NHL Banking on Ovechkin As Next Big Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
''Ilya cant play defence'' :joker:

I kind of laughed at that part . Ilya must me mad !!! lol .... Alex O. seems to think to high of him self , but he will be a star .

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
To be honest with you, I knew he was an outstanding player, but I had know idea he was such a hockey man, per se (attending the finals, going to Toronto). That makes me like him even more.

However, I NEVER care to hear another comparison to Kovalchuk or Nash... anyone who buys them is looking at the surface of the entire sport, and has only watched about 5 games a season... He may be more defensively sound than Kovalchuk, may be a better player all-around. BUT, he does not possess the otherworldly offensive skill that Kovalchuk does.

Go back to 1995. Players were not as fast as they are now, goalies were not as inpenetrable, guys like Gretky and Jagr could be putting up 120-130 points a season.
If you had Kovalchuk then, he could be achieving the same (maybe 60 goals, 50 assists). If you had Ovechkin then, he'd probably be hitting 30G, 60A... 90 points.
HOWEVER, Kovalchuk would be an outstanding offensive player for a team who would fall in the quarterfinals, while Ovechkin would be on a time in the finals, largely in thanks to his magnificent all-around play.

Bure9*

BobMarleyNYR said:
To be honest with you, I knew he was an outstanding player, but I had know idea he was such a hockey man, per se (attending the finals, going to Toronto). That makes me like him even more.

However, I NEVER care to hear another comparison to Kovalchuk or Nash... anyone who buys them is looking at the surface of the entire sport, and has only watched about 5 games a season... He may be more defensively sound than Kovalchuk, may be a better player all-around. BUT, he does not possess the otherworldly offensive skill that Kovalchuk does.

Go back to 1995. Players were not as fast as they are now, goalies were not as inpenetrable, guys like Gretky and Jagr could be putting up 120-130 points a season.
If you had Kovalchuk then, he could be achieving the same (maybe 60 goals, 50 assists). If you had Ovechkin then, he'd probably be hitting 30G, 60A... 90 points.
HOWEVER, Kovalchuk would be an outstanding offensive player for a team who would fall in the quarterfinals, while Ovechkin would be on a time in the finals, largely in thanks to his magnificent all-around play.

I guess I am in the minority by thinking that Kovalchuk is the type of player that will do whatever it takes to win a playoff game or playoff series. From the quotes I've read he seems like he has a great desire to win and be the best. Hartley, IMO, has already started to mold him into a two-way player. I didn't see him lurking around the redline when I saw him play.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Bure9 said:
I guess I am in the minority by thinking that Kovalchuk is the type of player that will do whatever it takes to win a playoff game or playoff series. From the quotes I've read he seems like he has a great desire to win and be the best. Hartley, IMO, has already started to mold him into a two-way player. I didn't see him lurking around the redline when I saw him play.

Kovalchuk is excellent. But I'm sure you understand Ovechkin's game is just more rounded out and balanced.

I'd say Ovechkin is a closer to Joe Thornton... a power forward... while Kovalchuk is a sniper/playmaker who is still developing some of his other ability. Ultimately, Kovalchuk could very well be the better of the two.

They're VERY different players, wouldn't you say?

bigbabebertuzzi

May 25, 2004
Victoria B.C.
It was funny at the annual prospect thing with Don Cherry when he asked who their favorite players were
Don Cherry-Turns to Ovechin
Ovechkin- I forget who he said
Don - your just dont want to say Tie Domi (something like that)

And afterwards Cherry talkede to Ron about how nice Ovechkin was!!
Thats crazy i wonder if Don realized he isnt Canadian! lol

GoRyanMalone

BobMarleyNYR said:
Kovalchuk is excellent. But I'm sure you understand Ovechkin's game is just more rounded out and balanced.

I'd say Ovechkin is a closer to Joe Thornton... a power forward... while Kovalchuk is a sniper/playmaker who is still developing some of his other ability. Ultimately, Kovalchuk could very well be the better of the two.

They're VERY different players, wouldn't you say?

I see him as a Jonas Hoglund/Micheal Renberg/Darcy Tucker type.

I see him as Brian Rolston on elephant steroids.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
bigbabebertuzzi said:
It was funny at the annual prospect thing with Don Cherry when he asked who their favorite players were
Don Cherry-Turns to Ovechin
Ovechkin- I forget who he said
Don - your just dont want to say Tie Domi (something like that)

And afterwards Cherry talkede to Ron about how nice Ovechkin was!!
Thats crazy i wonder if Don realized he isnt Canadian! lol
What?!?!?! English, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: