NHL Backup Goaltenders, (nearly all) 1963 to present (and a call for help)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Bob Sauve in Sabres in turn of the year 2 games in 75-76. I would make a educated guess that the earlier one game gap (11/3) was Sauve too. I have in my notes that he spent parts of the season with Sabres due to Croziers health issues.

Buffalo News 30. December 30. 1975
Bob Sauve called up from Charlotte of the Southern League will remain with the club until Crozier is ready to play again

The Buffalo New 3. January 1976
Goalie Gary Bromley was recalled from Providence of the American League and will serve as Gerry Desjardins´backup in tomorrow´s game. With Roger Crozier bothered by stomach trouble again, Bromley probably will see game action in the near future.

Rookie Bob Sauve, called up from Charlotte of the Southern League while Crozier was in the hospital, was sent to Providence on loan.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Also Jim Craig did dress for North Stars in 83 playoffs. Probably both of the missing games.

The Bismarck Tribune April 18. 1983
Jim Craig, the 1980 Olympic hockey hero, was dressed for the North Stars Sunday night as the backup to Gilles Meloche.

"It felt really good to put on an NHL uniform again," said Craig. "It felt great. It makes you feel you're a part of the team."

There seem to be missing backup in 84 playoffs for Minnesota too. That seems bit more tricky to find. At the start Beaupre was injured and Meloche played with Crha as backup. Then when Beaupre was ready to play Meloche could not play. Logical backup would be Crha, but one article mentions that they have Crha and Casey available. So could not identify it.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One more for today. Quite interesting and I am not sure if we have talked about this before? But I guess technically no official backup for Montreal in this game?

Montreal Gazette 31. March 1980
Herron was hit on the knee by a blazing shot off the stick of Brian Engblom in the pre-game warm-up. He writhed in pain on the ice and had to be helped off on a stretcher...

Larocque was also in agony for a while in the third period when he was hit on the right elbow by a blast from Richie Dunn. Had Larocque not been able to continue coach Claude Ruel would have had to use one of his other players in the game as he had scratched Herron from his lineup sheet. "It was either going to be Roddy (Langway) or me," said Mark Napier, who often "plays" goaltender after team workouts, but the NHL was saved his debut when Larocque decided he could continue.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This one I did not know before. Just used your site and archives to dig something out. It would seem that Irons was Blues backup for two games when Glenn Hall was out. This need bit of checking though.

And sorry about the small quotes. I don´t have newspapers subscribtion at the moment so just using memory and the search engine to find small snippets for leads and proofs.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch November 10. 1970
The Blues recalled goalie Robbie Irons from their Kansas City farm club in the Central Hockey League. He will be backup man for Ernie Wakely in a move in to give 39-year old goalie Glenn Hall a rest of several days, according to a club spokesman. Irons was in the St. Louis lineup in several training games this year and played briefly in the regular National Hockey League for the Blues in 1968-69

The Kansas City Star November 21. 1970
Robbie Irons who now is in St Louis ranks

St. Louis Post-Dispatch November 25. 1970
Veteran goalie Glenn Hall, who returned to his home in Edmonton, the weekend to be. with' his wife after she underwent surgery, is expected to be back in uniform for the contest

Good call on this one. Super weird that the recall was noted in the Post-Dispatch of November 10 given that it appears that Hall didn't actually take the rest until November 24 and November 26 (my first guess was a typo and the mention occurred on the 20th, but I see the mention on the 10th - and it was picked up elsewhere).

I do think Irons was returned to Kansas City (and then re-recalled) because he's mentioned as in the Kansas City lineup on November 18 (backing up "Ed" Ouimet).

I see the November 21 and November 25 references. Michel Plasse played in Kansas City (with Ouimet).

The Post-Dispatch article on the 25th does expect Hall back in for the Toronto game on the 26th, but the NHL site has that gap.

Funny story from that game (a 1-0 Wakely shutout over former Blue Jacques Plante):

1694920998870.png

No mention of Hall or Irons, however. Wally Cross mentions Hall on the 30th but doesn't specify exactly when he returned.

1694921129210.png

I'm going to credit Irons as the backup on the 24th and 26th, marking it with a heavy pencil in my notes field.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And this one I have checked before and confident that the backup was Darrell May for Blues for while in 86-87. *Injury my adition

St. Louis Post-Dispatch Februaru 9. 1987
Goaltender Rick Wamsley was sent home Sunday with a... (*lower body injury)

That meant Darrell May got to be a Blue for the day he was shipped in from the Peoria Rivermen of the International Hockey League to serve as Millen's backup

St. Louis Post-Dispatch February 14. 1987
Goalie Rick Wamsley and defenseman Bruce Bell will miss both games this weekend because of ailments.

Both will be re-evaluated Monday. Goalie Darrell May, up on loan from Peoria, will be the backup to Greg Millen.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch February 21. 1987
Goaltender Darrell May was sent back to Peoria in the International Hockey League, with Rick Wamsley back in playing shape.

I agree that this fits the missing piece!

Wamsley's "lower body injury" sounds interesting (looks like you self censored since I otherwise match your quote on the 9th). "May left home at 4:45am and arrived here at 4:45pm. "It makes for a very long day," he said."

From the Post-Dispatch of February 11:

1694921544539.png

I match your language on the 14th.

Wamsley's injury is still listed as the abcess in the Blues' injury report of February 17.

From the Post-Dispatch of the 19th:

1694921601782.png

I match your langauge on the 21st (and a bonus "May probably will be sent back to Peoria...today" on the 20th).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I remember that I wasn´t 100% sure about this, but can´t really remember the reason and cant make further research on it now. That game has no backup so it would make sense. Whalers one game for 1985-1986 season.

Montreal Gazette February 18. 1986
To replace another injured player, the team recalled goalie Peter Sidorkiewicz. He will fill in for Mike Liut, out with muscle spasms in his neck.

Definitely heavily implied that Sidorkiewicz backed up on the 18th. Full Courant article on February 18:

Hartford_Courant_Tue__Feb_18__1986_.jpg

And on the back end, from the Courant on February 20:

Hartford_Courant_Thu__Feb_20__1986_.jpg

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I´m fairly sure we have new backup only goalie. I remember years ago checking this one. Jim Bedard was one of my favourites in childhood when he was in Finland.

I sort of assumed that Bedard was the only backup for Ron Low in 76-77 when Wolfe was out. But it seems that there were two different stints there.

Wolfe got flue and Capitals recalled Bedard.

The Buffalo News October 30 1976
Bernie Wolfe has the flu and was replaced by Jim Bedard of the Internation al League's Dayton team during their three game road trip

But now I took a closer look when noticed that Wolfe was out for few weeks and Bedard was already back in Dayton for the game in 7. of November. And it does seem that at Dale Rideout took his place as Capitals backup.

The Journal Herald November 5. 1976
The Gems will be without goaltender Jim Bedard for at least tonight's game.

Dayton Daily News November 7. 1976
The Gems will be without goalie Dale Rideout who will be sent to Washington for a few days to act as a backup

The Province November 9. 1976
Meanwhile, the Capitals, fresh from a 4-1 win Sunday over Minnesota, have recalled goaltender Dale Rideout from Dayton of the Internationa League.

Rideout replaces backup Bernie Wolfe, who has suffered inflammation of nerve endings in his back.

This is very interesting - I'll start with one of my favorite photos of Dale Rideout:

dale_rideout_caps.jpg

October 27 - we know that Bedard is in Dayton for this game (Dayton Daily News 10/28/76).

Montreal Gazette, October 30, 1976:

The_Gazette_Sat__Oct_30__1976_.jpg

This was also reported in the wire reports on October 30, so presumably the recall occurred on October 29 in time for the Colorado game.

Strongly implied that Bedard backed up October 31, with this report in the Dayton Daily News 11/1:

1695005843743.png

And if it's wasn't Bedard on October 31, it also wasn't Rideout (who played for Dayton per the Journal Herald 11/1).

November 3 Dayton Daily News:

1695005910495.png

Dayton Daily News implies that it was still Bedard in Washington for November 3:

1695006095872.png

November 5 Dayton Journal Herald:

The_Journal_Herald_Fri__Nov_5__1976_.jpg

So prospectively, Bedard backs up November 5 and would be expected back for Dayton's November 6 game.

Bedard played for Dayton on November 6 (Dayton Daily News 11/7/76) and November 7 (Dayton Journal Herald 11/8/76) so could not have backed up in Washington.

Meanwhile, Rideout was called up to Washington per the Dayton Daily News 11/7/76 (I match your quote above).

And a retrospective mention of Rideout in the November 7 game from the Daily News 11/8:

1695006201584.png

Potomac News November 10 (but likely written just before the Vancouver game on November 9, given how the article's tense is):

1695006345706.png

Bedard is in Dayton on November 10 (Dayton Journal Herald 11/11/76).

So here are the games Wolfe missed (this will finish my post here but I'm creating the list first so that I can fill it in as I go):
October 29 at Colorado - Bedard backup.
October 31 vs. Chicago - Bedard backup.
November 3 at Atlanta - Bedard backup.
November 5 vs. Buffalo - Bedard backup.
November 7 vs Minnesota - Rideout backup.
November 9 vs Vancouver - Rideout backup.
November 10 at NY Rangers - Rideout backup.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This is very interesting - I'll start with one of my favorite photos of Dale Rideout:

View attachment 743899

October 27 - we know that Bedard is in Dayton for this game (Dayton Daily News 10/28/76).

Montreal Gazette, October 30, 1976:

View attachment 743901

This was also reported in the wire reports on October 30, so presumably the recall occurred on October 29 in time for the Colorado game.

Strongly implied that Bedard backed up October 31, with this report in the Dayton Daily News 11/1:

View attachment 743905

And if it's wasn't Bedard on October 31, it also wasn't Rideout (who played for Dayton per the Journal Herald 11/1).

November 3 Dayton Daily News:

View attachment 743906

Dayton Daily News implies that it was still Bedard in Washington for November 3:

View attachment 743908

November 5 Dayton Journal Herald:

View attachment 743902

So prospectively, Bedard backs up November 5 and would be expected back for Dayton's November 6 game.

Bedard played for Dayton on November 6 (Dayton Daily News 11/7/76) and November 7 (Dayton Journal Herald 11/8/76) so could not have backed up in Washington.

Meanwhile, Rideout was called up to Washington per the Dayton Daily News 11/7/76 (I match your quote above).

And a retrospective mention of Rideout in the November 7 game from the Daily News 11/8:

View attachment 743909

Potomac News November 10 (but likely written just before the Vancouver game on November 9, given how the article's tense is):

View attachment 743910

Bedard is in Dayton on November 10 (Dayton Journal Herald 11/11/76).

So here are the games Wolfe missed (this will finish my post here but I'm creating the list first so that I can fill it in as I go):
October 29 at Colorado - Bedard backup.
October 31 vs. Chicago - Bedard backup.
November 3 at Atlanta - Bedard backup.
November 5 vs. Buffalo - Bedard backup.
November 7 vs Minnesota - Rideout backup.
November 9 vs Vancouver - Rideout backup.
November 10 at NY Rangers - Rideout backup.
Yeah found that picture too when googling. Had not seen it before. From preseason game apparently. When talking old masks I love how simple it can be, but still blend in to the whole uniform and make it look cool. I may in minority, but I´m not fan of the todays too detailed masks. Works of art sure, but you can´t appreciate that from TV or watching from the stands.

And yes there was bit selfcensoring.

Reactions: Doctor No

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I forgot to add this. This is from old notes so sadly it does not have the exact dates of the quotes. But I´m fairly sure I won´t lead you in wild goose chase when saying Riendeau probably was the backup on missing games on Canadiens 86-87 season.

1.12. 1987 Canadiens
Monreal Gazette
Finally, 20-year-old Vincent Riendeau was called up from Sherbrooke to backup Hayward for the game.

24.3. 1987 Canadiens
Montreal Gazette
Hayward wasn't due to face the Nordiques tonight, but an abscessed and infected tooth has sidelined Patrick Roy for a few days, so he's unavailable for duty. As a result, the Canadiens have recalled Vincent Riendeau from the Sherbrooke Canadiens

30.3. 1987 Canadiens
Montreal Gazette
Canadiens management had considered starting Vincent Riendeau, a youngster who has been sitting in for Roy for the last few games.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Another bit boring one. Remembered checking this one. Ron Scott in Rangers in 84-85. One game dressed.

Record December 13 1984
Ron Scott was recalled from New Haven to dress as backup for Hanlon. Vanbiesbrouck is expected back for the weekend.

I will catch up here one of these days, despite way too many work trips. :D

Asbury Park Press (12/13/84) says that Vanbiesbrouck pulled his left hamstring in practice on December 11, and confirms that Scott (himself just coming back from a pulled groin muscle) was called up from New Haven.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And then a nice one which belongs to the that goalie dressed for that team group. Peter Sidorkiewicz very likely dressed for one game for Capitals.

The Evening Sun January 28. 1984
After the contest Washington announced that Peter Sidorkeiwicz had been recalled from Oshawa of the Ontario Hockey Association to serve as a backup for Riggin tonight as Jensen continues to rest Dave Parro was sent back to Hershey.

Nice grab! From the Sault Star (February 1, 1984), there's actually a side story - Sidorkiewicz played earlier that day (in the same building) for Oshawa:

The_Sault_Star_Wed__Feb_1__1984_.jpg

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Another to the same category. Rick St. Croix with Capitals in 85-86. Riggin had been traded for Peeters, but it took Peeters some days to arrive Washington. Bob Mason was with Binghamton and Alain Raymond with national team. So it had to be St. Croix. Nice that there are still these to discover.

The Baltimore Sun November 16. 1985
Goalie Pete Peeters. acquired Thursday from the Boston Bruins in exchange for goalie Pat Rlggin is to join the Capitals for practice tomorrow.

To back up Jensen in the meantime, the Capitals recalled Rick St. Croix from from the Fort Wayne Komets of the International Hockey League.

Looks like St. Croix was with Toronto during training camp (there's a photo of him facing Glenn Anderson in a September 22, 1985 exhibition) but was then signed by the Capitals on September 30 (I wonder if St. Croix was a training camp invitee because I can't find explicit mention of a release).

Anyhow, here's corroboration for St. Croix in net November 16 (Portland Evening Express, November 18, 1985):

Evening_Express_Mon__Nov_18__1985_.jpg

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Alright, here comes the fun and the (mostly) culmination of a hell of a lot of work. As many of you know, one of my goals the past two decades has been cataloging every backup appearance in the NHL. This has been a wild goose chase for the most part, even though the NHL does have this information on media.nhl.com (for which I cannot get access as I do not work for a publication). Games from 1999-2000 to the present are (nearly all) available on the NHL's fan-facing site (if you know how to find the right game sheet data). For games prior to that, the closest we've come is the Penguins' handwritten box summaries that were published as a weird but welcome one-off a few years ago.

Anyhow, thanks to a mysterious benefactor (who I won't name here in case they don't want to be known, but I encourage them to speak up because they're awesome, and you all probably know who it is anyhow), I was able to gain access to the media site's data here. And I've parsed it into my dataset - harder than it sounds - back to 1963:

Click on year, click on a team, see the list - similar format to what I've always published but with fleshed out backups. Similar to this:

View attachment 736844

Some notes that are important:

The dataset that I've been using is nearly complete but not entirely complete. For one, a few teams seem to have not published backup goaltender data. For instance, you'll notice that 1987-88 Edmonton Oiler home games appear to be missing data:

For two (and more interesting), back beyond a certain point the league only seems to have published a goaltender's backup information if they were also in the dataset for that year as someone that appeared on the ice. For instance, Michel Larocque and Ken Dryden appear in the dataset above, but not Dave Elenbaas (more on that next). Or Ed Johnston appears for the 1977-78 Blackhawks, but Randy Ireland does not:

This presents a problem and an opportunity - there are clear gaps in the data, but it's also kind of easy now to see where to look. For instance, I was able to track down Randy Ireland in this example because otherwise I had four games without a Chicago backup, and I knew it wasn't Mike Veisor (season ending injury but also his backup data ends on January 14) or Ed Johnston (backup data begins January 26 when acquired). So I knew where to look.

With that as help, I incorporated what I could from the various threads on HFBoards (primarily the "Backup Goaltenders" thread and the "That Goalie Played for That Team?" thread). I have not cross-checked against @Benchwarmers' site (but need to) and my guess is that it will uncover some more that I've missed.

The data I received actually goes back to 1917-18, but I stopped (here) at 1963 because prior to that, it gets weird - you know why. But moreover, I want to hand-inspect any of the data there before entering them into the dataset.

In nearly all cases (one exception so far) I trusted the NHL's source data over anything I could find first-hand in contemporary media. For instance, I have this article from the New York Daily News of January 29, 1970:

View attachment 736845

Oh, that's interesting - Bruce Landon dressed for the Kings on January 29, 1970! But the NHL site says that Desjardins actually backed up Rutledge. Note that the Daily News article speaks prospectively about the events ("taking his place was to be..."). So I'm willing to believe that Desjardins sucked it up and dressed that night after all. Yes, I'm keeping receipts and notes - a lot of them will be here in this thread.

Here's the asterisk from above - start of the Canadiens' 1975-76 season:

View attachment 736846

All of the reports from the media here insist that Bunny broke his damn ankle at home before the start of the season (including a media report on October 9) and that Ed Walsh backed up. But the official NHL data says that Larocque backed up Dryden on October 9 (but not October 8, October 11, or any other game until October). That's suspicious to me and likely to you, so I overwrote it and "gave it" to Walsh.

Anyhow, this is a solicitation for anyone who's sufficiently bored to help fill in these gaps - they're relatively easy to spot in how I publish them. If you can find documentation, please post it here. If you have theories that I can run down, please post them here.

This gives something still to do which is nice (although I'd like to finish up the entire catalog back to 1917-18) but this also gives an entry point to finding injuries that have heretofore been unpublished (if a goaltender can't dress, then he was either injured or sent down).

Thanks, enjoy, and happy hunting! Questions, comments, complaints below, please.

If you don't want to read all of that and just want the data, here's the link:

I'll be using the errata thread for random shit that I uncover (like Chico Resch in a towel).
Just looking at this page:

You have Vachon as the goalie during the final series with St. Louis, but wasn't it Worsley playing?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Just looking at this page:

You have Vachon as the goalie during the final series with St. Louis, but wasn't it Worsley playing?

Gump dislocated his finger in Game Three against Boston, and Vachon went the rest of the way with Esposito backing up.

1695849447322.png

For instance, here's the official box of Game Four against the Blues:

1695849519448.png

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Gump dislocated his finger in Game Three against Boston, and Vachon went the rest of the way with Esposito backing up.

View attachment 746718

For instance, here's the official box of Game Four against the Blues:

View attachment 746719

Whoops. I was looking at 1968.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
It gets annoying that there were Canadiens-Blues sweeps in consecutive years - hard to keep everything straight.

I do like this Rogie shot from Game One against St. Louis, though.

1695850755801.png

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Yet again one for the same category. Jim Corsi seemed to be Gilles Meloches backup in Montreal series in 1980 playoffs. Gary Edwards suffered bruised knee.

Edmonton Journal 16. April 1980
Goalie Gary Edwards (bruised knee) may be replaced as back-up tonight by ex-Oiler Jim Corsi

Edmonton Journal April 25. 1980
Montreal scored early and the place instantly became a morgue, as advertised. "'It´s too bad some of the fans gave up on us," said Stars' backup netminder Jim Corsi, who is on Ioan' to Minnesota from the Edmonton Oilers

A little bit more on Corsi...

Minneapolis Star, April 17, 1980:

1696090578762.png

I see the April 25 Edmonton Journal mention as well, which does suggest that he completely fills that gap between April 16 and April 24.

This May 8, 1980 mention (also Edmonton Journal) doesn't say which games but it's interesting that the Oilers had an option to get Corsi back.

1696090751842.png

And here's a photo (Calgary Herald, April 28, 1980) of Gilles Meloche (who just upset the four-time defending Cup champion Canadiens) and his mom:

1696090929586.png

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Noticed a two game weird gap in Nordiques 82-83 season. It would seem that it was Mario Gosselin who backed up Garrett Though bit more information is probably needed. Bouchard was still recovering and they replaced Malarchuk with Gosselin. Malarchuk wasn´t happy.

North Bay Nuggett December 10. 1982
"They brought in a junior to raplace me. They called Mario Gosselin up and there were four goalies at practice. It was embarrassing"

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette December 11. 1982
Bouchard injured a finger on Nov. 8. He was in uniform for the time since then when the Nordiques lost to the Flyers in Philadelphia Thursday night, but he did not play

This is super interesting - here's the full North Bat Nugget article (much on Malarchuk, of course):

The_Nugget_Fri__Dec_10__1982_.jpg

The games "missing" are December 4, 1982 (vs. Buffalo) and December 7 (vs. Boston) - the Post-Gazette quote above matches the NHL source that Bouchard returned December 9 as a backup.

I'm going to mark both games as Gosselin because the Malarchuk quote is pretty specific - the open question is whether it was just one game (and which) or both. I don't think it can be Malarchuk because otherwise the league would source him, and I don't think it'd be anyone else.

Fredericton was the Nordiques' top minor league affiliate in 1982-83:

Shared with the Canucks that year (it appears), and Brian Ford would be the only other reasonable option. Here's Brian Ford in action against some Binghamton Cooper-alls (Press and Sun-Bulletin, 11/26/1982):

Press_and_Sun_Bulletin_Fri__Nov_26__1982_.jpg

Ford couldn't have been the December 7 backup - he's mentioned as playing for Fredericton on the Biddeford (ME) Journal-Tribune of December 8. And I don't have proof that Ford played in Fredericton on December 4, but the Glens Falls (NY) Post-Star of December 4 says that he "may get the start" and that the other goaltender is Frank Caprice.

Gosselin, of course, had to eventually get to Finland to play for the Canadian WJC team (this is from the December 22 Ottawa Citizen):

1696091801495.png

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Three game gap in 1986-1987 for Nordiques very likely was backed up by Mario Brunetta. Another junior callup.

Hartford Courant December 4. 1986
Because goalie Mario Gosselin had the flu, the Nordiques recalled Mario Brunetta from Laval, Quebec, juniors as a backup.

Montreal Gazette December 8 1986
Mario Brunetta, who had replaced Eric Vachon at the start of the period. It was Brunetta's first game since serving as backup for the National Hockey League's Quebec Nordiques for three games.

I match your two sources (the Gazette article was December 9).

Here's a parallel bit on Brunetta from the Gazette December 4:

1696093527488.png

And here's a different Gazette piece on Brunetta (also mentioning the three-game road trip). The tone of the article (I cut off the end that wasn't on Brunetta) seems very early 1980s QMJHL.

1696093678237.png

(Minor quibble - the Nordiques' road trip was only two games - the December 6 game was home against Calgary.)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Detroit Free Press 2. March 1983
Croix has suffered a hairline fracture of a bone in his hand. He will serve as backup to Mike Palmateer until it heals

Sure they could have made a callup, but I haven´t found any indicatoin of that during that period.

Toronto Star, also March 2 1983:

1696107774095.png

Oh, but look at this! Toronto Star, March 3, 1983:

1696107873604.png

Hello, Bruce Dowie! This gets me confidently through the game of March 8, 1983:

Toronto Star, March 8:

1696108015144.png

Toronto Star, March 10:

1696108110740.png

Toronto Star, March 12:

1696108059609.png

The March 9 game is possibly not Dowie but I'm comfortable making this call.

• Love
Reactions: Sanf

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Of course, there's this: Binghamton Press and Sun-Bulletin (March 3, 1983):

1696108420665.png

Parent was (at minimum) in the AHL on March 9 according to the Baltimore Evening Sun (March 10).

And it appears (Toronto Star, February 24, 1983) that Parent was in the AHL on an emergency basis:

The_Toronto_Star_Thu__Feb_24__1983_.jpg

Last but not least, Dowie signed as a free agent in May of 1983 per Total Hockey, which doesn't really tie into any of this. I can't tie this fully together, but the Toronto Star of October 28, 1982 (Thursday) says that Dowie intends to sign with the Maple Leafs by Saturday, and the November 7 edition says that he "signed last week".

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Something I'm farting around on - trying to figure out how long it will be before an active goaltender breaks into the top ten.

Noting that this list is not 100% complete (but probably 99.8% or so) - these are greatest number of career NHL games backed up (regular season and playoffs combined):

683 - Craig Billington
679 - Glenn Healy
676 - Curtis McElhinney
669 - Billy Smith
640 - Thomas Greiss
568 - Martin Biron
566 - Chris Terreri
561 - Ron Tugnutt
552 - Ken Wregget
545 - Jaroslav Halak

And these are the top five active goaltenders:
444 - James Reimer
416 - Marc-Andre Fleury
399 - Semyon Varlamov
393 - Antti Raanta (mostly active)
371 - Philipp Grubauer

So Reimer needs 100 backup games just to get on the list. Can he do it?

(I also deserve a medal for finding this thread while the search function lays on the beach relaxing.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad