GDT: NHL Draft - Round 1 - 7PM ET - NBCSN, SN, TVAS

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
cut.jpg

The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually with Round 1 taking place on Tuesday, Oct. 6 beginning at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Rounds 2-7 will be held Wednesday, Oct. 7 beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on NHL Network.

Round 1

1. New York Rangers
2. Los Angeles Kings
3. Ottawa Senators (from SJS)
4. Detroit Red Wings
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Buffalo Sabres
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Winnipeg Jets
11. Nashville Predators
12. Florida Panthers
13. Carolina Hurricanes (from TOR)
14. Edmonton Oilers
15. Toronto Maple Leafs (from PIT)
16. Montreal Canadiens
17. Chicago Blackhawks
18. New Jersey Devils (from ARZ)
19. Calgary Flames
20. New Jersey Devils (from VAN via TB)
21. Columbus Blue Jackets
22. New York Rangers (from CAR)
23. Philadelphia Flyers
24. Washington Capitals
25. Colorado Avalanche
26. St. Louis Blues
27. Anaheim Ducks (from BOS)
28. Ottawa Senators (from NYI)
29. Vegas Golden Knights
30. Dallas Stars
31. San Jose Sharks (from TB)

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Whoa, I had no idea the draft was happening already
Should be good - wonder who NYR will pick? :sarcasm:

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
My top 5 prediction

NYR - Laf
LA - Stutzle
Ottawa - Byfield
Detroit - Rossi
Ottawa - Drysdale

Reactions: hockey20000

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
My top 5 prediction

NYR - Laf
LA - Stutzle
Ottawa - Byfield
Detroit - Rossi
Ottawa - Drysdale

Ottawa rebuilding nicely. No matter how this draft plays out, they will take a massive step forward in their plans.

Does the Melnyk promise of unparalleled success start this (20/21) year or next year?

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Ottawa rebuilding nicely. No matter how this draft plays out, they will take a massive step forward in their plans.

Does the Melnyk promise of unparalleled success start this (20/21) year or next year?

I wish Ottawa had the guts to take Rossi over Byfield as I think he'll end up the better player.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I wish Ottawa had the guts to take Rossi over Byfield as I think he'll end up the better player.
If LA doesn’t take Byfield, there is no reason to make Byfield available for Detroit at #4. Take Byfield at #3 (if available) and Rossi will still likely be around at #5.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Shame they're only doing one round tonight. Why not hold the entire draft on a Saturday, starting at 1pm or something?

They have done it this way for a long time, mostly because the 1st round takes significantly longer than the other rounds due to teams getting more time for each pick and the whole production of interviewing players and GMs.

The reason it's not being held on a Saturday should be obvious. If they push the draft back to Saturday, then they have to push free agency back, and the QO deadline and probably other stuff as well. They need to get this stuff done and figure out how they are going to have a season. Waiting 4 extra days doesn't help with that, and having the draft on a Saturday instead of a Tuesday doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They have done it this way for a long time, mostly because the 1st round takes significantly longer than the other rounds due to teams getting more time for each pick and the whole production of interviewing players and GMs.

The reason it's not being held on a Saturday should be obvious. If they push the draft back to Saturday, then they have to push free agency back, and the QO deadline and probably other stuff as well. They need to get this stuff done and figure out how they are going to have a season. Waiting 4 extra days doesn't help with that, and having the draft on a Saturday instead of a Tuesday doesn't make a difference.

We're talking about completely arbitrary dates though.

Entire draft could've taken place last Saturday. Free agency could've started today.

The NHL could've made these scheduling decisions but chose not to. :dunno:

Why'd they choose a Tuesday night for the first round of the draft?

Why Friday October 9th, to kick off free agency?

Did the NHLPA agree to these dates, or what?

Seems like the league just picked days at random.

Doesn't matter in the long run, but seems kind of illogical not to hold this draft in one day since it's all virtual anyway.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I'm just glad there is a draft.

Saturday may not have worked well because then you would do rounds 2-7 on Sunday, and there is NFL on Sunday. I'm sure the NHL has thought this all out. I dont see anything wrong with Tuesday.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We're talking about completely arbitrary dates though.

Entire draft could've taken place last Saturday. Free agency could've started today.

The NHL could've made these scheduling decisions but chose not to. :dunno:

Why'd they choose a Tuesday night for the first round of the draft?

Why Friday October 9th, to kick off free agency?

Did the NHLPA agree to these dates, or what?

Seems like the league just picked days at random.

Doesn't matter in the long run, but seems kind of illogical not to hold this draft in one day since it's all virtual anyway.

The SCF just finished on Sep 28th. Game 7, if it had been played, would have been on Sep 30th. Having the draft 3 days later isn't very fair to Tampa and Dallas. The whole schedule is already compressed more than in normal years.

What does the league gain by having the draft on a Saturday instead of a Tuesday? Why does it matter? If you recall, the draft was originally planned for Oct 9th, and they moved it up to the 6th. Waiting an extra 3 or 4 days doesn't accomplish anything.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'm curious as to what effect the GMs not being in the same room might affect the trades made during the draft? We are used to seeing them picking up the phones and talking on the floor doing deals but that is a little harder now.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm curious as to what effect the GMs not being in the same room might affect the trades made during the draft? We are used to seeing them picking up the phones and talking on the floor doing deals but that is a little harder now.
The dms

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Do you have a piece of a kidney to donate in the Ontario area?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad