Confirmed with Link: NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That would be fantastic.

And optimistically... it might help lubricate some trades, since some of Detroit's best fits for trade partners have been either in their conference or even division.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
that would be nice.

I live in Toronto, so I can easily catch games at Toronto(expansive), Ottawa, Buffalo.

Also games always on 7:00!

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
That would be intersting. Leafs and Bruins are some tough teams to play against. Better hope we get tougher or faster. But I love the original 6 rivalries, the Panthers are on their way up, I'd like to see Stamkos play more. Should be fun.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
That division doesn't make much sense (Chicago, etc.). But I'd be ok with this. St. Louis, Chicago are solid for the next few seasons. Predators could improve. With new management Columbus could be a threat too.

So what would the other divisions look like?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
For years Chicago, Nashville and St Louis have been constructed with the sole-purpose of beating the Red Wings in mind. Lets get the eff out of the Central and never look back :laugh:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd miss being in the same division as Chicago but other than that sounds good to me

Boston/Montreal/Toronto games would be pretty intense,would be in the same division as Yzerman's team,and Karlsson is my favorite player not on the Wings so i'd love seeing more of him

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/report_red_wings_would_move_ea.html

Another eight-team conference would include Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, the New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

One seven-team conference would feature Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

The other seven-team conference would have Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

The one weird thing about this is the two Florida teams in the Wings' division and the Jackets not being there, but there's really no other way to do it. It'd be geographically optimal to have the Pens and Jackets in the Wings' division and then stick the Florida teams in that other East conference, but they won't split the Pens up from the Flyers etc.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Like the Wings in the East but don't like the 8-8-7-7 format. 16 and 14 team conferences is unfair. Even the MLB fixed that and they live in the stone age.

It seems like they just switch around a few teams from the original proposal that the PA shot down.

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
I'd be thrilled-- I would love to see the Wings face off against East teams more often, especially Toronto and Montreal, as there would be many more chances for me to see them in person being in Toronto. Wings should be in the East, they're geographically close enough, plus it would give 'em more Original Six meetings!

Once the playoffs roll around here in Toronto, especially these past few seasons, a lot of Wings fans show up at sports bar. It's pretty pro-Red where I am, any ways.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Only matter of time until more expansion, so it'll even out soon.

This is why I thought it was weird that Toronto and Montreal are in 8 team conferences - aren't Quebec City and Toronto two of the favorites to score the next two expansion teams?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That would be awesome. More prime time games against old rivalry teams and could fly down to Florida for vacation and catch some dirt cheap games

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'll be one of the rare few to say I absolutely despise this. I love the West. West is the best, and it has the best teams and the best players. I liked the first proposal better. I love Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago as rivals. They're geographical and historic rivals. Screw the league if they do this. I mean, come on. You can't split Detroit and Chicago. Every one of the Big four has Detroit and Chicago in the same division. That would be asinine.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is why I thought it was weird that Toronto and Montreal are in 8 team conferences - aren't Quebec City and Toronto two of the favorites to score the next two expansion teams?

Perhaps they are targeting Seattle or Portland. Kansas City could get a shot at some point also.

Aug 6, 2012
I'll be one of the rare few to say I absolutely despise this. I love the West. West is the best, and it has the best teams and the best players. I liked the first proposal better. I love Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago as rivals. They're geographical and historic rivals. Screw the league if they do this. I mean, come on. You can't split Detroit and Chicago. Every one of the Big four has Detroit and Chicago in the same division. That would be asinine.

But they'd be moving around other teams too so it wouldn't be just the Wings moving to the East. And I don't know about you but I'd rather play Montreal/Toronto/Boston than just the Hawks.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Our owner asked Red Wings to move back to EAST for years now.

I think we will move to East for now but when the expansion comes (Toronto, QC) we will move back to West.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Detroit will be one of the big winners if it happens. Travel miles will be DRAMATICALLY reduced over an 82 game season. Not to mention the simple idea of it makes so much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad