GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Phase 1 - June 26th - 8PM ET - NBCSN/NHLN/Sportsnet/TVAS

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I find it ironic that even with how awful Detroit was this season it's more likely that Ottawa or a playoff team wins #1 overall.

ottawa only has a higher chance due to two picks

i find it stupid that the playin teams have a pretty good shot at a top 3 pick. If ottawa doesnt win then im all for chaos

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They’re having the Draft lottery before the seeding of 8-15?

That seems like a potential problem if I’m understanding it correctly.

If one of the play-in team wins the lottery, they will need to conduct a 2nd lottery at a later date. I suspect someone else has already said this.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They’re having the Draft lottery before the seeding of 8-15?

That seems like a potential problem if I’m understanding it correctly.

The team that are eliminated from the playoff qualifiers will have a second draft with the remaining picks where it's a straight draw is my understanding. So every team will have a 12.5 % change of getting the "top" pick and so on.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The team that are eliminated from the playoff qualifiers will have a second draft with the remaining picks where it's a straight draw is my understanding. So every team will have a 12.5 % change of getting the "top" pick and so on.

That is true (only) IF one of the play-in teams win one of the draft lottery slots for the top three picks I believe.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That is true (only) IF one of the play-in teams win one of the draft lottery slots for the top three picks I believe.

I can only imagine the outrage if the number one pick somehow ends up going to like Pittsburgh or something. Based on how things go to tonight I wonder how many fans are going to hope their team loses the qualifier.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I can only imagine the outrage if the number one pick somehow ends up going to like Pittsburgh or something. Based on how things go to tonight I wonder how many fans are going to hope their team loses the qualifier.

Ya, that's true. I could see many fans of teams that would have been out of the playoffs under the usual 16 team format hoping that they lose the play-in (qualifier). Its an unusual draft this year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ask any Avs fan that....twice.

Hasn't worked out badly with Makar. He's better than anybody drafted above him.

Oddly enough, Byram might not be much different. I don't like Byram as much as Makar, but Hughes and Kakko so far are as underwhelming as Hischier and Patrick.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Mckenzie says the NHL has a plan for the draft/draft lottery if the season does indeed get cancelled, but has yet to announce it to to the teams or us. Wonder why?

My gut feeling says it involves something that will piss off a bunch of gms and the NHL just doesn't want to deal with it right now since they already have a lot on their plate.

My money is if the season gets full canceled, they will just eliminate the teams who 'made' the top 16.
The piss off would be to those 8 teams who 'made' the 'real' playoffs, who get the short end of the stick.
Being told to play to get in, and loosing the chance at the draft if its canceled.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Best case scenario, IMO for full and utter shenanigans.

Top 3 picks go the play in teams, and because we dont know which 'rank' on elimination gets it, the play in round will have an extra layer of fun.
If your Montreal, do you want to win the 1st round only to be smoked in round 2 by Boston or Tampa, OR do you want to loose and have a decent shot at a top 3 pick?
If your a team like Toronto or Pitsburgh, if you loose in round 1 the sting will be lessened because you now have a chance at a top end tallent.

Suck huge for the teams who are already eliminated, but maximizes the 'fun' and randomness for the most fanbases.

My backup, I hate to say as a Leaf fan, is Ottawa ends up with the 1st and 2nd pick.
Laf vs Byfield? WHY NOT BOTH!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Top 3 picks go the play in teams, and because we dont know which 'rank' on elimination gets it, the play in round will have an extra layer of fun.
If your Montreal, do you want to win the 1st round only to be smoked in round 2 by Boston or Tampa, OR do you want to loose and have a decent shot at a top 3 pick?
If your a team like Toronto or Pitsburgh, if you loose in round 1 the sting will be lessened because you now have a chance at a top end tallent.

Suck huge for the teams who are already eliminated, but maximizes the 'fun' and randomness for the most fanbases.

My backup, I hate to say as a Leaf fan, is Ottawa ends up with the 1st and 2nd pick.

Imagine if Ottawa opted for Stutzle and he pans out better as a winger. They'd have Lafreniere, Tkachuk, and Stutzle as wingers, all under 22. Yikes.

Granted, you need a center for that, but still.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008

So they created the draft lottery to eliminate tanking and then put in a play in round which incentivizes tanking.

Makes sense.

Reactions: jkutswings

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I hope a play in team wins first overall and then doesn't start a single NHL player in their series. You would hear that bitch smack off Gary's face for miles around.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
what a colossal waste of time, the NHL isn't going to complete its season which will make this lottery null and void. I feel for the fans of the teams that win a lottery spot.

the PGA where the athletes are outdoors and can socially distance are getting new Covid positives, what do you think would happen in hockey, football, basketball where players are breathing into each others faces, sitting shoulder to shoulder on benches, in the dressing room.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
what a colossal waste of time, the NHL isn't going to complete its season which will make this lottery null and void. I feel for the fans of the teams that win a lottery spot.

the PGA where the athletes are outdoors and can socially distance are getting new Covid positives, what do you think would happen in hockey, football, basketball where players are breathing into each others faces, sitting shoulder to shoulder on benches, in the dressing room.

Seems to be working fine so far in European soccer

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad