NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
This is probably European bias, but I really don't see anything wrong with Utah Hockey Club as a permanent name. That would actually feel unique in North American big-4 sports, as opposed to the usual gimmick names.
Go Hockey Club! No, let's try something else.

Reactions: Aves Fren

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Yeah, because "Golden Knights" and "Kraken" were so much better... Utah's name will sound goofy at first and then become accepted over time.
You really can't go wrong with "Knights" in your name, and the Kraken knocked it out of the park with the colour scheme and log.

Utah could and just may do the same. If Smith decides to align with the Jazz's purple scheme, that would go a long way in standing out and being a hit right off the bat.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It just wasn’t working in Arizona. It’s the right move. I’m glad at least the coyotes or whatever they might be called probably stand a better chance in a location that has more support/funding. It’s no secret the coyotes were marred with poor attendance and financial issues.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
This is probably European bias, but I really don't see anything wrong with Utah Hockey Club as a permanent name. That would actually feel unique in North American big-4 sports, as opposed to the usual gimmick names.

Honestly, the more I see these awful, generic names thrown about, the more I'm liking Utah HC too. It's not that out of place: the Habs' official name is "Club de Hockey Canadien", which is why it's often referred to in French as "le Canadien", singular. And if the team develops a nickname naturally later on, they can switch to that; it's how many early NHL teams got their name.

As far as "SLC teams borrowing European name conventions" goes, it's a hell of a lot better than Real Salt Lake. To me, that might still be the stupidest name in major NA pro sports.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As far as "SLC teams borrowing European name conventions" goes, it's a hell of a lot better than Real Salt Lake. To me, that might still be the stupidest name in major NA pro sports.
Yeah some of the names in MLS that have been borrowed from Europe "because they sound cool" without understanding the reasons behind the name lol.

Utah Hockey Club would have a pretty good chant going for it, UHC. Almost sounds like "USA!" when you start going for it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, because "Golden Knights" and "Kraken" were so much better...
Yes, they were. A Kraken is a mythical sea creature and Seattle is a port city. Golden Knights could represent anywhere, but it's actually a definite mascot that has a plural and that you can build around, and they're not something that's exclusively identified with a completely different region and climate like the Yeti and Utah. The Knights aren't a great identity, but they've made it work with the gold part tying into Vegas flash. Kraken is a genuinely great name for a team in a major port city. Yeti could work great for a team in a legitimately arctic climate. If Anchorage somehow got a team, that name could fit very nicely for them. But Yetis are exclusively arctic creatures. Utah... is not arctic.

"Blizzard" is too close to Avalanche, who will almost certainly be their primary rival. Fury is just pure 1990s cringe. Venom too, but at least you'd have the scorpion theme to go with it. What's the branding with "Fury", exactly? Outlaws is on the same tier of creativity as "Tigers" or "Eagles" or "Warriors", so bland and uncreative that no self respecting startup middle school team would choose them.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Yes, they were. A Kraken is a mythical sea creature and Seattle is a port city. Golden Knights could represent anywhere, but it's actually a definite mascot that has a plural and that you can build around, and they're not something that's exclusively identified with a completely different region and climate like the Yeti and Utah. The Knights aren't a great identity, but they've made it work with the gold part tying into Vegas flash. Kraken is a genuinely great name for a team in a major port city. Yeti could work great for a team in a legitimately arctic climate. If Anchorage somehow got a team, that name could fit very nicely for them. But Yetis are exclusively arctic creatures. Utah... is not arctic.

"Blizzard" is too close to Avalanche, who will almost certainly be their primary rival. Fury is just pure 1990s cringe. Venom too, but at least you'd have the scorpion theme to go with it. What's the branding with "Fury", exactly? Outlaws is on the same tier of creativity as "Tigers" or "Eagles" or "Warriors", so bland and uncreative that no self respecting startup middle school team would choose them.
I mean in fairness, Yeti are supposed to live in the Himalayan Mountains and according to wikipedia, Tibetan lore says Yeti live 8-10k feet above sea level which is the base elevation of one of our main ski resorts....so it's not THAT weird

But also arguing over mythical creatures. Seattle is a port city, has an ocean creature. SLC is in the mountains...with a mountain creature. It's not that weird even if I don't like the name

Reactions: Mosby

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I mean in fairness, Yeti are supposed to live in the Himalayan Mountains and according to wikipedia, Tibetan lore says Yeti live 8-10k feet above sea level which is the base elevation of one of our main ski resorts....so it's not THAT weird

But also arguing over mythical creatures. Seattle is a port city, has an ocean creature. SLC is in the mountains...with a mountain creature. It's not that weird even if I don't like the name
Well maybe Utah Bigfeets, Yeti aren't even in NA!!

Honestly for the color scheme and getting away from the typical I would think some type of yellow/purple combo and something along the lines of wasps, stingers, bees, would be pretty cool if done right.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

Honestly for the color scheme and getting away from the typical I would think some type of yellow/purple combo and something along the lines of wasps, stingers, bees, would be pretty cool if done right.
This entire thing is dumb but Kraken are supposed to be off the coast of like Norway and Iceland, no where near Seattle. They aren't real, it doesn't matter ha

There aren't penguins in Pitt either but who cares

Reactions: Mosby

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai

Reject Bigfeets, accept Proudfeets.

6pm4kp.jpg

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah, because "Golden Knights" and "Kraken" were so much better... Utah's name will sound goofy at first and then become accepted over time.
Tons of people were pro Kraken and pushing for that. It wasn't a weak name.

Utah though is a top 4 state in terms of dinosaur fossils. They're the beehive state. Lack of suggestions in that range, but generic common ideas like viper and outlaw are weak.

I don't get the NBA fear of they have raptor. When blizzard and Yeti are closer on idea to the Avalance who used to have that side Bigfoot logo themselves.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State

Utah though is a top 4 state in terms of dinosaur fossils. They're the beehive state. Lack of suggestions in that range, but generic common ideas like viper and outlaw are weak.

I don't get the NBA fear of they have raptor. When blizzard and Yeti are closer on idea to the Avalance who used to have that side Bigfoot logo themselves.
Utah Buzz?

Could have some interesting marketing

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

There's Cardinals on like every profession league in the world. I think it would be ok.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Love that they’re leaning towards a purple and blue scheme. We need more purple in the league. If they can distinguish themselves enough from the Avalanche there’s a ton of potential.

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Viqsi

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
These are the 8 names that are trademarked right now

The trick is now to combine some of these names to get what the actual team name should be.

The Utah Ice Yetis
The Utah Mammoth Fury
The Utah Yeti Venom
The Utah Outlaw Hockey Club

• Haha
Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad