NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Raptor is great but the brand will never be able to outgrow Toronto. And smith wants to build a brand.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I really, really hope they do NOT go with the Euro-style team names, Utah HC is lame for a team name. I personally hate that MLS has adopted this moniker for half of their teams, it's so boring.

Utah Outlaws gets my vote, but I can see them going the Blizzard route, to have the double Z's with the Jazz, and because Utah has mountains and snow. Instant rivalry with Colorado, with both teams having snow-themed team names lol.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I really, really hope they do NOT go with the Euro-style team names, Utah HC is lame for a team name. I personally hate that MLS has adopted this moniker for half of their teams, it's so boring.

Utah Outlaws gets my vote, but I can see them going the Blizzard route, to have the double Z's with the Jazz, and because Utah has mountains and snow. Instant rivalry with Colorado, with both teams having snow-themed team names lol.
Utah Blizzards sounds right and yes the double z's.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I'm starting to become convinced that I'm on to something here...

Utah Rebels. Lean in to a subdued Wild West theme, have the logo prominently feature a train ("rebels" = "train heist", not a perfect analogy, but it would work). Secondary logo could feature the "Golden Spike", metaphorically perhaps?

Deep purple primary colour with light blue / gold accents.

Please make this happen (wish I was more of a logo designer)!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Utah Rebels. Lean in to a subdued Wild West theme, have the logo prominently feature a train ("rebels" = "train heist", not a perfect analogy, but it would work). Secondary logo could feature the "Golden Spike", metaphorically perhaps?

Rebels has too many ties to the Confederacy to name a professional sports team that

Reactions: cptjeff

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can SLC actually support a team? Is this really a hockey starved area? Seems to me to be a small population that is not in a traditional hockey market, so you are betting on support from a small subset of a small number.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Can SLC actually support a team? Is this really a hockey starved area? Seems to me to be a small population that is not in a traditional hockey market, so you are betting on support from a small subset of a small number.
71% white city, fast growing for tech with a winter sports culture. They filled the arena on a weekday afternoon for a team introduction. It's a bullseye on hockey's target demographic, it will be fine.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Utah’s franchise branding feels about as inspired as a create a franchise mode in NHL 24.

Utah Ace. Utah Comets. Etc.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
29k+ Season Ticket Deposits in <2 weeks
Sold out Delta Center (looked to be about 70-75% of capacity) for an event that was announced with 5 days notice at 4pm on a weekday to the point they had to turn hundreds of people away

I think we will be fine

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
29k+ Season Ticket Deposits in <2 weeks
Sold out Delta Center (looked to be about 70-75% of capacity) for an event that was announced with 5 days notice at 4pm on a weekday to the point they had to turn hundreds of people away

I think we will be fine
Arena was absolutely nuts from what I heard. Players are reporting to be really excited too. I think this will be a home run for the NHL.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Teams are moving away from being named after criminals, rebels can't work because of the civil war

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Arena was absolutely nuts from what I heard. Players are reporting to be really excited too. I think this will be a home run for the NHL.
I couldnt go due to work, but watching the live stream it was LOUD in there the entire night. A really big "Let's go Utah" chant before player introductions and overall just a ton of energy. The key will be maintaining that going forward so hopefully they can continue to build off the foundation as an org and spend some money to be competitive quick and I think it will be great

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Outlaws
Mammoth
Blizzard
Venom

Utah HC
Fury
Ice

Yetis
00UoI9i.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: tarheelhockey

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Teams are moving away from being named after criminals, rebels can't work because of the civil war
If the mascot of a college found in the deep south can be the Rebels (Ole Miss), then a team in Utah can be the rebels.

We have a team in the NHL already whose name is directly taken from the Civil War, granted the other side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad