NHL announces “4 Nations Face-Off” international tournament for 2025

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If they set it up properly next time it could be something like the Euro championship to the WC in soccer where both matter for countries that can participate.

Even if it was just Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czechia, Slovakia, and an 8th team, maybe even 7 and 8 rotating nations depending on Olympic success if NHLers are there or some other measure. Could be nice not having to rely on the pile of dogshit IOC for anything.

The other nations still don't have enough players.

If/when Russia returns it should be a recurring 6 team tournament, I think that would be interesting enough. The Czechs should absolutely play with a 6 team format.

If Switzerland, Slovakia and/or Germany ever manage to get 20+NHLers on a consistent basis I think a recurring 8 team tournament would be fantastic, but I don't forsee that until the 2030s at the earliest. I suppose if you add like, 4 more teams to the league in time more opportunities will exist for that.

Reactions: Voight and MardyBum

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If they set it up properly next time it could be something like the Euro championship to the WC in soccer where both matter for countries that can participate.

Even if it was just Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czechia, Slovakia, and an 8th team, maybe even 7 and 8 rotating nations depending on Olympic success if NHLers are there or some other measure. Could be nice not having to rely on the pile of dogshit IOC for anything.
Slovakia or any 8th team will not have enough NHL players in the foreseeable future.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Probably the dumbest tournament I've ever seen. Hopefully the jerseys are cool enough to give this tournament some clout because this is a joke.

Reactions: Rockman74

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
So it'll be just like the all-star game except the games will be much slower and will feature a bunch of bottom 6 players from Sweden and Findland. Sounds pretty terrible. There's no way we're going to see players go all out for a meaningless tournament (especially mid-season), therefore it's a waste of time.
I just went trough the likely rosters, and Sweden and Finland will likely ice very few true bottom 6 players, if any. Not very different from the Tom Wilsons and Boone Jenners of the world anyways.

There will be clear difference in the intensity and speed of the game, and I'd bet it's the other way around: players will try way harder than in your average All Star game.

Reactions: Sentinel

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
This is pretty stupid. Let's have a tournament with star players but these guys don't get to come. The NHL is pretty brain dead sometimes...

Screenshot_20240514_162331_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240514_162841_Chrome.jpg

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is pretty stupid. Let's have a tournament with star players but these guys don't get to come. The NHL is pretty brain dead sometimes...

View attachment 870710View attachment 870712
Plus, no Leon Draisaitl, Tim Stutzle, or Moritz Seider. No Anze Kopitar. No Marco Rossi or Yegor Sharangovich; no Nikolaj Ehlers or Oliver Bjorkstrand. Mats Zuccarello, Juraj Slafkovsky, Simon Nemec. Roman Josi, Kevin Fiala, Nico Hischier, Philipp Kurashev, Timo Meier. Lukas Dostal, Frederik Andersen, Arturs Silovs, Philipp Grubauer.

No Nathan Walker!

You've got recognizable stars, breakout players, and young guns.
Even if you have to exclude Russian players due to international sanctions, there's pretty much zero reason to not in the absolute very least have a "World" team that could compete with the rest

You're purposefully cutting out viewers and fans

/rant

Last edited:

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I don’t understand why hockey doesn’t loosen it eligibility rules like baseball. You could have an Italian team full of Canadians of Italian descent or.a Jamaican team full of Canadians of Jamaican descent like ok subban and would be good pr for hockey.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The winning team receives the Gary Bettman Trophy and every player gets a Gary Bettman bobble head.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Plus, no Leon Draisaitl, Tim Stutzle, or Moritz Seider. No Anze Kopitar. No Marco Rossi or Yegor Sharangovich; no Nikolaj Ehlers or Oliver Bjorkstrand. Mats Zuccarello, Juraj Slafkovsky, Simon Nemec. Roman Josi, Kevin Fiala, Nico Hischier, Philipp Kurashev, Timo Meier. Lukas Dostal, Frederik Andersen, Arturs Silovs, Philipp Grubauer.

No Nathan Walker!

You've got recognizable stars, breakout players, and young guns.
Even if you have to exclude Russian players due to international sanctions, there's pretty much zero reason to not in the absolute very least have a "World" team that could compete with the rest

You're purposefully cutting out viewers and fans

/rant
It they could loosen the eligibility rules like baseball .

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Probably not morally, but the Russian hockey federation is led by individuals sanctioned by the US government and I doubt Bettman or the other lawyers really want to go there.
The Russian Hockey Federation has also been suspended by the IIHF. While this isn't under the aegis of the IIHF, the NHL is going to want to be in line with them to maintain a unified front to protect that partnership.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Ah, yes. Let's protect the "partnerships" led by some suits who never step on the ice. Cool, cool.
Partnership with the IIHF is like suuuper important.
You realize that, right?

It's how we have transfer agreements with any of the European leagues - how we can have Olympic participation again, finally, and NHL players/prospects participation in World Championships and World Juniors

Reactions: Morrison

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Partnership with the IIHF is like suuuper important.
You realize that, right?

It's how we have transfer agreements with any of the European leagues - how we can have Olympic participation again, finally, and NHL players/prospects participation in World Championships and World Juniors

And it's going really well. No NHL in the Olympics. World Championships that even you don't care about (be honest) and the World Juniors that's, what, in Canada like 75% of the time. Almost as if these partnerships are flipping corrupt or something.

But I'm glad you like. Genuinely happy for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad