GDT: NHL Draft - and (hold your breath) trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Guarantee if this draft produces 2 or even 3 quality NHL players other teams will look at us and say "You know, maybe Carolina isn't so crazy after all". Didn't the Borg trade down a lot last year too? At least one or two of those players I believe are already on their ELCs

To be honest I'm surprised no one else did what we did considering how mysterious this draft is

Last year they only traded down once, and that was the pick that they got for Edmundson's rights. There generally wasn't much movement in 2020 because that draft was highly thought of and teams that had a stockpile didn't want to trade them away. Because every GM knew that 2021 was a complete crapshoot, however, teams that were less confident in their abilities to find players in lower rounds wanted to trade up to get the names that they were most familiar with. The Canes took major advantage of this, mainly to stock up on defense and goalies, which they were the thinnest at, relatively-speaking.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I just want to trade down and into the next year over and over until eventually we end up with all 32 picks in like the 5th round.

that would kick ass

For maximum trolling you have to intersperse all your timeouts during that round, trade with other teams just to trade back into that round, use all three minutes for every pick, and have Dundon get 32 different sponsors for every single pick. So you'd have ridiculous searches like what's a Kinetico and why do the Hurricanes want me to fish in Ontario? Then throw in some obscure ones like Golden Skillet, and even ads for closed stores Blockbuster and Circuit City for confusion. Of course Top Golf. Finally Marley Drug goes national.

I want DaBaby, Petey Pablo, and the whole Dreamville crew announcing picks. Hell I think we could even bring a liquored up Tripp to announce a few. Have the Storm Squad outside with the borg making picks outside while they eat bbq and drink Cheerwine and Tulsky just looks on in complete disdain of everything and everyone.

*This post is example number 11 billion why you don't drink and internet.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
For maximum trolling you have to intersperse all your timeouts during that round, trade with other teams just to trade back into that round, use all three minutes for every pick, and have Dundon get 32 different sponsors for every single pick. So you'd have ridiculous searches like what's a Kinetico and why do the Hurricanes want me to fish in Ontario? Then throw in some obscure ones like Golden Skillet, and even ads for closed stores Blockbuster and Circuit City for confusion. Of course Top Golf. Finally Marley Drug goes national.

I want DaBaby, Petey Pablo, and the whole Dreamville crew announcing picks. Hell I think we could even bring a liquored up Tripp to announce a few. Have the Storm Squad outside with the borg making picks outside while they eat bbq and drink Cheerwine and Tulsky just looks on in complete disdain of everything and everyone.

No, no, you're on the right track. This is basically what I had in mind. A captive audience to annoy the piss out of

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Speaking of copycat, I am not a big fan of grading teams after the draft. But it seems like ton of folks do it. So here goes::sarcasm:

Morrow: A- He could end up a top-pairing guy or follow Dylan Samberg's trajectory after dominates in high school. Morrow could find it a little tougher at each successive level. A slight concern is that he was older than most high schoolers.

Heimosalmi: B. The Canes need a right-shot D to make it to the NHL. Heimosalmi could end up making it instead of Honka.

Koivunen: A+. Sure Raty was still on the board, but Koivunen get high marks for work ethic that leads to production at every level.

Hamrla: C. Goalies get C

Hreschuk: A-. The only criticism is that the Canes could end up with <6' D corps. Don't think that has ever been tried.

Blake: C. Honestly don't know a lot about him. But this is a pick where the Canes could have drafted some size--Chiasson at forward or Lukashevich at D.

Orr: B for the name

Robidas: C. Good bloodlines. Played on a loaded team this season, which helped his production. My sleeper choice for goalie was the next pick, so can't give him too high of a mark.

Montgomery: C+ Canes finally went for size but passed on Arcuri who has a really high ceiling.

Quapp/Naumov: C+--goalies get C, but in the 6th/7th round always a better gamble.

Guslitsov: C-. His over-age teammate (Nevolin) was considerably more productive the past two MHL seasons. Seems like Guslitsov's main appeal was he is 5'9".

Nystrom: B+. Could be like Sellgren (but Ervasti would have been A+ at this pick).

Overall: B.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

Proably need a Bojangles fight scene in there as well.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I apologize if this has been posted, but I haven't seen Zman around for a while so I figured I'd pinch hit.

Sounds like RBA will like this kid.

Out of all the picks, I'm most excited about him. I don't have time to follow all this stuff, so I tend to focus on 1 or 2 and track their development. I'll probably keep an eye on Orr too since well the whole thing intrigues me.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I apologize if this has been posted, but I haven't seen Zman around for a while so I figured I'd pinch hit.

Sounds like RBA will like this kid.

Out of all the picks, I'm most excited about him. I don't have time to follow all this stuff, so I tend to focus on 1 or 2 and track their development. I'll probably keep an eye on Orr too since well the whole thing intrigues me.

Makes you wonder. I assume they would have spoken to Aho Sr. about Raty as well to get his take on the guy.

Reactions: bobc222

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The more I read Pronman, the more I think he isn't a fan of much of what the Hurricanes do.

Hurricanes' 2021 NHL Draft picks: Grades, fit and full scouting reports

His analysis may be spot on, but he seems to go out of his way to "pick knits" as opposed to true objectivity. But that's just me.....

Not trying to play psychologist, but there's a world in which a team treating draft picks like lottery tickets could be considered a slight towards the work that scouts do. "No one knows if these guys are any good, so let's get a lot of darts", Pronman may like the "no one knows if these guys are any good" part.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad