GDT: NHL Draft Lottery 2017: Red Wings Edition | Wings pick 9th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I would roll the dice on the defenseman. But we also need centers so who knows. Does patterson have better than 2nd line center potential? I know going into the year liljegren had top pair potential and that's more valuable so I'd gamble on that. We need to hit on a center or defeseman in this draft guess it doesn't matter which.

Well as a comparison, Petterson has notably better point totals than Hank had in his draft year or draft +1 year for the same team, while being a better skater, 2 inches taller and heavier than hank was at the same age...and is regarded the best playmaker in the draft outside the guys we definitely won't get.

Personally, I'd be happy with either as both have question marks but very very high upsides. But Pettersson is the better player at present

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I agree with what Frk it said, I'm not enamored with any D projected at 9 so I'd be fine with a Petterson. I'm just gonna see what C or D they take and hope for the best.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree with what Frk it said, I'm not enamored with any D projected at 9 so I'd be fine with a Petterson. I'm just gonna see what C or D they take and hope for the best.

In the end, yeah, this is likely how it'll pan out. Unless it's Joe Blowstrom from some tier 2 Swedish team it's unlikely anyone we draft will be clearly better or worse than our other options at that moment.

But if we draft Joe Blowstrom you heard it here first. :D

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can Petersson be a #1 nhl centremen?

That HAS to be the sole basis of our decision. Whomever we draft HAS to have top centre or top pairing upside.

We can not waste the pick on any kid who disent have that upside and a legit chance of hitting it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Can Petersson be a #1 nhl centremen?

That HAS to be the sole basis of our decision. Whomever we draft HAS to have top centre or top pairing upside.

We can not waste the pick on any kid who disent have that upside and a legit chance of hitting it.

so, we're abstaining and not drafting anyone? It's arguable that pretty much any of the guys being thrown around as possible picks for us at #9 could be those things, but I'm not sure any of them have a legit (better than 50/50?) chance of actually hitting that. We're going to have to get a bit lucky here.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
so, we're abstaining and not drafting anyone? It's arguable that pretty much any of the guys being thrown around as possible picks for us at #9 could be those things, but I'm not sure any of them have a legit (better than 50/50?) chance of actually hitting that. We're going to have to get a bit lucky here.

I believe their are or will be players available with those criteria as their upside at our pick and some with a better shot at reaching that upside then others.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I believe their are or will be players available with those criteria as their upside at our pick and some with a better shot at reaching that upside then others.

Sure, and there are going to be people who think it's someone else that we did/didn't pick. Unless someone big unexpectedly falls everyone's list for this is probably going to be at least modestly different. Hence, getting a bit lucky.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Sure, and there are going to be people who think it's someone else that we did/didn't pick. Unless someone big unexpectedly falls everyone's list for this is probably going to be at least modestly different. Hence, getting a bit lucky.

No doubt and that's why I asked the question about pettersson

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
In the end, yeah, this is likely how it'll pan out. Unless it's Joe Blowstrom from some tier 2 Swedish team it's unlikely anyone we draft will be clearly better or worse than our other options at that moment.

But if we draft Joe Blowstrom you heard it here first. :D

Joe Blowstrom is a good hockey name.
No doubt and that's why I asked the question about pettersson

No more or less (chance at being a 1C) than any of the other centers at ~9.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Joe Blowstrom is a good hockey name.

No more or less (chance at being a 1C) than any of the other centers at ~9.

Are their dmej who will or could be available that have a better shot at becoming top pair guys

Skill, IQ, current size and reasonable expectation for growth (15-20pds) etc?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Are their dmej who will or could be available that have a better shot at becoming top pair guys

Skill, IQ, current size and reasonable expectation for growth (15-20pds) etc?

Doubtful. I'm not too high on the dmen that will be available. I feel like Petersson is the best shot at drafting an impact player (C). Though he could be a 2nd liner at best. It's a crap shoot.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The lottery odds are just moronic. I'm all for a bit of chance being added to the process, but when the odds are, if I remember right, higher that the worst team will pick fourth, you have a massively broken system.

That said, at least it came in when Colorado was god awful. I won't mind at all if they spend the next decade in the wilderness because they can't get any top end talent, after a bunch of jealous children decided that Edmonton was ruining literally everything about hockey.

Tank, don't tank, who gives a crap. If Buffalo fans have more fun rooting for their team to lose, that's on them and Sabres management. I have no idea why so many people get so invested in it, when it has ****-all to do with their own team (though I assume it's just the 'jealous children' thing, popping up again).

Good on Philly. If anything they need to further even the odds for all non-playoff teams. Screw rewarding bad management (intentional or not) and punishing teams competing for playoff spots. Oh but the worst teams will be bad for longer. Boohoo. Get better management/scouting/development programs/coaching. That applies to the Wings should they fall into that category.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Good on Philly. If anything they need to further even the odds for all non-playoff teams. Screw rewarding bad management (intentional or not) and punishing teams competing for playoff spots. Oh but the worst teams will be bad for longer. Boohoo. Get better management/scouting/development programs/coaching. That applies to the Wings should they fall into that category.

Yeah this draft definitely puts an end to all tank talk. Bottom three teams aren't a sure thing at all to draft top three

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's a great recipe for further loss of fan interest, decreased revenue, and ultimately contraction of certain markets. All of which eventually impacts the bottom line of every NHL owner.

I understand the notion of punitive actions toward bad management. But a professional sports league will always have a much larger than usual element of propping everybody up together, regardless of how much (or little) a given franchise deserves it, because the greater the number of teams that profit - even despite bad decisions - the better the league does, and the larger the profit sharing checks become.

Whether Detroit is at the top or bottom of the standings, any league needs to give the worst teams SOME advantage in the draft. The degree of said advantage is absolutely debatable, but, for example, the NFL has no lottery whatsoever, and they're printing money. (I understand that the games are very different, and finding an impact player later in the first round is MUCH more possible in football than hockey, but the larger point behind the details still stands.)

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I hope it stays like this, probably our best chance at elite talent. There's little evidence that Arizona, Colorado, and especially LV are ready to make progress. Same with New Jersey and Vancouver. We're probably going to be stuck right where we are for a while. If they were to limit how many spots a team could move up again it would not be to our benefit. Not yet.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Get better management/scouting/development/coaching is much easier said than done. In most cases, that means owners investing more $$$, and as we all know, there is a pretty significant disparity in the amount of money owners are willing/able to spend.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Get better management/scouting/development/coaching is much easier said than done. In most cases, that means owners investing more $$$, and as we all know, there is a pretty significant disparity in the amount of money owners are willing/able to spend.

Yeah, I've seen people say we don't need to draft higher we just need to get better at scouting...

I think that's a lot easier said than done. Teams fire and hire scouts all the time, yet you still see that strong correlation of draft position to PPG, and the vast majority of the elite talent in the league coming from the top 5.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I agree I just hope they go for someone that has #1C or #1D potential. There is no room for a safe pick right now they need to go for elite talent. I hope they go for a little bit on the boom side even at the risk of the bust. The team is full of complementary players and it needs the star at the top of the tree. Anyone with 'guaranteed complementary player' status needs to be removed from the draft board.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
That's why a few months ago I was posing the question about what the Wings would look like with the elite player from some other team, compared to how that other team does.

Detroit's a very good drafting team as far as consistently landing middle-6 talent with their picks. One of the 5 best in the league. What they haven't done is land a superstar, at least since they landed D and Z. The largest part of that is not having a pick earlier than 15 since 1991. Quite a bit of the rest of it is not landing on a mostly lucky shot like some other teams occasionally have, and like they did with D and Z.

Heck, even drafting in the 5-10 range you're barely looking at a 50% rate of landing a top line player, much less the kind of elite, franchise-altering player so many fans here demand in a tank... and if Detroit doesn't do it on their first try fans will continue to demand scalps, independent of any real grasp on the probabilities which surround their demands.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's why a few months ago I was posing the question about what the Wings would look like with the elite player from some other team, compared to how that other team does.

Detroit's a very good drafting team as far as consistently landing middle-6 talent with their picks. One of the 5 best in the league. What they haven't done is land a superstar, at least since they landed D and Z. The largest part of that is not having a pick earlier than 15 since 1991. Quite a bit of the rest of it is not landing on a mostly lucky shot like some other teams occasionally have, and like they did with D and Z.

Heck, even drafting in the 5-10 range you're barely looking at a 50% rate of landing a top line player, much less the kind of elite, franchise-altering player so many fans here demand in a tank... and if Detroit doesn't do it on their first try fans will continue to demand scalps, independent of any real grasp on the probabilities which surround their demands.
I agree with the majority of your post. Speaking only for myself, I'm perfectly willing to tolerate 5-10 years of top-5 picks, in search of one or more high-end players. The interim is pretty bad to watch, but as you stated, the odds of finding that tier of player go from slim to even slimmer with lower draft stock.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I've posted the probabilities/averages of each draft position many times now :)

What people do with that is up to them. It's harder than ever to ensure yourself one of the spots where the high percentages are now. Guess we are at the mercy of these lottery balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad