NHL: Around the League 52

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Every year @JaegerDice loves the analytical darling Hurricanes and every year they never do anything.

Yes, I alone think the Carolina Hurricanes are a great team. Lol

They’ve been one of the best teams in the league for the last several years. Only one team can win each year. Being fans of a modern dynasty has skewed expectations for some, most teams and their fans cant go into the playoffs every year expecting to be in the final four like we could for the better part of a decade.

They’ll either keep knocking at the door until they get through a la Washington or St Louis, or they wont and they’ll end up like San Jose, a team that had a great run with nothing to show for it.

Series is way closer than 3-0, but Carolina’s offense always dries up.

Major changes are likely coming. Necas and Jarvis are RFA. Guentzel, Teravainen, Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, Noesen, Martinook and Brind’amour are all UFA. That cheapskate organization won’t be able to keep them all.

They’re like $500,000 below the cap this year, it’s not like they have a low internal cap. They wont be able to sign everybody cause they have a lot of good players looking for raises, not because they’re ‘cheap’.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

They’ve been one of the best teams in the league for the last several years. Only one team can win each year. Being fans of a modern dynasty has skewed expectations for some, most teams and their fans cant go into the playoffs every year expecting to be in the final four like we could for the better part of a decade.

They’ll either keep knocking at the door until they get through a la Washington or St Louis, or they wont and they’ll end up like San Jose, a team that had a great run with nothing to show for it.

They’re like $500,000 below the cap this year, it’s not like they have a low internal cap. They wont be able to sign everybody cause they have a lot of good players looking for raises, not because they’re ‘cheap’.
Expecting more out of Carolina isn't unrealistic. They haven't produced. They aren't Leafs futile but they're close. Dundon is cheap as we've argued but the Canes have definitely been close to a cap team under his stewardship.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Carolina Hurricanes since they started making the playoffs
2018-19 Lost 4-0 in Conference Finals
2019-20 Lost 4-1 in first round
2020-21 Lost 4-1 in second round

2021-22 Lost 4-3 in second round
2022-23 Lost 4-0 in Conference Finals
2023-24 on the verge of losing 4-0 in the second round

I have no idea why they don't catch more heat like the Sharks did. Well at least not yet.

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Carolina might need a Karlsson type defenseman to create offense. Slavin Burns Orlov Skjei Pesche arent those guys.

I dont know what they do.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Pretty wild that people thought Kakko was the better prospect vs. Lafreniere. Lafreniere looks like he has officially arrived, while Kakko continues to do absolutely nothing.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

They don’t have a true superstar that takes over games they just have a bunch of “good” players

Reactions: Pez68 and ClydeLee

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Pretty wild that people thought Kakko was the better prospect vs. Lafreniere. Lafreniere looks like he has officially arrived, while Kakko continues to do absolutely nothing.
Teams could have openly offersheeted Laf and make it just enough so it was only a 2nd while also leaving no room for New York to match.

The “dont rock the boat” gentleman’s agreement between gms sucks sometimes.

Only Gm wild enough to do that was Bergevin and he’s gone lol

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How is it wild? Laf spent years doing absolutely nothing. I wanted to trade some of 2nd round picks for him a year or so ago but let’s not act like he wasn’t approaching bust territory. Didn’t he have something like 0 points and 1 SOG last year in the playoffs. I’m happy he’s turning it around but from what I’ve understood over the years Kakko was at least a little bit of a physical and defensive presence. Still disappointing for a 2nd OVR but he wasn’t totally useless out there

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How is it wild? Laf spent years doing absolutely nothing. I wanted to trade some of 2nd round picks for him a year or so ago but let’s not act like he wasn’t approaching bust territory. Didn’t he have something like 0 points and 1 SOG last year in the playoffs. I’m happy he’s turning it around but from what I’ve understood over the years Kakko was at least a little bit of a physical and defensive presence. Still disappointing for a 2nd OVR but he wasn’t totally useless out there
I watched a lot of Laf and Kakko last year, and always thought Laf was the better player between the two. I was told by a few people I didn't know what I was talking about, both players didn't perform well in the regular season or the playoffs. but it was clear as day to me which player had more skill and potential.

Not sure how people thought Kakko was more physical, thats a big part of Lafs game, and he out hit Kakko 141 - 26 last year. Kakko was as bad/good/useless as Laf was last year, but there's a clear separation in the talent level between the two, imo.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It’s the Oilers + the refs against an AHL goalie and they are still barely hanging on.

Powerplay. Merchants.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
B's back in game

4-2 near halfway of 3rd
It's too bad the officials f***ed up Bruins chance to make it a game. One of the worst penalty calls ever in playoff hockey. If there was a penalty it should have been on Eckblad for holding. Instead Panthers get a PP and a resulting goal. I'm surprised that the fans stayed as calm as they did, TBH.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Ten years ago the Kings came back from 0-3 in a series. Let’s see if these Canes are made of similar stuff.

All 3 games have been close. They get a few more saves, and there’s a possibility.

Cant win 4 without winning one.

Lets go Canes! My bracket depends on you!

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Ten years ago the Kings came back from 0-3 in a series. Let’s see if these Canes are made of similar stuff.

All 3 games have been close. They get a few more saves, and there’s a possibility.

Cant win 4 without winning one.

Lets go Canes! My bracket depends on you!
Not gonna happen to your stat darlings. Mediocre goalie, no top end talent just a lot of nice pieces. Same story different year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad