Post-Game Talk: NHL Draft 2017 | Final Thoughts? What's Your Grade?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
mrRYmC_-Rr6mce-RCRgZRg.png

OS3jBG6vRW23zvXn478ANg.png

aq7u2-PXSvGRvXFjUqJysQ.png

vP7N-kjSSOKlzPoZO_UdcA.png

3yywicgQSry3oLC5rkNZNg.png

mHin38REQnGYLY59W7qxoQ.png

pF046u80T2CIx4TdAjJaXQ.png

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Absolutely thrilled with first pick. Second pick has good potential. Cool that we went our own way with the Kara pick.

No real opinion on the rest

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
We've got our mobile smaller puck moving dmen. We need a big physical shut down dman and that's what they're aiming for. If one of these big guys pans out it completes our defence.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Love first pick(great)
Like 2nd pick(good)
Like 3rd pick(good)
Okay with 4th pick(average)
Dont like 5th pick(bad but trust Hunter on this one)
Okay with 6th pick(decent)
Like the 7th pick(good)

So for me a good draft overall. I will give it a B.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Liljegren makes it an A for me. Like i said after we took him, we could forfeit the rest of our picks and i would be happy. Liljegren is our crown jewel.

After that they did what i wanted, focus on defense and goaltending. So i like it but give me 3-5 years to see how they do.

member 157595

I know basically nothing about any of the picks in the 2nd day so I don't think it's smart for me to lose sleep over any of them. Hoping one of the giants we have in the system pays off.

Liljegren in the 1st...was a dream scenario. He's high risk but the payoff could be massive. I thought Detroit or Tampa were going to take him.

EDIT: I like that they took another goalie but know nothing about him.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
based on our first pick alone, I give this draft an A! I think we will hit a homerun on that one. And assume we may get a couple of ok nhl'ers out of the rest, which I don't know a ton about.
But that first pick!!! Whoda thunk!!!

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
don't know much about the later picks but Liljegren was a big time coup for this organization.

If he misses his draft year does he still go top 3 like Galchenyuk?

All praise the mono.

member 157595

don't know much about the later picks but Liljegren was a big time coup for this organization.

If he misses his draft year does he still go top 3 like Galchenyuk?

All praise the mono.

He didn't just fall due to mono. There are legit question marks here.

But it's so, so worth the risk.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lots of boom or bust today. Can't complain.

Really like Rasanen's player comps too.

boom or bust is the best way to do it. A safe pick is likely a 3r/4th liner they are dime a dozen and available cheap every single FA

Liljegren A- (a dman who should of gone top10)
Rasanen B (some teams liked him as a 1st rnd pick)
Scott B-/C (good potential goalie playing on a ****** team guy must get peppered every game)

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
A
Defenseman and potential steal in Rd.1 + very interesting big D in Rd. 2 + a goalie + some boom or bust prospects in the later round.
Sounds perfect for me.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I love Liljegren, don't have an opinion on any other pick.

I'm the same. I do not really feel qualified to comment on guys after the first round but I like the fact we drafted size, lots of D and got a goalie. This will be a tough draft to rate for a few years but as long as Timmy works out I won't care too much.

I am disappointed we do not swing a deal for a Defenseman yet because I do not like the UFA options and I would like the peace of mind.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Liljegren and Rasanen were enough for an A for me.

Dont know to much about the late picks.

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Extremely excited to get Liljegren and I like the Rasanen pick too as I feel he has a ton of upside. After that I don't really know what to say.

Some of these guys were so far off the board they likely wouldn't have been picked by anyone else and I think we could have just invited them to camp without even using a pick on them. I'm all for swinging for the fences in later rounds but its really hard to see the upside of some of these guys. Oh well.

Hard not to be underwhelmed by day 2 tbh, but I'll wait and see before I start criticizing too much.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Liljegren was a huge steal but they had an opportunity to make it so much better. Rasanen, Scott and O'Connell were ok picks today but the others were thoughtless darts on a dart board.

Ryan McGregor was the only and best forward...nuff said.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'd give it a B. We drafted well for our needs. Love liljegren and Scott as picks; I don't know enough about the other prospects to have a major opinion one way or the other. Good size on the defenceman though, I hope they pan out eventually.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Really like the first two D picks. Liljegren has all the tools to emulate Karlsson (not saying he will be as good) and Rasanen's skating isn't that bad to the point where it can't be worked on. His tools are very good. Also like the goalie pick. Says he models his game after Carey Price.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A solid B.

Getting a talent like Liljegren with a mid first almost bumps it up a letter grade, huge smile on my face after that pick. I also like the skill that Rasanen has. Not thrilled with the rest of the picks.

Probably the least liked of the last 3 drafts in terms of selections, by part of this has to be attributed to 1) weak class and 2)having a later pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad