Confirmed with Link: NHL and Shanny deems that Gryba gets 2 games

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Just to note also that former Hab Stefane Quintal is also on the player safety committee. Also not sure if Habs GM Marc Bergivin ever played with Shanahan or not.....There should be no bias when it comes to suspensions and maybe Shanahan should be gone....A former referee like K. Fraser would probably have less of a bias.

R U Kidding me., biggest HABS fan after Red Story, Dave Newell, Fournier and let's not forget Wally Harris

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Three things I'd like to see happen this summer:

1. A clearly defined set of rules for the players and officials to follow. The league needs to sit down with players, coaches and officials to determine what is and isn't acceptable in the game and to hold everyone who breaks the rules accountable(stars included). Players should be allowed to play the game without fear of retribution from the league due to a hit with a bad outcome.

2. Shanny needs to go as he proved he is incompetant at his job and he sealed his fate with the Gryba suspension. Honestly I do not know if it's just him or has people working with him to determine suspensions but, somethings gotta be done. I'd like to see a panel of respected ex-nhl'ers coaches and even officials over seeing these types of decsions.

3. Suspending a guy due to public pressure should not happen at all. End of story.

tl;dr

im just a fan who is tired of league ********.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed in the decision. As has been stated by almost everyone here and surprisingly by the vast majority of hockey analysts it was a clean hit with an unfortunate outcome. That happens in hockey sometimes.

There should have been no penalty but I did understand the refs position here, if Gryba wasn't given the gate it could have developed into a real **** show. Sometimes refs have to do this to keep the game under control, I accepted that.

When I heard he was going to have a hearing, I was dumbfounded...what? After some reflection I realized that league politics were front and centre here. Gryba is not a big name, it was in Montreal, Bettman was there, etc. OK you ******** I thought, give him one game so you guys can show your face in Montreal and stand in front of the American media saying you don't condone that stuff.

Two games??? OK, this is way over the top, this is politics run amok, this is a farce and Shanahan is a puppet. The tail is wagging the dog.

When Shanahan first started doing this job I kind of liked his approach, it was fair and measured. He seemed to take the flow and the characters of the game into consideration for every decision. We started to see him bend to politics last year, it was getting bad. Now there is no consistency, it very much matters which players are involved. It would appear that Shanahan has no integrity or scruples anymore, he will do what he is told. Look in the mirror Shanny, you have sold out.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
lol @ Shannahan's explanation "Gryba does not hit the body square enough"

So , you're saying he hit the body but because it hit his head as well there must be a penalty?lol

Huston

Sep 23, 2006
London
lol @ Shannahan's explanation "Gryba does not hit the body square enough"

So , you're saying he hit the body but because it hit his head as well there must be a penalty?lol

Indeed. Pretty hard to hit a body squarely. Sure, that is the reason why Eller's head bounced off Gryba's shoulder, but should freak accidents warrant a suspension? Especially two games, compared to a premeditated elbow to the head like a Ference or a Pronger.

What a joke!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Don Cherry confirms it: because of what's in the papers, Shanny had to do something. He didn't even bother giving an opinion on the hit itself. So basically, it has nothing to do with the hit, but the image of the NHL.

The NHL is purely about entertainment disguised as sports.

Last edited:

Ragged

Sep 10, 2009
Take it away, TSN.

Guess Shanahan wasn't privy to those angles. Brutal. Seems pretty definitive. Pretty much shoots holes in his explanation video.

And as far as Cherry goes, how can a guy who has an opinion on everything decline to comment on that? You can bet if it was Toronto, he'd be all over it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly., all this league has turned into is just laughable, a cheaper version of the WWE

Sad thing is, the league has been a joke for awhile. I'm still amazed how quickly the two Andy van Hellemond incidents were swept under the rug. People went batty over what officials in the NBA were doing, but van Hellemond was way worse and hardly reported.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Guess Shanahan wasn't privy to those angles. Brutal. Seems pretty definitive. Pretty much shoots holes in his explanation video.

And as far as Cherry goes, how can a guy who has an opinion on everything decline to comment on that? You can bet if it was Toronto, he'd be all over it.

Shanafail should be forced to watch this video 8 or 9 times, and then make a PUBLIC apology in which he admits the suspension was incorrect, ends the suspension early so Gryba can play in game 3, and fines Prust for calling MacClean a "bug eyed, fat walrus" in the media.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Shanafail should be forced to watch this video 8 or 9 times, and then make a PUBLIC apology in which he admits the suspension was incorrect, ends the suspension early so Gryba can play in game 3, and fines Prust for calling MacClean a "bug eyed, fat walrus" in the media.

Too late. The damage has been done.

This incident is in the Sens' heads. They're afraid to hit, afraid to play hard, and deep down, they know who the league wants to win the series.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

This incident is in the Sens' heads. They're afraid to hit, afraid to play hard, and deep down, they know who the league wants to win the series.

Oh, I know that. Still, Shanahan should be forced to eat his works and apologize to Gryba, and to the Sens as a whole.

Obviously he wont, because he's a little ***** and doesn't have the manhood to admit that he was wrong, but still, he SHOULD.

kbuzz

Oct 2, 2011
Montréal, QC
Don Cherry confirms it: because of what's in the papers, Shanny had to do something. He didn't even bother giving an opinion on the hit itself. So basically, it has nothing to do with the hit, but the image of the NHL.

The NHL is purely about entertainment disguised as sports.

I totally agree. The SUN should be ashamed for making a poor taste cover. They'll do anything to sell that tabloid. Likewise, the NHL will do anything to protect its image.

Nobody wins here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Cherry declined to comment because he would have called it the way it was

Thing is, now that Montreal and Toronto are in the playoffs the HNIC is all about them how awful Ottawa is: the day it happened they all agreed it wasn't suspension worthy but once the call was made thay all suddenly changed their tune

They told him "you are not talking about how the NHL bent the rules to suspend Gryba" and he followed his orders

If it had been Toronto then he would have said it anyway, but who cares about the Senators? At least the TSN panel was honest about it: the NHL lied, bent it's own rules and only showed footage that fit it's agenda when suspending Gryba.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I totally agree. The SUN should be ashamed for making a poor taste cover. They'll do anything to sell that tabloid. Likewise, the NHL will do anything to protect its image.

Nobody wins here.

I'm sure the Sun, or should I say Quebecor, is a big winner here. Generate headlines, sell a bunch of papers, and all but guarantee the Habs make it to round 2.

Ka-ching!

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007

It might be 'in their heads' as you say, but that's not an excuse. This team needs to be psychologically tougher. This should have been a motivating factor to play their hearts out and they didn't do that. We've heard for the past two years now how this Sens team has 'overcome' adversity. Well this is added adversity and this debacle shouldn't stop them. Don't get me wrong, I'm livid with Shanahan (never liked the guy) and how the league bows to pressure from an original six team. Also, just one look at Therrien's face makes me want to hurl.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The NHL finally pushed it too far. First time in all my life that I'm home but ignore a hockey game or don't record it for future viewing. No Tor vs Bos, no CBC and no NHL at all, we ordered takeout and watched a movie instead.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm sure the Sun, or should I say Quebecor, is a big winner here. Generate headlines, sell a bunch of papers, and all but guarantee the Habs make it to round 2.

Ka-ching!
Their headline even made it to Coach's Corner, I'm sure the people at the Ottawa Sun are ecstatic.

And Coach's Corner of course didn't display much class showing the headlines either, of course.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Left his feet well before the hit. Totally suspension worthy but don't be shocked if nothing happens especially because it's involving that complete incompetent moron Shanahan's former team.

Abdelkader plays for the Red Wings, Lydman plays for the Ducks.

Don't think that won't have any influence on the decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad