NHL.com's Top 200 fantasy rankings

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I went though and tallied up how many players from each team were on the list, and we share the most ( 10 ), with Chicago and the Rangers ( kind of surprising there ). Our highest ranked player is Backes at # 36, followed by Petro #53, Steen #63, Oshie #81, Stastny #92, Shatty #95, Ells #101, Schwartz #110, JBo #162, and Tarasenko #179.

The list is made up with goals, assists, plus-minus, power-play points, shots on goal, penalty minutes, goalie wins, goals-against average, save percentage and shutouts being the scoring considerations.

I'm bewildered with how low they rank Tarasenko, meanwhile they have Yakupov up at #129.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tarasenko is the easy sleeper pick this year. Got him on my keeper leagues and will be expecting big things from him. Schwartz was my sleeper pick last season.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah that Tarasenko ranking is way too low. If you're playing with people who don't watch a lot of hockey and just go off the ranking then taking Tarasenko is going to be easy.

You can fill your team with needs and then get Tarasenko at the end.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't play a lot of fantasy hockey, but it seems to me that Ells should clean up in those categories. If you could grab someone like Rask, Quick, or Lundqvist, and pick up Ells as your second goalie, you're set in the net. Agreed that Tarasenko is way too low. I picked up Schwartz after I saw how beastly he was in preseason last year and I was not disappointed :)

fullbluemoon

Jul 19, 2013
I am also very surprised that Ells didn't make the list. He is most likely going to be starting goalie for a team that could easily push for the President's Trophy again. It's not like his SV% or GAA is the reason.. I guess just too many unknowns? But I'll definitely use a later pick on him

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am also very surprised that Ells didn't make the list. He is most likely going to be starting goalie for a team that could easily push for the President's Trophy again. It's not like his SV% or GAA is the reason.. I guess just too many unknowns? But I'll definitely use a later pick on him
He is on the list.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Tarasenko is the easy sleeper pick this year. Got him on my keeper leagues and will be expecting big things from him. Schwartz was my sleeper pick last season.

I've landed Frank with my last pick in almost every team I've run in the last 2 years. The only one I felt that I needed to pick him earlier was in a league with some local friends. I was even able to pick him up undrafted in a league that I forgot about the Draft last year lol. I don't think that's going to be the case this year, I think people are definitely going to be more keyed in on his potential

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've landed Frank with my last pick in almost every team I've run in the last 2 years. The only one I felt that I needed to pick him earlier was in a league with some local friends. I was even able to pick him up undated in a league that I forgot about the Draft last year lol. I don't think that's going to be the case this year, I think people are definitely going to be more keyed in on his potential

Definitely, but you will still be able to get him a few rounds later than he should be.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Backes is very high compared to where Statsny is. I don't see that much of a difference between the two.

Backes is a PIM machine. It's tough to find guys that pile up PIMs and can still put up decent offensive numbers. He helps in every category.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
JBo is way too low.

Elliott seems low, but if he falters and Allen gets a decent amount of starts it could hurt Elliott's value.

Stastny seems about right. Likely fewer goals and PIMs than Backes, even if a higher point total, will reduce Stastny's fantasy value.

No idea what they are thinking with Tarasenko other than his small sample size.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Seems a few people will be upset with Steen this year.

I had Steen in a keeper league last year, so I'll be trading his ass as soon as possible. I love the guy, but someone is going to overpay for him.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I had Steen in a keeper league last year, so I'll be trading his ass as soon as possible. I love the guy, but someone is going to overpay for him.

Yeah for sure. If you're in a league with any causal fans who aren't from St. Louis you could probably sell pretty high on him.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Eh I think Steen should be good for another 30 goal season if reasonably healthy.

High twenties maybe. But if he starts on a line with Lindstrom, and it takes Kindstrom even a few weeks to readjust to the NHL (assuming he does at all), Steen's scoring could suffer.

Honestly, it's a big question mark if Steen will ever hit thirty goals again. It's certainly possible, but I imagine it's unlikely.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Eh I think Steen should be good for another 30 goal season if reasonably healthy.

Steen's shooting percentage was almost 16% last year, and that's *way* above his career average of 10%. He'll regress next year for sure.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
Steen's shooting percentage was almost 16% last year, and that's *way* above his career average of 10%. He'll regress next year for sure.

He's been on pace for 30 before. There's nothing to say he wont be near there this year. Like I said it depends on health.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Over the last five seasons, Steen has played in 77% of his team's game, for an average of 63 games per 82. If that trend continues, in order for him to score 30, he'd have to average nearly .5 goals per game, which in an 82 game season would make him a 40 goal scorer. If he stayed healthy all season and played upwards of 78 games, I wouldn't put it past him to score 30. If he has his usually injury issues, I think 30 is out of reach. His run at the beginning of last season is the definition of unsustainable. He was outscoring Ovechkin at one point :laugh: I love Steener, but I think he settles back to his 20 goals, 30 assists with solid two way play. That would be enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad