NHL Calgary purchases local NLL team

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Flames own the Saddledome and now all 3 team that play in it as well. More money for the owners. Now give Feaster the green light to buy out Stajan. :nod:

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
I wish the flames luck with this. The necks were on finical life support late last season. Missing paychecks and such.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
SVSE (parent of Sharks) partnered with a couple of NHL players and others to own the NLL Stealth when they were in SJ. (Relocated to Portland, IIRC.)

The Stealth moved to Seattle (well actually Everett, WA), not Portland.

They play out of the ~8K seat Comcast Arena - the home of the WHL Silvertips.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Technically the Flames don't own the Saddledome, they just manage it.

It should work out, it wasn't a great setup the team had before (basically the only thing Banister would get was the ticket revenue, no concessions) and was similar to the Hitmen's early years. The Flames buying the Hitmen has worked out great so hopefully this has similar results.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Good move from the Flames board - more money coming in and they can split that how they see fit, if they feel that there's a possibility of some of the money not being needed that comes in from the Lacrosse games then they can use that for the Flames.

The Pouzar

May 6, 2009
The Kop
I remember it being mentioned, that Bannister's end goal had always been to make a profit by selling the franchise to the Flames at some point. I'm assuming that the Flames were aware of this and held out so as to have pay as little as possible to purchase the team.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
This is also good for the stability for the NLL. I know there were concerns by many fans about Roughnecks making it to next season. Hopefully this is a turn for something bigger, and soon we will be making threads speculating about lacrosse surpassing soccer in revenue...;)

Lacrosse has always been hockey's little brother. I don't think there are two sports that are closer to one another. Many hockey players have played lacrosse and vice versa. It's nice that big brother is looking out for little brother...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368888

Joins Buffalo and Colorado as owners of NLL teams.

SVSE (parent of Sharks) partnered with a couple of NHL players and others to own the NLL Stealth when they were in SJ. (Relocated to Portland, IIRC.)

Close, they relocated to Everett, Washington and are the Washington Stealth.

Good move from the Flames board - more money coming in and they can split that how they see fit, if they feel that there's a possibility of some of the money not being needed that comes in from the Lacrosse games then they can use that for the Flames.

It's definitely not that lucrative of a business. Not lucrative enough where the Flames get to play with leftover money, if anything it's the other way around. It sounds like the only reason the Flames bought them was so the Roughnecks wouldn't move. If you're in a less-than-desirable situation, it is encouraged that you relocate, suspend, or fold. It happens quite often.

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
I'm actually surprised that MLSE doesn't own the Toronto Rock. For a NLL team, they draw well. They play out of the ACC, and MLSE owns every other pro sports team except for the Blue Jays in Toronto.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
It's definitely not that lucrative of a business. Not lucrative enough where the Flames get to play with leftover money, if anything it's the other way around. It sounds like the only reason the Flames bought them was so the Roughnecks wouldn't move. If you're in a less-than-desirable situation, it is encouraged that you relocate, suspend, or fold. It happens quite often.

I don't think the Flames would have bought a thing unless they thought they could make money off of it and I have little doubt that the team wont be profitable with the ticket revenue, more efficient staff and increased promotion to go along with the concession money they already got. The common perception seems to be that the reason it was taking so long is because the Flames were pretty steadfast in how much they were willing to pay for the team and Bannister was trying to squeeze every last penny he could.

It's great that Bannister brought the NLL here and he was a pretty good GM, but getting him out as the owner has been long overdue.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
hmm interesting... I thought they already did, since they sold NLL Calgary merch through their team-owned stores earlier this season, which aside from Flames / Heritage Classic merch only had a smattering of WHL Calgary (also owned by the Flames) & NLL Calgary stuff. Mind you, this was in late March/early April, so it could've simply been the prelude to this.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I'm actually surprised that MLSE doesn't own the Toronto Rock. For a NLL team, they draw well. They play out of the ACC, and MLSE owns every other pro sports team except for the Blue Jays in Toronto.

MLSE doesn't own the Argonauts football team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad