have a hard time finding anything negative about him except what Cordell says(and honestly Cordell is really getting on my nerves knocking every guy who isn't elite offensively). Remember Burrows with the Sedins? That's what his impact feels like. I honestly think he will be an impact player in the league as a great power forward. If he improves his skating, I kind of like a Ryan Getzlaf comp stylistically.

Joey Anderson: B+
I like this pick a lot too. He got overlooked because he was with two first rounders but is a good player in his own right. He looked great at the U-18 championship and really plays hard. He might not excel offensively but he is an important component of a team. Whoever brought up the Hartnell comp is pretty accurate.

Beau Bennett Trade: B+
Well this is probably the most expected thing we did all weekend. And I like it. Bennett has potential to be a top-6 forward if he's healthy. He's a really good player and is smart, really he sees the ice well and can make plays. He's still only 24 and while he unfortunately has had injury setbacks he has a ton of potential still. At least he has a high hockey IQ.

Brandon Gignac: B+
I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this kid before the draft. With that said, I love what we're hearing. I'll default to Kourianos and what Steven said about him but with the videos and the potential it's hard not to be excited about this pick. He oozes skill but isn't physical and shies away from contact.

Mikhail Maltsev: B
Also I have no idea about him either. Big winger that plays a complete game. Steven had another great write up on this kid and he is really a great upside player. He put up pretty impressive stats.

Evan Cormier: C
Disappointed in this pick not because we could've had someone else but because Cormier isn't interesting to me. He doesn't stand out at all and I know he had a terrible team in front of him, he did nothing to stand out. I thought this was our worse pick by a longshot.

Yegor Rykov: A
Love this pick. Rykov had an outstanding tournament and is one of the better defensemen in the middle of the draft. He was passed over for his lackluster defense last year but really came around and is a good two way guy. He might be my favorite late pick for us. He played very well in the KHL as a 19 year old.

Jesper Bratt: B+
Who? Seriously, this guy is all skill but struggles on the boards and with physicality. This is the definition of swing for the fences. He could've gone as high as the third round but fell because questions of whether his game can translate. As some mentioned, he's like Tedenby. Maybe he can translate, maybe not but it's a 6th round pick and I like it a ton.

Jeremy Davies: B-/C+
This is an okay pick I guess. Overagers who led the USHL in points. That's promising but this rating is based on passing on Kuznetsov, Sokolov and Quenneville. All guys I really liked and would've been very happy with.

Overall thoughts: B+

This was the first real draft for the new staff and I thought it was very good. We didn't get one of the guys we wanted in the first but McLeod is good and bringing in Bastian is big for me. We made some picks in late rounds with huge potential and while they might be misses, I'm glad we're swinging for the fence. Our Russian picks are strong and Bratt is a high upside player. I liked our emphasis on players from all over. Good mix of CHL, US and European players. Very happy with the draft. I think our second day was among the best in the league and we did a great job at building the pool and adding NHL talent in Bennett.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I definitely believe that Shero and Hyne's coaching in Scranton played a part in the speed game that won Pitt a cup this year.

I also believe what we are seeing is Shero trying to bring that to New Jersey, and the last two drafts seem to back that up.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I don't know all of these players we drafted, but it seems pretty solid and should help add some depth to the franchise. It's frustrating seeing all the players you want go off the board before your team actually has a chance to select them .. losing out on Nylander, Keller and Jost was upsetting although the Devils dealt with it well and wound up with a good center prospect and an extra 3rd.

I'm a little underwhelmed with Beau Bennett ... was hoping to get a better player that that via trade this weekend. The Palmieri thing spoiled me. Bennett has talent, but he's always hurt. I'd be surprised if that suddenly changed. Lets hope the change of scenery works wonders for this kid.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So what does our organizational prospect depth chart look like now? Ignoring tweeners like Boucher and Blandisi.

CENTER:
Pavel Zacha
Michael McLeod
John Quenneville
Blake Coleman
Blake Pietila
Ryan Kujawinski
Brandon Gignac
Alex Kerfoot
Joey Dudek
Arturs Gavrus

LEFT WING:
Miles Wood
Mikhail Maltsev
Ben Thomson
Brent Seney
Jesper Blatt
Brandon Baddock

RIGHT WING:
Nick Lappin
Nathan Bastian
Blake Speers
Joey Anderson

LEFT HAND DEFENSE:
Yegor Rykov
Seth Helgeson
Colton White
Jeremy Davies

RIGHT HAND DEFENSE:
Steve Santini
Josh Jacobs
Vojtech Mozik
Reece Scarlett
Raman Hrabarenka

GOALTENDER:
Mackenzie Blackwood
Scott Wedgewood
Ken Appleby
Evan Cormier

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
So what does our organizational prospect depth chart look like now? Ignoring tweeners like Boucher and Blandisi.

CENTER:
Pavel Zacha
Michael McLeod
John Quenneville
Blake Coleman
Blake Pietila
Ryan Kujawinski
Brandon Gignac
Alex Kerfoot
Joey Dudek
Arturs Gavrus

LEFT WING:
Miles Wood
Mikhail Maltsev
Ben Thomson
Brent Seney
Jesper Blatt
Brandon Baddock

RIGHT WING:
Nick Lappin
Nathan Bastian
Blake Speers
Joey Anderson

LEFT HAND DEFENSE:
Yegor Rykov
Seth Helgeson
Colton White
Jeremy Davies

RIGHT HAND DEFENSE:
Steve Santini
Josh Jacobs
Vojtech Mozik
Reece Scarlett
Raman Hrabarenka

GOALTENDER:
Mackenzie Blackwood
Scott Wedgewood
Ken Appleby
Evan Cormier

RW should be Speers, Bastian, Anderson, Lappin IMO. Everything else looks about right. Really like our center depth.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
RW should be Speers, Bastian, Anderson, Lappin IMO. Everything else looks about right. Really like our center depth.

All of a sudden the teams left wing depth is a bit weak at Albany, especially if Boucher and Blandisi make the NHL

Left defense also should be a focus area for next draft..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All of a sudden the teams left wing depth is a bit weak at Albany, especially if Boucher and Blandisi make the NHL

Left defense also should be a focus area for next draft..
Half of the centers have played LW at various points and there is a good chance they will be in the future.

Zacha, Quenneville, Blandisi, Coleman and Pietila could all be potential left wingers.

I wouldn't worry too much about LW.

LHD could use some help.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn't expect any of this years draft choices to play in the AHL?

Maybe the Russian kids might want to come over?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah if anyone plays in the AHL next year it'll be the at most top two or three guys on tryout deals late in the season like Zacha had this year.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I wouldn't expect any of this years draft choices to play in the AHL?

Maybe the Russian kids might want to come over?

Both are signed and plan on fulfilling their contracts, not sure the length but playing in the KHL is a smart choice IMO.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
None of these kids will be in the AHL next year. I'm guessing our Albany squad next year looks something like:

Lorito - Blandisi - Sislo
Wood - Quenneville - Lappin
Pietila - Coleman - Chatham
Baddock - Kujawinski - Novak
Thomson - Johnson - McKelvie
Pelley

Auvitu - Santini
Burlon - Mozik
Kelly - Jacobs
Helgeson - Scarlett
Rehill/Hrabarenka

Wedgewood
Appleby

Maybe Jim O'Brien comes back, they're also a little thin on right hand shot forwards after trading away Thompson and O'Neill signing overseas.

Should be a good group though, decent depth. Definitely possible we make a few AHL depth moves and maybe one or two of the players i have listed aren't going to be retained, but should look something along those lines.

kiwidevil

Defensive depth is really bad. Considering how long D take to develop we are going to have an organisational void very soon. We also need to find some skill for the back end.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Defensive depth is really bad. Considering how long D take to develop we are going to have an organisational void very soon. We also need to find some skill for the back end.

Only on the left side. On the right side. Lars is set for a long time. Severson I think is set for a long time as well. After that you have two good prospects in Santini and Jacob. (This is not including any of the current Albany youngsters who can at worst fill in if needed).

Left side is another story. Greene for now. Merrill and Moore in the NHL, and I think just White not counting today's picks?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Only on the left side. On the right side. Lars is set for a long time. Severson I think is set for a long time as well. After that you have two good prospects in Santini and Jacob. (This is not including any of the current Albany youngsters who can at worst fill in if needed).

Left side is another story. Greene for now. Merrill and Moore in the NHL, and I think just White not counting today's picks?

Are there any undrafted LHD we can sign?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

You're forgetting the Flying Frenchman Auvitu.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad