News Article: NHL Coaches: Rangers overwhelmingly are the team to beat

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
the corsi comment was just a joke. Ive already, many times, said i like advanced stats...quite a bit actually. But i think context is always important. To me the Rangers are an incredible team. they are a team that SHOULD be a favorite to win the cup.

They arent a juggernaut thats going to rampage through the playoffs, but of all the teams in the NHL, i like our chances the best. its still the hardest trophy to win.
the 1994 team was the presidents trophy winner...took 2 game 7s to pull out a cup, and Vancouver was kind of a soft draw in the finals.

its hard to win the cup, no matter how good you are.

These Rangers aren't the greatest team of all time.

but they are a damn good team. The best ive seen from this club in a long long time.

I am agreement with you, but I want to add something.

People forget the momentum the Canucks had in 1994.

And the trades with the Blues in the early 90s were paying dividends.

McClean was standing on his head, they were tough (Physically), and Trevor Linden was no slouch of a leader either.

Pavel Bure was a monster! If it wasn't for a Jay Well's nose, and "the save," we wouldn't be champions, and it still took 7 games.

My point is that it's a second season, and it is a very hard trophy. The Rangers do have a great shot.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If you guys don't want to read about it maybe stop bringing it up in every post.

We had to get beat up for 70 games over 5 months as the rest of the league was screaming that our wins are a short lucky streak that is bound to end because of Corsi. Now we aren't allowed to celebrate that we didn't collapse and proved everyone wrong? I think "Rangers suck because of Corsi" still outnumbers "Rangers are good and Corsi was wrong" by a factor of 15 or 20. Seriously, the last time I read that the Rangers are about to collapse because of Corsi was 2 days ago, right before we wiped the floor with the Devils.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
We had to get beat up for 70 games over 5 months as the rest of the league was screaming that our wins are a short lucky streak that is bound to end because of Corsi. Now we aren't allowed to celebrate that we didn't collapse and proved everyone wrong? I think "Rangers suck because of Corsi" still outnumbers "Rangers are good and Corsi was wrong" by a factor of 15 or 20. Seriously, the last time I read that the Rangers are about to collapse because of Corsi was 2 days ago, right before we wiped the floor with the Devils.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Who did you prove wrong? The playoffs haven't even started yet.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Even if the Rangers get swept in the first round, that won't change things. The whole anti-Rangers argument was that it was a short streak based on luck and a few players going really hot. A full 82 game season is neither short nor luck, it's proof that the team is good.

If they get eliminated in the first round, I'll attribute that to a short cold streak and bad luck. In the last 4 years, this team went to the Eastern Conference Finals, the second round, Stanley Cup Finals and now won the President's Trophy. Short-term luck my ass.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015

You're a Ranger fan, yet it sounds like you want to be proven right?

Might not be such a good idea to become so invested in stats if you're going to root for stat-vindication, as opposed to your team.

I don't mean any offense by that, but c'mon man.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even if the Rangers get swept in the first round, that won't change things. The whole anti-Rangers argument was that it was a short streak based on luck and a few players going really hot. A full 82 game season is neither short nor luck, it's proof that the team is good.

If they get eliminated in the first round, I'll attribute that to a short cold streak and bad luck. In the last 4 years, this team went to the Eastern Conference Finals, the second round, Stanley Cup Finals and now won the President's Trophy. Short-term luck my ass.

Haven't won the PT yet technically, but it'll take a miracle for them not to win it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You're a Ranger fan, yet it sounds like you want to be proven right?

Might not be such a good idea to become so invested in stats if you're going to root for stat-vindication, as opposed to your team.

I don't mean any offense by that, but c'mon man.
I wanted to trade Nash and I have done literally nothing but eat crow on that all season long.

I've been wrong a LOT of times, find me anyone who owns up to it more than I do.

And I think it's ******** when everyone said we were "lucky" last season, that's a crock of ****. And I love that we're about to win the President's Trophy this year, after everyone said we were "lucky" last year. I don't take any offense though, no worries.

Last edited:

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
I don't get this fixation on puck possession statistics. Teams have different styles, and just because you hold onto the puck longer doesn't mean you are better. Perfect example is in soccer...some teams do very well with ball possession (Barcelona), they'll hold onto the ball for 70% of the game and dominate. There are other teams though, that maintain possession and lose quite frequently. The biggest example I can think of was AC Milan last year. Possession is all well and good, but it is a very one dimensional way of looking at things.

There are other teams that see less of the ball and are way more efficient. Even in last year's Champions League final, Real Madrid saw ~30% of the ball and won 4-0.
http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/81...ns-League-2013-2014-Bayern-Munich-Real-Madrid

Quite frankly, if we're winning this much and our differential is that strong is shows that we're playing a pretty good brand of hockey that doesn't require copious amounts of puck possession. If we're organized defensively, construct our attacks effectively, and execute, why in the world would we need redundant possession.

Last edited:

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I wanted to trade Nash and I have done literally nothing but eat crow on that all season long.

I've been wrong a LOT of times, find me anyone who owns up to it more than I do.

And I think it's ******** when everyone said we were "lucky" last season, that's a crock of ****.

I hear ya. I'm too new to know much board history.

I just think it might be best for fans to try to prognosticate less ... and just watch the games.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I hear ya. I'm too new to know much board history.

I just think it might be best for fans to try to prognosticate less ... and just watch the games.
No worries. Everyone is a very welcome addition. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this team winning a Cup would be one of the best moments in my life. I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who has fantasized about McDonagh handing Lundqvist the Stanley Cup without lifting it himself.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No worries. Everyone is a very welcome addition. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this team winning a Cup would be one of the best moments in my life. I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who has fantasized about McDonagh handing Lundqvist the Stanley Cup without lifting it himself.

I'm a little verklempt just thinking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad