News Article: NHL.COM>New role for Vanek

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
everything will be forgotten if we just beat the bruins. Odds of that happening without Carey.....slim. Torkanisky deserves the start. (sorry about the spelling.)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yhea, people here are really, really looking forward to see Desharnais taking a faceoff in the defensive zone on a regular basis, because they are SO CONFIDENT in his defensive ability. If there's one thing you can safely say about this board (and you obviously) is that you KNOW Desharnais is a reliable defensive centre.

And that Eller is really killin' it at the moment, and has been a reliable part of our lineup.

Let's be real. If Therrien had the luxury of spreading the offensive opportunities more, he would. But at the moment, he only has one defensively reliable centre, and until Eller gets his **** together or Galchenyuk overcomes him reliably, Therrien will have to use Plekanec when need a defensive boost.
Yes, let's be real... he's always had the opportunity to spread the offense around - before Vanek was here - and has chosen not to. There's absolutely zero reason to give DD all the opps and next to none to everyone else. There's zero reason to have DD married to Max and Gallagher, there's zero reason for them to be on the PP all the time... our offense and the PP along with it has sucked.

So now we get Vanek - great. Doesn't it make sense to have him have some offensive opportunities too? I have zero problem with him on a line with Plecs and Gionta (though you could look at other combos) but they should be getting more offensive opps than they are. And Vanek's quotes here are concerning - esp if you want this guy back with us next year. If you don't like Vanek, you're in luck because he probably hates the coach just as much as everyone on the team (except maybe DD and Murray) does.

Right now the only thing that could be said about this guy that's remotely positive is that he's not John Tortorella.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
The problem is that with the Habs' terrible possession game, the defensive faceoffs greatly outnumber the offensive ones. And the fourth line has often needed to be sheltered, rather than being a tool to gobble up some of those defensive faceoffs like it was last year.

HABS win CUPS*

Budaj has been great against the Bruins this year - didnt we start him last time against the Bruins even when Price was healthy as he got the job done

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
... There's absolutely zero reason to give DD all the opps and next to none to everyone else. There's zero reason to have DD married to Max and Gallagher, there's zero reason for them to be on the PP all the time...

There is no good reason for these choices, but there is a reason: DD can't do anything else, he does not have the size or the skills.

Basically MT's plan has been to give the very best offensive-zone faceoffs, the very best linemates and the very best power play opportunities to our player with the smallest frame and smallest skill set. Only under these ideal conditions can the undrafted midget "produce" an assist every two games, and rank 120th in NHL scoring. Without the coddling DD would not have a spot on the roster.

MT is coaching the Montreal Desharnadians. ;)

HABS win CUPS*

There is no good reason for these choices, but there is a reason: DD can't do anything else, he does not have the size or the skills.

Basically MT's plan has been to give the very best offensive-zone faceoffs, the very best linemates and the very best power play opportunities to our player with the smallest frame and smallest skill set. Only under these ideal conditions can the undrafted midget "produce" an assist every two games, and rank 120th in NHL scoring. Without the coddling DD would not have a spot on the roster.

maybe a big new sponsor would come on board

caisse_desjardins_du_temiscamingue.png

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
I'd like to try lines like this:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Vanek-Galchenyuk-Eller (Brière)
Brière (Eller)-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

For some time now, Eller just hasn't been productive as a center. He's not utilizing his wingers properly, lacks creativity and is more perimeter possession than drive the net . However, he's not afraid of the corners, hits hard, has good puck pursuit and protects it well. He's better suited at retrieval. He has played RW before and can adapt.

Galchenyuk should be playing center instead. He should be controlling the play for the line. His vision, instincts and skill pair up nicely with both Vanek and Eller.

Brière can play LW. He often scores on his off wing, quick back door plays on that side. He had chemistry when playing with Plecs and Gio. Putting him on the fourth line is a disservice to both him and the fourth line itself. It weakens its checking ability.

Brière and Eller can be interchangeable, but I'd really like to try the above combination first. I'd like stacking some size with Vanek's line.

Yes, we hold everyone accountable to play a complete gain,however, let's not forget why we got Vanek. He has to be set up for maximum chances for success.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Therrien's job is clearly to lower everyone's value so that Bergevin can try to sign them to a cheaper contract. He makes almost every single player on the team play a role that he has a hard time excelling in. Only Plekanec plays his role perfectly, everyone else is either held back or played in the wrong situations.

PricePkPatch*

Yes, let's be real... he's always had the opportunity to spread the offense around - before Vanek was here - and has chosen not to. There's absolutely zero reason to give DD all the opps and next to none to everyone else. There's zero reason to have DD married to Max and Gallagher, there's zero reason for them to be on the PP all the time... our offense and the PP along with it has sucked.

So now we get Vanek - great. Doesn't it make sense to have him have some offensive opportunities too? I have zero problem with him on a line with Plecs and Gionta (though you could look at other combos) but they should be getting more offensive opps than they are. And Vanek's quotes here are concerning - esp if you want this guy back with us next year. If you don't like Vanek, you're in luck because he probably hates the coach just as much as everyone on the team (except maybe DD and Murray) does.

Right now the only thing that could be said about this guy that's remotely positive is that he's not John Tortorella.

The alternative to putting plek on the ice is putting Eller. And at the moment, with the slugs he's got as wingers, I understand why Therrien doesn't trust them.

With Prust's return that could help Eller to be a more effective shutdown line, maybe Therrien will adjust and give more offensive chances to Plek. But that's the thing: he has to feel he can trust them. A healthy Prust can certainly do the job..

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I know that MT wouldn't dare touch the DD line, but now with Vanek you could actually move Max/Gallagher with Pleks to help him drive possession the opposite direction against top lines and give Vanek/Galchenyuk to DD in as high as possible offensive zone starts in the easiest matchups possible. Moen/Eller/Gionta as a dependable two way line, and the 4th line could also be Prust/Briere/Bourque which would be a top level 4th line in the league that could give you offence from the 4th line where there is currently none. It's a different approach, but I'm in favour of anything that isn't the status quo up to this point + Vanek. We've seen the status quo and it isn't helping the team play much above .500 since December 1. And then the defence is a whole other can of worms, but experimenting now wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
I'd like to try lines like this:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Vanek-Galchenyuk-Eller (Brière)
Brière (Eller)-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

For some time now, Eller just hasn't been productive as a center. He's not utilizing his wingers properly, lacks creativity and is more perimeter possession than drive the net . However, he's not afraid of the corners, hits hard, has good puck pursuit and protects it well. He's better suited at retrieval. He has played RW before and can adapt.

Galchenyuk should be playing center instead. He should be controlling the play for the line. His vision, instincts and skill pair up nicely with both Vanek and Eller.

Brière can play LW. He often scores on his off wing, quick back door plays on that side. He had chemistry when playing with Plecs and Gio. Putting him on the fourth line is a disservice to both him and the fourth line itself. It weakens its checking ability.

Brière and Eller can be interchangeable, but I'd really like to try the above combination first. I'd like stacking some size with Vanek's line.

Yes, we hold everyone accountable to play a complete gain,however, let's not forget why we got Vanek. He has to be set up for maximum chances for success.

I've thought for a long time now as well that Eller should be moved to wing except I would go...

Patches DD Eller
Vanek Chuckie Gally
Briere Pleks Gio
Moen White Prust

Not that I made a major change there but yeah, It's Time for Eller to be moved to the wing now.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What's to get?

We traded for a legit NHL 1st line winger and we don't have a 1st line centre for him to play with (and haven't in at least 15 years) so do we play him with one of our #2Cs or one of our #3Cs?

I don't like the way MT is running the team but there's a lack of real options here

Like the one we drafted that is playing on the wing? :cry:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I really don't know what to say. I have seen the same FAILED management for the last 20 years. Faces change, I know, but here we are again.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Every shift Vanek's getting better and better in his checking role. Who knows we might even have a real Radek Bonk or Mike Johnson.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Good news, Vanek was on the 1st line PP... with DD of course.

Holy ****.
The alternative to putting plek on the ice is putting Eller. And at the moment, with the slugs he's got as wingers, I understand why Therrien doesn't trust them.

With Prust's return that could help Eller to be a more effective shutdown line, maybe Therrien will adjust and give more offensive chances to Plek. But that's the thing: he has to feel he can trust them. A healthy Prust can certainly do the job..
There are several alternatives... But MT is an idiot. I'm sorry but it's gone beyond the point of even rationally discussing this. Freaking Bouillion is out there? WTF??????

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
At least we know the reason Boullion hasn't played so long is to save his energy to carry the team to playoffs.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yep.....

Desharnais isn't a first line center, that's the job he's getting
Bouillon isn't a Offensive/PP player, that's the job he's getting
Galchenyuk isn't a Winger or a 3th line grinder, that's the job he's getting
Gallagher isn't a 6'4", physical presence in front of the net, that's the job he's getting
Subban isn't a defensive defenceman, that's the job he's getting
Bournival isn't a 4th line player, that's the job he's getting
Briere isn't a winger or a 4th line player, that's the job he's getting

Vanek isn't a defensive minded forward, that's the job he's getting.

These I would partially disagree with. Gallagher may not be 6'4', but his tenacity and push back make him fit the role. A comparison would be Burrows (prior to this season), who despite his size caused fits. The issue stems more from lack of support given how Desharnais needs to be sheltered to be even remotely effective. I still feel a line of Pacioretty/Desharnais/Vanek would be better.

As for Briere, he plays the wing just fine. He did in Philly and has here. In fact, he's arguably the only one who works with Plekanec and Gionta. Therrien is just an idiot, who puts Vanek there instead for... god only knows what reason.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
These I would partially disagree with. Gallagher may not be 6'4', but his tenacity and push back make him fit the role. A comparison would be Burrows (prior to this season), who despite his size caused fits. The issue stems more from lack of support given how Desharnais needs to be sheltered to be even remotely effective. I still feel a line of Pacioretty/Desharnais/Vanek would be better.

As for Briere, he plays the wing just fine. He did in Philly and has here. In fact, he's arguably the only one who works with Plekanec and Gionta. Therrien is just an idiot, who puts Vanek there instead for... god only knows what reason.

MT put Vanek with Plekanec, hes an idiot.
MT does not put Vanek with Plekanec, hes an idiot.

:laugh::laugh::help: fefans are getting out of control

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad