NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Phoenix is the 10th largest MSA but it is also the 4th fastest growing in the country. The NHL pulling out of this market is a huge mistake for hockey.

Utah is the 50th largest MSA.

At the end of the day, this may have been a win for Utah and certain NHL owners but this is a loss for hockey popularity in the US which is what *should* matter to the NHL. If the NHL wants to grow in an increasingly competitive sports market in the US, it needs to do more to expand popularity of the sport. Otherwise it will continue to lose popularity to football, basketball and soccer.

Just look at management of the MLS compared to the NHL. The MLS is actively looking to cut deals to expand into new locations and bring in big players. They are actually making decisions that benefit not just the league but also soccer in the US. The MLS is going to eat the NHLs lunch unless they start making smarter decisions. To be honest, I don't have much confidence the NHL will figure it out.
The NHL did everything they could to stay in the state for decades.

If there is truly a NHL sized appetite for hockey in Arizona then the state has 5 years to make it happen. If they can't, then it wasn't meant to be.
There are a lot of cities that would be salivating at the opportunity the NHL has given them.

Of course MLS is going to be more popular in the US than the NHL. Long term it is the NFL that needs to be concerned with the MLS, not the NHL or NBA.

5,999 of them being corporations and scalpers looking to sell them at inflated prices.
And you know that how?

Either way, the tickets are sold.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Sucks for Coyotes fans but ultimately something had to be done. Hopefully the franchise can build something better there.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Was there not a press conference? I get they have the offseason to hype it up but I guess I see nothing online, was working late and I don't have my TV on.

Hopefully an arena can get built without draining the taxpayers somewhere in Arizona and the Coyotes can make a comeback.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Was there not a press conference? I get they have the offseason to hype it up but I guess I see nothing online, was working late and I don't have my TV on.

Hopefully an arena can get built without draining the taxpayers somewhere in Arizona and the Coyotes can make a comeback.
I’m thinking a Press Conference will occur after the Regular Season ends and before the playoffs begin

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Here's hoping for a name that

1) is unique among major sports leagues
2) isn't the name of a particular animal
3) is a single word
4) has ties with the culture or symbols of the place
5) isn't a silly name marketed to kids
6) rolls well off the tongue

Utah Stingers?

Utah Aspen

Utah Black Bears

Utah Elk

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

If there is truly a NHL sized appetite for hockey in Arizona then the state has 5 years to make it happen. If they can't, then it wasn't meant to be.
There are a lot of cities that would be salivating at the opportunity the NHL has given them.

Of course MLS is going to be more popular in the US than the NHL. Long term it is the NFL that needs to be concerned with the MLS, not the NHL or NBA.

And you know that how?

Just common sense. Obviously I’m being hyperbolic about the numbers but the average family doesn’t have the kind of disposable capital to jump on an opportunity that fast. Deep pockets do.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Sucks for Coyotes fans, I feel for you. We lost the Grizzlies in Vancouver and I still wish we'd get another NBA team. It was time though, the league couldn't wait aother 5 years with them playing in that rink. Hopefully they get their act together, Pheonix is awesome, and being able to tie an NHL game into a trip was always fun.

Stoked for SLC though, such an awesome place with tons to do within an hour drive. Nice to see the league head into a true winter town again.
Living in Toronto, the NBA has never felt the same to me since the Grizzlies left Vancouver. Or the Expos leaving MLB, for that matter.

Sucks we don't even have 1 Canadian "rival" to play against. I know it's a small difference going from 2 teams to 1, but both leagues feel fully American to me.

I was much more invested when we had at least 2 Canadian teams.

The Utah Diggity Dogs?
Arena to be nicknamed "The Bun".

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
As a railroader who has worked in Utah, I think they should embrace the States long history of railroading. I mean the Golden Spike where the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific connected the East and West together is in Utah.
Utah Locomotive would be perfect.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Should have just let Bassillie move them to Hamilton when he wanted to. Although he's probably broke now thst blackberry is totally irrelevant

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
As a railroader who has worked in Utah, I think they should embrace the States long history of railroading. I mean the Golden Spike where the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific connected the East and West together is in Utah.
Utah Locomotive would be perfect.
Call them the Moguls and use the picture of the locomotive.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023

And you know that how?

Phoenix has plenty of appetite for hockey and is fertile ground for growth. It is the 10th largest MSA in the country and one of the fastest growing including a significant migration from colder climates where hockey is popular. That is also supported by a rapidly growing youth hockey presence here.

The problem is not AZ, the problem is terrible management at the NHL and ownership in AZ. This is just another example of NHL mismanagement. This is a league wide problem - NHL viewership is down and even in MN where i grew up hockey is declining in popularity.

Part of the problem is the misguided mindset that us the customer are responsible for the success of the NHL and hockey. We are the customer, the NHL and NHL owners are responsible for providing a good product and promoting the sport. Unfortunately NHL owners are predominantly old money and treat it as an old boys club and keep making boneheaded decisions. Look at owners in the NBA and the MLS to see how a good sports team is run.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm really unsure if Utah will have long-term success. I don't have a good feeling about having sustained fan support

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Just common sense. Obviously I’m being hyperbolic about the numbers but the average family doesn’t have the kind of disposable capital to jump on an opportunity that fast. Deep pockets do.
Well, corporations buying season tickets is best case scenario for a new franchise.
Corporate support is massively important in smaller markets.

When the Jets returned to Winnipeg they sold more season tickets than and more quickly. Those weren't bought up by businesses or scalpers either. Businesses weren't able to get ahold of tickets because they all went too quickly and that was a detriment to the team.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well, corporations buying season tickets is best case scenario for a new franchise.
Corporate support is massively important in smaller markets.

When the Jets returned to Winnipeg they sold more season tickets than and more quickly. Those weren't bought up by businesses or scalpers either. Businesses weren't able to get ahold of tickets because they all went too quickly and that was a detriment to the team.
Maybe. I’m just at the point of my life where I’m tired of corporate success at the expense of the regular human. Corporations buying season tickets might be great for billionaire owners but what about a mom or dad who just wants to take their kid to a hockey game?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Phoenix has plenty of appetite for hockey and is fertile ground for growth. It is the 10th largest MSA in the country and one of the fastest growing including a significant migration from colder climates where hockey is popular. That is also supported by a rapidly growing youth hockey presence here.

The problem is not AZ, the problem is terrible management at the NHL and ownership in AZ. This is just another example of NHL mismanagement. This is a league wide problem - NHL viewership is down and even in MN where i grew up hockey is declining in popularity.

Part of the problem is the misguided mindset that us the customer are responsible for the success of the NHL and hockey. We are the customer, the NHL and NHL owners are responsible for providing a good product and promoting the sport. Unfortunately NHL owners are predominantly old money and treat it as an old boys club and keep making boneheaded decisions. Look at owners in the NBA and the MLS to see how a good sports team is run.

It always comes down to ownership.

Charles Wang tried and failed to get a deal done for almost 15 years. Ledecky/Malkin got a deal done in like 6 months.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It always comes down to ownership.

Charles Wang tried and failed to get a deal done for almost 15 years. Ledecky/Malkin got a deal done in like 6 months.
Wang was with Nassau county wasn’t it. Different county/city for where UBS arena is at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad