The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yzerman doesn't think you can 'build a team through free agency'

upload_2019-6-7_21-9-21.png

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So if we sign Skinner, Bob, Panarin EK and sign and trade for Trouba that wouldn't build a strong team? All that shit is unlikely but would he really tell NHL.com his strategy ? I take anything executives say in the public with a grain of salt.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So if we sign Skinner, Bob, Panarin EK and sign and trade for Trouba that wouldn't build a strong team? All that **** is unlikely but would he really tell NHL.com his strategy ? I take anything executives say in the public with a grain of salt.

I agree that a lot of GMs lean on obvious or meaningless statements when speaking in record. It’s lip service. A lot of words to tell us what we already know, or a lot of words to tell us absolutely nothing.

But in your scenario above, do you know of a way that any team could add $9m, $8m, $10m, $11m, and $6-7m to their cap structure? That’s like $40-45m. It’s impossible to even build a team like that, and I think it puts Yzerman’s comments in the “obvious” category. GMs can’t build a team through free agency because they just don’t have the money to sign all the talent you need and still fill out the roster. Baseball is the only place you can go and truly pull that off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry if I was blunt, but everyone knows the league is set up to draft and develop talent and take control of their cost-controlled years. It’s literally why RFA exists.

So any GM is going to say the same as what Yzerman did here. UFA is a way to supplement your team building, but it’s not the basis of it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Sorry if I was blunt, but everyone knows the league is set up to draft and develop talent and take control of their cost-controlled years. It’s literally why RFA exists.

So any GM is going to say the same as what Yzerman did here. UFA is a way to supplement your team building, but it’s not the basis of it.
Literally a pointless article.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You weren't being too blunt, I almost questioned the need for the thread in my post. Get used to Yzerman giving nothing quotes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He hasn't done it as frequently with AA, he certainly has with Cholowski, but while it is probably nothing, he did leave AA out here when he talked about the young guys.

I think in this case it is more likely that several of these quotes were lifted out of a section of discussion on the World Championships. But still, GMs do speak in riddles to each other, who they list and who they don't when they talk is something they all pay attention to.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Finally, what is your goal for the Red Wings in 2019-20?
"Improvement. Looking on and off the ice in a lot of areas for it, and hopefully it's reflected in the standings. But it may not."

Certainly Yzerman's actions during the last week of June and the first week of July will tell us what he thinks of the core, and what plan is for the upcoming season. I would not be surprised if he moved one or two for prospects. I doubt he signs any significant free agents this year (except if he can get Trouba for a reasonable price).

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
He hasn't done it as frequently with AA, he certainly has with Cholowski, but while it is probably nothing, he did leave AA out here when he talked about the young guys.

I think in this case it is more likely that several of these quotes were lifted out of a section of discussion on the World Championships. But still, GMs do speak in riddles to each other, who they list and who they don't when they talk is something they all pay attention to.
Interesting take. I have been waiting for the AA to Carolina rumor to reignite...I think that Friedman will talk about him before Carolina picks late first. Not predicting a trade, just predicting small talk.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Finally, what is your goal for the Red Wings in 2019-20?
"Improvement. Looking on and off the ice in a lot of areas for it, and hopefully it's reflected in the standings. But it may not."

Certainly Yzerman's actions during the last week of June and the first week of July will tell us what he thinks of the core, and what plan is for the upcoming season. I would not be surprised if he moved one or two for prospects. I doubt he signs any significant free agents this year (except if he can get Trouba for a reasonable price).

I think that is a patience thing, if we are a bottom five team it is what it is.

I mean a big one here is we are very thin on guys that are difference makers. If we were to lose a Larkin for 20 games we are going to be a bottom five team. They could gel and play amazing and challenge to play for a playoffs spot, teams yoyo in the modern NHL, I don't think we will but I am pretty positive that we cannot stomach losing our young core guys for a substantial amount of time.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
My guess is he does nothing.

Sure he may add a depth free agent on defense or package two if our 2nd rounders too move up into the late but will be all.

Next summer we will start too see some moves

Good for you Steve

Reactions: StargateSG1

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting take. I have been waiting for the AA to Carolina rumor to reignite...I think that Friedman will talk about him before Carolina picks late first. Not predicting a trade, just predicting small talk.

I am not sure it is a take, but I am just saying at this time of year when they talk it can be for more than just window dressing. While Stevie is one of the closest to the vest guys, he isn't throwing away media quotes I think as often as a lot of people think. These guys pay enormous attention to what is said and not being said, especially in this month around the league.

We are under no real pressure to make an immediate move. I would love a Trouba, but it does have to make sense. We aren't asset rich so we cannot afford to make missteps right this instant, it might be we can be bolder next summer or near the deadline. Heck he could go for a roster shakup in November though not common place anymore. Still I think it is important to remember these guys talk daily to each other, they know each other well in terms of the GM community. While Stevie might not give the long winded answers Holland does, especially from living near Tampa, he does give away parts of his thought process in terms of these are guys he is building around and these are guys that might just be for sale.

I have said it a lot too, but I would hope they are developing a feeling of where they see Mantha and Athanasiou in terms of salary structure at this point and know how realistic that is with Stevie's vision and Ryan Martin's ability to massage the cap. They should know where their agents are leaning too in terms of their next deal. That is the most critical part of this off-season for me. If they are long-term fits lock them up, if they want too much and we don't see them here for a ton longer, get some value for them now and augment our build with that in mind.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
My guess is he does nothing.

Sure he may add a depth free agent on defense or package two if our 2nd rounders too move up into the late but will be all.

Next summer we will start too see some moves

Good for you Steve
This is probably the smart move, Do nothing this year. And go all out for the 2020/2021 season. Need to resign AA, Bertuzzi and Mantha to long term deals then.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
He is right. With the salary cap, you aren't going to contend by signing max cap hit players to fill out your core.

You need a core that is mostly comprised of players still on their ELC's or their bridge deals before they become FA's. Only way you get that is through drafting.

Reactions: StargateSG1

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I’ve heard the plan was for Holland to stick around for a few years but he was blown away by EDM’s offer.

It seemed like he would go to Seattle or take over for Benning if he got blown out in the next calendar year. But a lot of cheddar and the best player in the world was enough along with his connection to the plains. I thought it was Seattle or Vancouver for sure though in a few years. I wish him luck in Edmonton.

Yzerman is going to sound similar on a lot of stuff and he will say I hope to make the playoffs at least once or twice in camp, I mean they all hope to whether or not it is realistic. I don't think we are long off of some more aggression though. The table is setting up we are approaching the time where we can expect some action over the next 13 months. Yzerman has to deliberate on that, but I am excited to see his plan. I don't think Holland's was going to be the worst in this regard, but it is good to have the Captain back and bury some of the baggage of the ride to the bottom with a lot of people. I didn't have it, but that doesn't mean I am tone deaf to its existence and why this was probably best for all parties. Happy to be a little more upbeat and a little more excited about the Wings. There is an anticipation to this team again and I at least am enjoying that in these early dog days of no Red Wings summer hockey. At least I believe we are taking a swing at something big here and happy to see Stevie back where he belongs.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad