NHL Cap Reality

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing I noticed about the Hartnell-Umberger thread was the insistence you could trade Hartnell for a top draft pick.

Uh, as a long-time NFL fan, I can tell you that ain't happening no more unless you can find a really stupid GM.

Look at DeSean or Flowers on KC, they couldn't be traded.
You'll see the same thing in Hockey as teams realize they can't afford to pay big money to players in their 30s and retain their young talent - and the young talent in their 3-5 years or so are the key to remaining competitive, experienced enough to play on the top lines or as top 4 defensemen, but still cheap enough they don't swallow your cap.

That means high draft picks will increase in value, and trading high priced veterans in their 30s, especially as they approach the "cliff" around age 33-34, will be difficult to move except in deals where you pick up comparable salaries. So getting rid of two years of Hartnell's deal is very good, picking up a 4th rd pick is better, because odds are both players will be liabilities after this season (they both turn 34 next season).

Same thing with Vinny, he has 3 years left, you might get one more 60 game, 20 goal, bad defense season out of him, then who knows? So what would you give for him in a trade? A fourth or fifth round pick IF you had plenty of cap room to carry his deal for three years. Certainly not a 1st or 2nd round pick. And a team that is worried about the cap won't even touch him unless you pick up an equivalent salary.

So reality check, Hextall is taking out the trash, trying to dump bad contracts that will weigh him down. McDonald may be overpaid, but at least in three years he'll be 30 with 3 years left on his deal, still a tradeable commodity - but giving out anything more than a 1-2 year deal for a veteran over the age of 32 is insanity in today's NHL. Because good luck trading a 34 year old veteran with 3 or 4 high priced seasons left on his contract.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's not a good conparasion while draft picks have become more important in the salary cap world in hockey compared to the pre-salary era. In football you're expecting the majority of your picks to make the team that following & contribute in some fashion which isn't the case hockey where you would be lucky to have one player to do that for you. They're still valued higher but not in comparison to the NFL.

I also don't think much were expecting high picks (outside of a few yahoo's) for Hartnell but we could have done better than Umberger & a 4th rounder but as I said in the other thread it's tough to hang this one on Hextall's head, Hartnell wanted out & controlled every move.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd say Hockey picks fall between the NFL and Major League baseball.
1st rd picks have a lot of value (how often do the Flyers miss?), 2nd rd less so, 3rd rd are hit and miss, after that it's like a late round pick in football.

But like the NFL, teams don't want to give up high picks AND take on sizeable salaries, b/c they can always use the money to sign a player without giving up picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad