News Article: NHL.com has Andreas Johnsson going 29th overall in a 2013 re-draft

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Burakovsky at 9, with Drouin at 15?? For that matter, Elias Lindholm over Drouin? I know Drouin had a rough year, but he was playing out of position, and Montreal were a tire fire, everyone had down years for them. He’s crazy talented, should be a lot higher than 15.

Also, Zadorov not in the top 30 is pretty crazy. Weird list overall.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Unless you are picking top 5 (even 10), if you can score a Johnsson/Dermott every year I'll take it.
We do need some more quality depth between the Kadri level and Johnsson level moving forward though. Especially at C.

Yep, and D.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The frustrating thing about the draft is not just the Gauthier pick, but the fact that they could have traded down with CHI in the Bolland trade, instead of giving up a 2nd round pick.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I remember when he was overseas starting to get excited about the reports and production, but then thinking he was still a real long shot. His development and growth haven't stopped since, he just gets better and better, it's really been a dream scenario. I can honestly see him in our top 9 for years to come and not just okay either. What a great story since he was drafted.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The frustrating thing about the draft is not just the Gauthier pick, but the fact that they could have traded down with CHI in the Bolland trade, instead of giving up a 2nd round pick.
Every draft is could have, should have....there's some board right now saying why didn't we draft Johnsson he was sitting there for 6 rounds, lol.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The big question is what does Dubas sign him for?

I haven't really seen this discussed much around here... but Johnsson is an RFA this year.

Does he get a Hyman/Brown type of deal? Do you go $3 million x 6 years? Do you do a cheap $1.5 x 2 years deal?

I really like Johnsson. Hope we sign him long and cheap.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Every draft is could have, should have....there's some board right now saying why didn't we draft Johnsson he was sitting there for 6 rounds, lol.
I'm not sure how your reply relates to my comment. The point was that to add insult to injury we could have traded back with CHI instead of giving up a 2nd round pick+ for Bolland just so we could draft Gauthier at 21, who would have probably been there at 30 anyways. As for the pick, many people including myself at the time didn't like it and felt he had very little upside with him topping out as a 3rd line centre. That being said it wasn't a great draft, so I'm not terribly surprised if he doesn't make it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Depth is key. And it takes multiple picks, time and luck to do it.
Enter a ton of Pittsburgh depth in Sheary,Rust,Kuhnackle,Murray,Guentzel,etc.
You forgot Bonino who was huge for Pitt. I would have had him 2nd in the Conn Smythe after Kessel for that first cup. I had Crosby no higher than 3rd.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The big question is what does Dubas sign him for?

I haven't really seen this discussed much around here... but Johnsson is an RFA this year.

Does he get a Hyman/Brown type of deal? Do you go $3 million x 6 years? Do you do a cheap $1.5 x 2 years deal?

I really like Johnsson. Hope we sign him long and cheap.

Well, I suggested 2.5x4. Not too high, reasonable term, and offers the team an escape clause after 2 years if he ends up not being worth as much as the team believed Matt Martin would be.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
People say to win championships you have to get lucky in either the draft or lucky with other peoples assets (UFA/trade). Looks like we got lucky with AJ.

Didn't Detroit draft a few guys in the 200's that turned out to be steals?

Yes both Datsyuk and Zetterberg were late round picks.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Looks like if there was a re draft with Nylander he'd end up 2nd overall, maybe 3rd.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Does he get a Hyman/IBrown type of deal? Do you go $3 million x 6 years? Do you do a cheap $1.5 x 2 years deal?

That doesn't exist because those deals were signed under very different circumstances. Hyman was signed @25 for 2 years RFA + 2 years UFA expiring as UFA. Brown was signed @23 for 3 years RFA expiring as an RFA. IMO Johnsson should get 1 one of

1 x 950k -1.1
2x 1.3-1.5
3x- 1.6-2
6/7x ??? 2.5-2.8

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I still think its hilarious that burke was right about rielly lmao. Just so you know, mo is 3rd in points out of that entire draft class, only forsberg and gally have more points. Burkie was right though, we certainly did win that draft.

Yak - bust
Murray - failed to reach top end potential
gally - good player
reinhart - bust
mo- top pair d man

I mean c'mon!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I still think its hilarious that burke was right about rielly lmao. Just so you know, mo is 3rd in points out of that entire draft class, only forsberg and gally have more points. Burkie was right though, we certainly did win that draft.

Yak - bust
Murray - failed to reach top end potential
gally - good player
reinhart - bust
mo- top pair d man

I mean c'mon!
For all the criticism Burke gets about being a loud mouth, drafting Rielly and saying he had him rated 1st overall among the 2012 prospects was not one of those times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad