NHL: Around the League 52

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Just did a quick wiki on that. Nothing that stands out other than 1am cut off and any beer over 4% must be sold in a liquor store. Heck, it was just a few years ago Minny started allowing sales on Sundays so there are weird laws everywhere. Went to a UFC fight there a couple years ago and didn’t notice anything that put a damper on our fun.

Yeah, after a bit of research, it's not much different than here in Vancouver (which, I admit, gets criticized alot by locals).

State-run liquor stores, no outdoor/patio alcohol after 11, no alcohol sales after 2am (which amounts to 1:30 for last call), no open liquor in public places, etc.

Vancouver doesn't struggle for FAs based on their rules, so I can't imagine it would hurt SLC too much.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, after a bit of research, it's not much different than here in Vancouver (which, I admit, gets criticized alot by locals).

State-run liquor stores, no outdoor/patio alcohol after 11, no alcohol sales after 2am (which amounts to 1:30 for last call), no open liquor in public places, etc.

Vancouver doesn't struggle for FAs based on their rules, so I can't imagine it would hurt SLC too much.
Illinois isn't a whole lot different.

Liquor stores aren't state-run. And the no outdoor/patio alcohol after 11 is kinda goofy since you're probably still at a bar or restaurant that has a license... But most our bars close at 2am, also, with 1:30am last call. There are some that are open until 3am, or 4am, but they're very, very limited, and it requires a different license, which I'm assuming costs way more, and has way more hoops to jump through, since they're so few and far between. No open liquor in public places for the most part(like you can't just walk down the street with open containers drinking).

Most places are pretty similar, IMO. Differences being we can get any beer we want at bars or liquor stores, no limits on %. And we can also buy beer and liquor at a lot of gas stations and little convenience marts, but many of those stop serving at like 11pm or midnight. Beer/booze sales usually start at 7am or 8am at places like that.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Auston Matthews fails to reach 70 goals. The Leafs just always find a way to embarrass themselves further.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Auston Matthews fails to reach 70 goals. The Leafs just always find a way to embarrass themselves further.
69 goals in the modern era is still mind boggling.

Could’ve been a lot worse though, could have torn his ACL playing a pointless game that wouldn’t impact seeding

Reactions: JaegerDice

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Illinois isn't a whole lot different.

Liquor stores aren't state-run. And the no outdoor/patio alcohol after 11 is kinda goofy since you're probably still at a bar or restaurant that has a license... But most our bars close at 2am, also, with 1:30am last call. There are some that are open until 3am, or 4am, but they're very, very limited, and it requires a different license, which I'm assuming costs way more, and has way more hoops to jump through, since they're so few and far between. No open liquor in public places for the most part(like you can't just walk down the street with open containers drinking).

Most places are pretty similar, IMO. Differences being we can get any beer we want at bars or liquor stores, no limits on %. And we can also buy beer and liquor at a lot of gas stations and little convenience marts, but many of those stop serving at like 11pm or midnight. Beer/booze sales usually start at 7am or 8am at places like that.
Brewbakers is open until 5am on weekends. You used to be able to buy hard liquor/beer from 7/11 until 2am but Lightfoot changed the law because she got campaign money from restaurants and bars to change it coming out of Covid.

And Utah is pretty different. There's like forty liquor stores in the state. We've got more than that on Pulaski.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Brewbakers is open until 5am on weekends. You used to be able to buy hard liquor/beer from 7/11 until 2am but Lightfoot changed the law because she got campaign money from restaurants and bars to change it coming out of Covid.

And Utah is pretty different. There's like forty liquor stores in the state. We've got more than that on Pulaski.
Well yeah, I understand Utah is different. Just like Kentucky being primarily dry is different. I more meant that the majority of places are pretty similar when it comes to liquor laws, with some being a little more strict, and others being a little more lenient. I would say the vast majority of "normal" places have pretty similar liquor laws.

And yeah, you're right about the gas station alcohol. Some were 2am, like Thornton's by my house in Worth where I grew up. Whereas the Shell on the other side of town was midnight. Was dependent on the place.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There’s gotta be a huge somber feeling to have been a player exclusively for a team that (soon) no longer exists in all practicality.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8280.jpeg

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's crazy. I remember pumping gas in London, On, I guess it was 20 years ago. A Cadillac Escalade rolled up, asked him if he wanted to fill it up, then realized I recognized the guy. Asked the other gas attendant if he knew who he was, and he said, that's Jeff Carter. I asked Jeff if he thought he was going to make the Flyers team that year, time flies man.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
That's crazy. I remember pumping gas in London, On, I guess it was 20 years ago. A Cadillac Escalade rolled up, asked him if he wanted to fill it up, then realized I recognized the guy. Asked the other gas attendant if he knew who he was, and he said, that's Jeff Carter. I asked Jeff if he thought he was going to make the Flyers team that year, time flies man.
He’s had a really solid career. Good player.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I remember the Sharp - Richards - Carter line the Phantoms were rolling in 05 during the lockout. Holy hell could that team play.

Team also had Umberger upfront as well and then Pitkanen and Seidenberg on backend

In typical Flyers fashion they traded away young talent they had for very little

Traded away Sharp for this

2005-Dec-05 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers with Eric Meloche to Chicago Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and round 3 pick in the 2006 draft (Ryan White)

Traded away Seidenberg for this

2006-Jan-20 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers with round 4 pick in the 2006 draft (Tomas Marcinko) to Phoenix Coyotes for Petr Nedved and round 4 pick in the 2006 draft (Joonas Lehtivuori)

Traded away Pitkanen for this

2007-Jul-01 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers with Geoff Sanderson and round 3 pick in the 2009 draft to Edmonton Oilers for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul

Traded away Umberger for this

2008-Jun-20 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers with round 4 pick in the 2008 draft (Drew Olson) to Columbus Blue Jackets for round 1 pick in the 2008 draft (Luca Sbisa) and round 3 pick in the 2008 draft (Marc-Andre Bourdon)

Then in Umberger case they traded a very good Scott Hartnell to reacquire Umberger years later when he was on rapid decline as NHL player

2014-Jun-23 Traded from Columbus Blue Jackets with round 4 pick in the 2015 draft (Austin Wagner) to Philadelphia Flyers for Scott Hartnell

Flyers ownership/management trading away so many kids with bright futures especially to plug in past there primes or fading vets into roster is major reason they could never get over hump and win cup.

They continued to repeat mistakes including the Bobrovsky debacle (Signing Byrzgalov and then trading Bob)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad