NHL Dmen Rankings #18

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Rielly from the Leafs takes 17th spot in a controversial poll that saw many posters note that 17 is too soon for him but with the biggest fanbase pouring in the votes for him, these things happen. Still a really good dman but perhaps as noted probably 10-15 spots too high. Anyways hopefully he has a better season and makes the rest of the fans of the league eat their words, we will see. Anyways 18 is NEXT

1 TB Hedman 82% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #1
2 NASH Josi 76% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen #2
3 COLU Jones 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #3
4 Pieterangelo LVGK 59% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #4
5 DALL Heiskanen 39% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #5
6 WASH Carlson 26% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #6
7 CAR Slavin 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #7
8 COL Makar 33% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #8
9 CAR Hamilton 23% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #9
10 VAN Hughes 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #10
11 BOS Macavoy 26% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #11
12 SJ Karlsson 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #12
13 OTT Chabot 14% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #13
14 MON Weber 16% NHL Dmen Rankings #14
15 TIE Doughty/Theodore 18% NHL Dmen Rankings #15
15 LVGK Theodore 56% NHL Dmen Rankings #15 Tie Braker: DOUGHTY VS THEODORE
16 LA Doughty 27% NHL Dmen Rankings #16
17 TOR Rielly 19% NHL Dmen Rankings #17

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So Rielly from the Leafs takes 17th spot in a controversial poll that saw many posters note that 17 is too soon for him but with the biggest fanbase pouring in the votes for him, these things happen
Fwiw, NHL.com has him ranked 17th and other lists coming out soon will as well.
Definitely not 10-15 spots too early :laugh:

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Just to put it out there.

Suter has scored 40+ points 5 years straight while being very good defensively. Mark Giordano literally put up 76 points last season while being phenomenal defensively in a Norris winning season. Brent Burns is literally one season off of 83 points. Letang has been a force for a while now.

It's actually shocking that guys with only one good season are ahead ie; Q. Hughes, Cale Makar. It's also surprising to me that Mcavoy, a guy with a career high of 32 points & I think his defensive abilities don't offset the gap offensively. Chabot seems out of place as well. Heiskanen was voted extremely early based on his amazing playoff run, but I don't think he should have that spot just yet.

----

I don't think Rielly is controversial at 17th, he literally came 5th in Norris voting last season while posting 70+ points while dragging around the corpse of Ron Hainsey. There are far more controversial picks here.

---

Also it's quite funny that the snarky comments from this particular op only comes out when he sees the results of a particular team. He has some great comments for some of the others named then goes and says this. I saw another thread of his with a similar snarky comment....

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Suter has scored 40+ points 5 years straight while being very good defensively. Mark Giordano literally put up 76 points last season while being phenomenal defensively in a Norris winning season. Brent Burns is literals one season off of 83 points. Letang has been a force for a while now.

It's actually shocking that guys with only one good season are ahead ie; Q. Hughes, Cale Makar. It's also surprising to me that Mcavoy, a guy with a career high of 32 points while not being phenomenal defensively went that high. Chabot seems out of place as well. Heiskanen was voted extremely based his amazing playoff run, but I don't think he should have that spot just yet.

I don't think Rielly is controversial at 17th, he literally came 5th in Norris voting last season while posting 70+ points while dragging around the corpse of Ron Hainsey. There are far more controversial picks here.

---

Also it's quite funny that the snarky comments from this particular op only comes out when he sees the results of a particular team. He has some great comments for some of the others named then goes and says this. I saw another thread of his with a similar snarky comment....

Mcavoy isn't "phenomenal defensively"? He has some of the best Defensive results in the league it's his trademark. You should try watching the players play before spouting nonsense like that :laugh:

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Rielly's 18-19 season was a mirage and I wouldn't be surprise if he continues to fall down the rankings to the late 20's early 30's.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Suter has scored 40+ points 5 years straight while being very good defensively. Mark Giordano literally put up 76 points last season while being phenomenal defensively in a Norris winning season. Brent Burns is literals one season off of 83 points. Letang has been a force for a while now.

It's actually shocking that guys with only one good season are ahead ie; Q. Hughes, Cale Makar. It's also surprising to me that Mcavoy, a guy with a career high of 32 points while not being phenomenal defensively went that high. Chabot seems out of place as well. Heiskanen was voted extremely based his amazing playoff run, but I don't think he should have that spot just yet.

---

I hear you on the kids going too early and agree. But, that's a really uneducated viewpoint on the impact that McAvoy bring as a two way D.

Best American Defenseman Right Now

Reactions: TBF1972

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

---

Huh?

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
I hear you on the kids going too early and agree. But, that's a really uneducated viewpoint on the impact that McAvoy bring as a two way D.

Best American Defenseman Right Now

I may have miss-explained my point. I just don't think what Mcavoy brings defensively makes up for the gap offensively of some of the other dman on this list.

For example; Ryan Suter, is a guy I think should be higher. Offensively there is no question that he is better. Averaging over 40 points for the past 5 seasons and imo defensively I don't think the gap is large enough to offset the offensive gap. Suter plays more minutes, averages less giveaways, similar Cf%, similar PDO while having a much worse goaltender behind him, slightly less blocks, and less hits.

Regardless, I think these young defenders are going far too early. I think in a few years they will all be in my top 10 even my top 5. They are all special talents, but I would not take them yet over many of the older, more proven options.

And Bruins Fans, I am afraid y'all have some nice pieces coming in on defence that will set you guys up for a long time in Mcavoy, Carlo, Lauzon and Vaakanainen

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Letang should have gone by now. He bring the offense of the guy that was just voted in and he is better defensively.

Letang's the whipping boy of HF. Constantly is undervalued on here -- except for the rare cases when HF is trying to prove Crosby and Malkin were surrounded by HoF teammates to diminish their accomplishments. That's around the only time Letang gets any sort of recognition.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Spurgeon. Easily. Should be way higher.

Guys like Doughty and Burns...yikes. Yes, they used to be elite. As in, the past. They're not that good anymore and their time is up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Mcavoy isn't "phenomenal defensively"? He has some of the best Defensive results in the league it's his trademark. You should try watching the players play before spouting nonsense like that :laugh:

Any time someone says something like "defensive results" i immediately cringe hard.

Like, try watching the player before they get their defensive results ya goof. It just immediately reeks of statistical bias, generally of the analytics sort...rather than the actual analysis of truly watching a player and determination based on that. Which is why it's hard for me to not cringe when someone brings up "best results" as an allegation that someone should watch the players more.

Letang's the whipping boy of HF. Constantly is undervalued on here -- except for the rare cases when HF is trying to prove Crosby and Malkin were surrounded by HoF teammates to diminish their accomplishments. That's around the only time Letang gets any sort of recognition.

I'm a Letang voter here, and have been for idk how many polls now tbh. He's massively underrated for what he is. But i don't entirely agree on your reasoning for why that is exactly. I think a big part of the problem, is actually the multitude of Penguins fans who don't seem to think he's very important, which in turn, suggests to others than he's not really that good.

He's a borderline Top-10 defenceman for me today, but he's often treated strangely. I think it's because people assume he's just some leach who collects points off of Crosby/Malkin. He obviously cashes in on that, but that's not really the player he is. He's not a pure offensive defenceman like Schultz or whatever who stinks at everything other than giving the puck to superstars. Letang is a legitimately well-rounded defenceman with some elite skills.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
Any time someone says something like "defensive results" i immediately cringe hard.

Like, try watching the player before they get their defensive results ya goof. It just immediately reeks of statistical bias, generally of the analytics sort...rather than the actual analysis of truly watching a player and determination based on that. Which is why it's hard for me to not cringe when someone brings up "best results" as an allegation that someone should watch the players more.

I'm a Letang voter here, and have been for idk how many polls now tbh. He's massively underrated for what he is. But i don't entirely agree on your reasoning for why that is exactly. I think a big part of the problem, is actually the multitude of Penguins fans who don't seem to think he's very important, which in turn, suggests to others than he's not really that good.

He's a borderline Top-10 defenceman for me today, but he's often treated strangely. I think it's because people assume he's just some leach who collects points off of Crosby/Malkin. He obviously cashes in on that, but that's not really the player he is. He's not a pure offensive defenceman like Schultz or whatever who stinks at everything other than giving the puck to superstars. Letang is a legitimately well-rounded defenceman with some elite skills.

very good post.

Reactions: sanscosm

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The bolded seems questionable. There's one regular on the Pens forum (don't think he even posts on the main boards) who absolutely hates Letang and blames him for everything, but he's the rare exception. The only other segment of fans are the ones who might be in favor of trading him due to his age/injury history for a "lesser" replacement, but who is younger and healthier.

But in terms of understanding what Letang at his best brings to the Pens, I don't know where you're getting the bolded from.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This could be the most spread out poll yet, noone over 15% of votes lol

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The bolded seems questionable. There's one regular on the Pens forum (don't think he even posts on the main boards) who absolutely hates Letang and blames him for everything, but he's the rare exception. The only other segment of fans are the ones who might be in favor of trading him due to his age/injury history for a "lesser" replacement, but who is younger and healthier.

But in terms of understanding what Letang at his best brings to the Pens, I don't know where you're getting the bolded from.

I don't spend a lot of time in the Penguins forum tbh. But outside of it...there seems to be a lot of posters who are "Penguins fans" who don't seem to appreciate what he brings to that team. It's weird.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad