GDT: NHL Draft - and (hold your breath) trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Me too. I have no clue who that is though, but you put enough time into this that I'll come along for the ride.
I didn't know who he was either and when I was reading up on Finnish products I came across data produced by Lassi Alanen. Ervasti led all players in breakups in the Finnish U20 league--having the same number of neutral zone breakups as Koivunen and 10% more D-zone breakups than any other player in the league.

Edit: Lambos was actually second, but he was pretty far down the list due to limited Neutral zone breakups.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Bryce Montgomery:
I like this Pick by the 'Canes.
I've seen him play all of his OHL Games for the London Knights.
The Knights are always deep in quality players. He played very well for someone
who had a few minutes in any game. Excellent skater for a big man. The 'Canes
have picked a Big Right Shot D-Man who will develop into a good one. Sleeper!!
His teammate, Logan Mailloux played 4 games for the Knights.1st Round Pick.
Montgomery played 33 games for the London Knights.
Here are some comments on Montgomery:
NHL Central Scouting's Joey Tenute said the showcases should serve Montgomery well for the draft.
"He did some stuff that he needed to do to get seen, so he's definitely on the radar," Tenute said. "He's a big defenseman that skates well. He's got good range. He's got good offensive instincts. He's a guy that looks to jump up and join the rush and become that trailing option. It looks like he's got a good shot. In the Erie tournament, he scored a couple of nice goals."
Billy Sullivan, a London scout who first noticed Montgomery as a 6-foot, smooth-skating 13-year-old, said there's still more upside to tap.
"He got great coaching his first year, but he was a rookie, and we were a very deep team," Sullivan said. "This year, (2021-22) he's really going to be given the ball a little bit. Where he's going to be at the end of this year and at the end of four years is just going to be, in my opinion, is worlds away from where he is now."
Color of Hockey: Montgomery showcased ahead of 2021 NHL Draft

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ervasti went undrafted--so it appears I was off base. But I wasn't alone. Scouch (who I don't always agree with) wrote this in his final draft rankings. Don't know if it is worth it to invite a European to camp, especially after selecting 13 players and 5 D.
  • Kalle Ervasti is one I've been championing for a while, and while he's a work in progress, he does things for a defender that I don't see a ton of in this year's class. His feet are extremely active, he challenges puck carriers aggressively with skill and mobility, and his defensive transition results were excellent. With the puck, he's got a calm side, taking care of pucks well, but he can step up in the offensive end and get involved from time to time. He's a raw player who needs to work on his defensive zone play, but he's a good one if you need someone to bet on late.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I am surprised we used all of our picks and didn’t move anything for rights of UFAs. I guess if we are saving space for Dougie then it makes sense some.

tampa still has to get cap compliant though. Trades are there

That's why it's time to shit or get off the pot with Dougie. I do still believe Dougie is Plan A, which would explain why our only moves were to clear contract space -- but they'd better be ready with Plan B the second free agency opens.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm curious what the league perception is about all this. I don't think I can recall a team ever trading down so aggressively and/or end up with so many players.

Guarantee if this draft produces 2 or even 3 quality NHL players other teams will look at us and say "You know, maybe Carolina isn't so crazy after all". Didn't the Borg trade down a lot last year too? At least one or two of those players I believe are already on their ELCs

To be honest I'm surprised no one else did what we did considering how mysterious this draft is

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Canes be like: "Lets draft a Russian goalie because that one kicked our ass in the playoffs!"

Canes select Nikita Quapp. "Yes, we got our guy!"

Um, Don, he's German.

"Shit, well get me a Russian goalie, now!"

His father is from Kazakhstan originally.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad