NHL claims this is the best playoff format they have ever had. no changes on horizon

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Same guy who says 'there's not enough data' regarding CTE and concussions.

cool-laugh-gif-886.gif

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He probably forgot that the league has 31 teams with unbalanced conferences. Its easy to forget when you don't invest too much time into the NHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes he is stop it. This format makes me watch less national game because the difference between 3rd best in the conference to 6th is non existent so why bother caring

We need to start a letter writing campaign to try ans change this dumbass ****ty format

So your issue is not with the format of the playoffs but with parity in the league.

Reactions: bigbuffalo313

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The format is pretty flawed since juggernauts tend to take eachother out fairly early.

Hence the

or3LD_s-200x150.gif

Reactions: Lilou

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only 2nd round match up from last year that was the same to this year was the pens/caps series.

The only fans that can complain about facing the same teams with this new format is the caps vs pens. Every other team basically plays a new team every year.

Since the format change we've seen the following series multiple times:

Rangers vs Pens (3 times)
Jackets vs Pens
Pens vs Caps
Rangers vs Habs
Lightning vs Habs
Lightning vs Wings
Blues vs Wild
Sharks vs Kings
Ducks vs Flames

10 remmatches in 5 years, good for 21 series, making up over a quarter of the 75 series played in those 5 years. Tell me more about how everyone "plays a new team every year."

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not a fan of it simply because it stripped much of the incentive out of being one of the top teams in the regular season. I really hope the Preds dial it back this year and save it for the playoffs, home ice has meant nearly nothing this season across the board.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of it simply because it stripped much of the incentive out of being one of the top teams in the regular season. I really hope the Preds dial it back this year and save it for the playoffs, home ice has meant nearly nothing this season across the board.
Also time zones for the west.

La, SJ, Ana, van, Vegas, AZ (no daylight savings so playoff time they are pst.). Add in soon to be Seattle and that’s 7 teams in pst zone. Only 3 in mst in Edm, cal, col. other 6 are cst.

Don’t think the pst and cst want to be playing 2 time zones apart through rounds 1-3.

In the east, no time zone issues. So, way easier for them to go 1-8.

In the nba this year you had GS play SA, so like SJ playing Dallas. And Portland play New Orleans. Would be like Seattle playing Nashville in terms of distance.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

La, SJ, Ana, van, Vegas, AZ (no daylight savings so playoff time they are pst.). Add in soon to be Seattle and that’s 7 teams in pst zone. Only 3 in mst in Edm, cal, col. other 6 are cst.

Don’t think the pst and cst want to be playing 2 time zones apart through rounds 1-3.

In the nba this year you had GS play SA, so like SJ playing Dallas. And Portland play New Orleans. Would be like Seattle playing Nashville in terms of distance.
It's one reason I would be some what interested in seeing it go from east/west to north/south. Make those east teams have some crazy travel just like the west does.

Reactions: Jamin

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It’s a broken system with broken incentives.

Western teams wanted to cross time zones less often come playoff time. Even the Central teams that screwed themselves by voting for this format.

Would be like Seattle playing Nashville in terms of distance.

Which Nashville would like to avoid. It's why the original realignment idea was a strict top 4. Nobody wants to travel to the west coast.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

That doesn't seem like much of an issue to me. It's how it was for years.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Since the format change we've seen the following series multiple times:

Rangers vs Pens (3 times)
Jackets vs Pens
Pens vs Caps
Rangers vs Habs
Lightning vs Habs
Lightning vs Wings
Blues vs Wild
Sharks vs Kings
Ducks vs Flames

10 remmatches in 5 years, good for 21 series, making up over a quarter of the 75 series played in those 5 years. Tell me more about how everyone "plays a new team every year."

That's the idea. Create rivalries. This format is fine. It works as intended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad