Masterton: Oskar Lindblom

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Deserves:

Hart: McDavid
Selke: Erikson Ek
Norris: Toss up between Makar and Fox, Makar can edge ahead with a good final two games
Calder: Kaprizov
Vezina: Vasi
Adams: Brind'Amour
Masterton: Lindbolm

Actually wins:

Selke: Barkov
Norris: Hedman
Adams: Quenneville
Masterton: Lindbolm

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hart: McDemon
Selke: Barkov
Norris: Hedman unless Makar takes the point lead
Adam’s: Quenville
Mastertom: If it’s anyone but Lindblom
I’d be shocked.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hart: Connor McDavid
Selke: Mark Stone
Norris: Cale Makar
Calder: Kirill Kaprizov
Vezina: Philipp Grubauer
Adams: Jared Bednar

I think this is Bednar's year for the Adams, especially with all the injuries the squad has had to fight through. Being able to hold the team together through that is a remarkable accomplishment, not only keeping them afloat but dominating for most of the season. Quennville probably wins just because of expectations for that team, but it should be Bednar.

Makar likely won't win, but that's OK, because just imagine how much more he's going to be able to ask for if he wins the Norris in a contract year. He's got plenty of time for hardware in the future. He hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nominees: Matthews, Marchand

It’ll be McDavid in a landslide. I’ll be interested to see who the two other nominees will be. I think Matthews is pretty much a lock with his 40+ goals. Marchand had an amazing season and I think he’ll be the other one getting votes.

Selke: Bergeron
Nominees: O’Reilly, Barkov

Norris: Makar
Nominees: Fox, Hedman

If Makar finishes at a point per game, or above I think he’ll win it. That’s just a much higher pace than anyone else this season. Combine that with his strong all around play, he’s the guy. The missed games won’t hurt him as much this year imo, because Hedman missed a couple games himself and Fox didn’t make the playoffs. Letang, Theadore, and Hamilton could sneak into the top-3, but it should be Makar, Fox, and Hedman.

Nominees: Robertson, Shesterkin

Vezina: Fleury
Nominees: Vasilevskiy, Saros

This is the hardest award for me. There’s several guys worthy of winning it, but Fleury wins it.

Adams: Quenneville
Nominees: Brind’Amour, Keefe

With how the Panthers have played since the Ekblad injury, I think Q has it locked up.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hart: No one
Selke: No one
Norris: No one
Calder: No one
Vezina: No one
Adams: No one
Masterton: No one

Its not really appropriate to have these.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hedman has been kinda crap by his standards for while now, still expecting him to win it. Reputation plays a massive role in the Norris and Selke voting.

No way is Bednar getting anything. The Adams is more or less an award for the coach who's team surprised the most. For a coach with a great roster the team needs to crush the rest of the league to have a chance.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Last night, Grubauer might have made the Vezina race a lot closer. Won his 30th game (only him and Vasi hit that mark). Vasi beats out Grubauer on sv % .925 vs .922, but Grubauer beat him on GAA 1.95 vs 2.21. Grubauer lead the league in shutouts with 7 (tied with Varly). Vasi has the advanced stats all on his side. Varly and Flower are right in this group too. Vasi being a finalist the past 3 seasons might work against him with some fatigue of him always up there.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
IMO the only guys on the team with any sit at some hardware are:

Makar (Norris) long shot IMO, missed too many games, had he not, this would be a runaway for him. He is the best in the league it's really not that close either. He is crazy dominant.

Grubauer (Vezina) long shot as well. Won't get the votes because he isn't the big name. But his stats are arguably best in the league. Very deserving, but won't win based on the Eastern bias, popularity vote.

Bednar (Adams), I know based on expectations we performed where we were expected. But the kicker for me is look at number of injuries, again. It's astronomical how many we lost in a short season. Not too mention 2 covid disruptions. If win tonight and finish 1st in the league with all that, I'd say he deserves it. No one did more with a constantly rotating lineup.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Okay, folks. Let's see who you feel deserves the regular season hardware. I'll go first.

Hart: Connor McDavid
Selke: Mark Stone
Norris: Cale Makar
Calder: Kirill Kaprizov
Vezina: Andrei Vasilevskiy
Adams: Joel Quenneville

Agree but replace Makar with Fox because of the # of games missed and Eastern bias.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm happy for Grubauer, but if I'm looking at this objectively, I don't think he's had a Vezina caliber season. He deserves to be a finalist but I don't think he's had to stand on his head enough to win. The Avs are just too good.

Not that Brodeur didn't deserve to win his Vezinas but Grubie is benefiting from the same thing he did, with the team making his job a lot easier. Especially later in Brodeur's career when he was padding his wins.

The Avs lead the league in both the fewest shots against and the fewest 5v5 high danger chances against.

He definitely deserves credit for making the saves he needs and closing out games with wins though. He's also made some big timely saves this year, but not quite enough to win the Vezina IMO.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think Grubi has been this year pretty close to what he was last year. Last year he was a top 10 goalie, this year he's top 5. The big difference is the team's commitment to playing defence. We no longer have any lines that get routinely caved in by the other team. I love the way Grubi has played, but I agree he doesn't deserve the Vezina.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Grubauer doesn't deserve to be nominated for a Vezina. Sure his numbers are great, but the Avs were a dominant defensive team this year. There were not many night where goaltending got the Avs the win as they usually just outplayed the opposition.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
IMO the only guys on the team with any sit at some hardware are:

Makar (Norris) long shot IMO, missed too many games, had he not, this would be a runaway for him. He is the best in the league it's really not that close either. He is crazy dominant.

Grubauer (Vezina) long shot as well. Won't get the votes because he isn't the big name. But his stats are arguably best in the league. Very deserving, but won't win based on the Eastern bias, popularity vote.

Bednar (Adams), I know based on expectations we performed where we were expected. But the kicker for me is look at number of injuries, again. It's astronomical how many we lost in a short season. Not too mention 2 covid disruptions. If win tonight and finish 1st in the league with all that, I'd say he deserves it. No one did more with a constantly rotating lineup.
Bednar deserves it for his whole body of work the last 4 years. But that award tends to go to the coach who's team surprised most, unless it's a ridiculous season like Tampa 2 years ago.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Last night, Grubauer might have made the Vezina race a lot closer. Won his 30th game (only him and Vasi hit that mark). Vasi beats out Grubauer on sv % .925 vs .922, but Grubauer beat him on GAA 1.95 vs 2.21. Grubauer lead the league in shutouts with 7 (tied with Varly). Vasi has the advanced stats all on his side. Varly and Flower are right in this group too. Vasi being a finalist the past 3 seasons might work against him with some fatigue of him always up there.

I think Grubi will end up just outside the finalists because his save percentage is a touch lower than Vasi, Fleury, and Saros. Mike Smith would be a dark horse too, considering he plays in front of a worse defence.

Great season for Grubauer, but I don’t think a .922 will be quite good enough.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Grubi will end up just outside the finalists because his save percentage is a touch lower than Vasi, Fleury, and Saros. Mike Smith would be a dark horse too, considering he plays in front of a worse defence.

Great season for Grubauer, but I don’t think a .922 will be quite good enough.
I think he'll be a finalist over Saros... but I'm now thinking Fleury will win the award. This is likely his last great year on a career that has been pretty dang good and writers will want to send him off with a Vezina.

Reactions: MarkT

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think he'll be a finalist over Saros... but I'm now thinking Fleury will win the award. This is likely his last great year on a career that has been pretty dang good and writers will want to send him off with a Vezina.
I would hope you are right about Gru over Saros but also agree with the ultimate winner, due to divisional play I suspect the GMs will be using memory more than usual to formulate their vote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad