NHL Center Ice Online

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
I have the NHL Center Ice DirecTv package at my house. I go to school out of state and obviously want to watch the Panthers online. Does anyone know if DirecTv allows subscribers to watch NHL Center Ice online, similar to what they do for NFL Sunday Ticket?

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I'm just going off of what I have done for the past 6-7 years with Center ice on regular cable, but I would have to assume that you do NOT get Gamecenter with Center ice on DirecTv, it's a separate fee. To be honest with you, I would get Gamecenter this year, since the Xbox, your Computer, PS3, Tablet, Phone can get gamecenter.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Speaking of Gamecenter, can anyone review it for me? I may be moving to Japan in March-April, and really want to watch games, especially come playoff time. Is their package worth it? Or would I be better off trying to find free streams online?

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Speaking of Gamecenter, can anyone review it for me? I may be moving to Japan in March-April, and really want to watch games, especially come playoff time. Is their package worth it? Or would I be better off trying to find free streams online?

I use Gamecenter and I think it is worth it. I've been re-watching this past Panthers season on my PS3 all this time (to fill the lockout void). There sometimes is some lag on the PS3 compared to MLB.TV. But watching on the computer works fine and my computer is pretty old with out of date internal capabilities. And as far as playoffs go, they weren't live on Gamecenter and I had to find online streams so there is that.

I'm actually waiting for them to price this season's package so I can order.

-ghoste

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I use Gamecenter and I think it is worth it. I've been re-watching this past Panthers season on my PS3 all this time (to fill the lockout void). There sometimes is some lag on the PS3 compared to MLB.TV. But watching on the computer works fine and my computer is pretty old with out of date internal capabilities. And as far as playoffs go, they weren't live on Gamecenter and I had to find online streams so there is that.

-ghoste

Thanks for the input, ghoste.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

-ghoste

seconded. left center ice a couple of years ago. 2 HD games per night (usually - 1 early, 1 late) is unacceptable and that's what i was getting in boston. watching their SD was painful. gamecenter doesn't (or didn't - hopefully that begins to change) ) feel like you're watching cable but it's not bad and it is HD(ish). there isn't any stuttering, tho it's not as robust as it should be; sometimes i have to exit from a game and restart the stream. hoping that improves this year. all in all tho, much happier than with CI. you can watch from anywhere - your phone, a random PC, an internet cafe in ____... that's a really nice aspect of the package.

gamecenter does go off the air at the end of the regular season, as the nbc network picked up all of the playoff games. if you have a regular cable package, you should get all the playoff games, as they're on nbc sports network and cnbc (maybe msnbc as well). if not, you'll have to find streams or hit a sports bar.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
playoffs. last year i had a major problem with panther playoff games. see my rant thread about comcast. if the magic were playing on fox the same time the panthers were comcast would air the magic. problem there still was a local feed for fox for the panthers which was not available to me. when i tried nbc i was blacked out since there was a local feed. so if there is a local feed nbc will not air the game in that area! very frustrating!!!! this is true for first round at least.

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
I also have been looking into this as I moved to DC for graduate school and work (I actually live right across the street from the Caps practice center lol). I have numerous friends in the area who all say Game Center >>>> Center Ice, so I will be investing in it. Once I get it up and running next week, I will happily provide my thoughts on here for anyone. I may just wait a week because I will be out of town this weekend, and center ice is free on preview until the 31st, so I am going to wait until my financial aid drops.

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
playoffs. last year i had a major problem with panther playoff games. see my rant thread about comcast. if the magic were playing on fox the same time the panthers were comcast would air the magic. problem there still was a local feed for fox for the panthers which was not available to me. when i tried nbc i was blacked out since there was a local feed. so if there is a local feed nbc will not air the game in that area! very frustrating!!!! this is true for first round at least.

This is a very common sports problem in areas where your desired team is the 2nd or 3rd team. The national media can't compete (for cable legal reasons) with a local feed, so they get blacked out way in advance, and then if there is a conflict on a station that sports two teams (Magic and Panthers for example), the local network obviously has to pick one, but if NBC showed the Panthers game than it would be competing in areas where the Panthers are broad casted instead of the Magic (like in Sunrise). Its dumb, but its because the national NBC broadcast is standard all over the state, where the local FoxSports can change what it shows from county to county. Its a **** show, but its unavoidable as far as I know....

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
When did Xbox get Gamecenter?

Yeah I saw this the other day and I was sooo happy! I don't have to watch Panthers hockey on my laptop anymore! I have a perfectly good 47" LED TV to be put to use :)

(issue is that my laptop has every last port but an HDMI, so there was always an issue with audio or video going through)

k2737

Mar 29, 2012
FLL
NHL Gamecenter will be $49.99 for this season.

-ghoste

I think they auto-renewed my account earlier this year....if they reduced the price they better be crediting me some monies. :rant:

Last edited:

floridashawn

Jun 13, 2007
Broward, FL
Just a heads up for those purchasing GameCenter this year. I bought it yesterday and went to link it up on my Ps3, and the 2012-13 version of the app is not available yet. I called them and they said it will be available Feb 1 at the latest. So until the updated app is ready you will not be able to watch games on your ps3/xbox.

Just my 2c, GameCenter is way more useful than CI. ALL games in HD, both home and away feeds. Games available any time, plus great highlight packages after game ends. I have cable internet through Comcast and the picture is crystal clear 95% of the time.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Just a heads up for those purchasing GameCenter this year. I bought it yesterday and went to link it up on my Ps3, and the 2012-13 version of the app is not available yet. I called them and they said it will be available Feb 1 at the latest. So until the updated app is ready you will not be able to watch games on your ps3/xbox.

Just my 2c, GameCenter is way more useful than CI. ALL games in HD, both home and away feeds. Games available any time, plus great highlight packages after game ends. I have cable internet through Comcast and the picture is crystal clear 95% of the time.

Right on, thanks for the heads up. And you are definitely right about the highlights for each game. Every night before bed I'll sit and watch the highlights of every game. Great stuff!

-ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad