NHL and CHL being sued over alleged exploitative contracts for teen players

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Via the Toronto Star

Some excerpts:

Young hockey players chasing the dream of a professional career are forced into exploitative contracts that impose unfair wages, control where they play and breach U.S. antitrust laws, a new lawsuit alleges.
Canadian major junior leagues act as a “cartel,” conspiring to restrict athletes' ability to negotiate their own contract, the lawsuit alleges. Instead, players' salaries are capped at $250 a month despite working full-time.
The lawsuit targets the Canadian Hockey League — the primary feeder system for the National Hockey League — and its three regional leagues: the Ontario Hockey League, the Western Hockey League and the Quebec Maritime Junior Hockey League.
“We are challenging the business model of the CHL,” says Jeff Shinder, one of the lawyers representing the players in the suit. “We have methodically unpacked every element that creates an indentured servitude arrangement … It's atrocious how these kids are treated. This needs to stop and it stops here.”

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Its a union that that doesn't represent anyone in the CHL since CHL players aren't union members and since there are minors in the league they can't unionize themselves cause they can't enter a legal binding agreement (aka CBA) on their own

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I got this pitch email as well

Two players named plaintiffs: Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players Tanner Gould and Isaiah DiLaura

Here's who are behind it, from the bottom of the email:

Constantine|Cannon LLP, with offices in New York, Washington, D.C., and San Francisco, has deep expertise in antitrust and complex commercial litigation, whistleblower representation, government relations, and other practice areas. The firm’s antitrust practice is among the largest and most well recognized in the nation. Constantine Cannon’s experience spans multiple industries, including sports, electronic payments, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, financial services, industrial chemicals, automotive, entertainment and media, insurance, high tech, transportation, telecommunications, the Internet, and government contracting. For more information about Constantine|Cannon LLP, visit www.constantinecannon.com.

Zelle LLP is an international litigation and dispute resolution law firm with offices in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, London, Minneapolis, New York, Oakland, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. The Firm excels at handling insurance, antitrust and other complex litigation on both a national and global scale. For more information about Zelle LLP, visit www.zellelaw.com.

Reactions: dalewood12

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Very intersting development. I think that if this lawsuit is allowed to proceed (not sure why it wouldn't) then it will follow along the same contours of the NCAA vs Alston case and ultimately the CHL will be (or at least should be) held liable under anti-trust laws (similar to the NCAA).

This will have just as a profound impact as the Alston and Bannon cases have had on the NCAA, forcing the CHL to change its model and open the door to direct compensation and end the canard of "amateurism"

Its fun to speculate as to what the landscape of hockey will look like after these various lawsuits have worked their way through the courts. I can't see either the CHL or the NCAA surviving in their current forms. Perhaps a new model based on European club soccer (and to a lesser extent hockey) will arise; where professional clubs (like the NHL) will directly sponsor club teams all the way through the minor levels and the players will freely be able to move through them based on ability. So a "major junior" team featuring teenage athletes, a minor pro team perhaps with an age cap of between 18 through 22 (with an exemption for exceptional younger aged players), and then the various minor pro leagues up to the NHL.

Change is certainly a foot!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Very intersting development. I think that if this lawsuit is allowed to proceed (not sure why it wouldn't) then it will follow along the same contours of the NCAA vs Alston case and ultimately the CHL will be (or at least should be) held liable under anti-trust laws (similar to the NCAA).

This will have just as a profound impact as the Alston and Bannon cases have had on the NCAA, forcing the CHL to change its model and open the door to direct compensation and end the canard of "amateurism"

Its fun to speculate as to what the landscape of hockey will look like after these various lawsuits have worked their way through the courts. I can't see either the CHL or the NCAA surviving in their current forms. Perhaps a new model based on European club soccer (and to a lesser extent hockey) will arise; where professional clubs (like the NHL) will directly sponsor club teams all the way through the minor levels and the players will freely be able to move through them based on ability. So a "major junior" team featuring teenage athletes, a minor pro team perhaps with an age cap of between 18 through 22 (with an exemption for exceptional younger aged players), and then the various minor pro leagues up to the NHL.
And what happens if the leagues fold then what? Where were the player go? Also you do realize european hockey doesn't exactly bring in the $$$. Are the fans willing to pay massive price increases and i mean massive just to go see a teens play?

Reactions: andora and G Backup

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I got this pitch email as well

Two players named plaintiffs: Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players Tanner Gould and Isaiah DiLaura

Here's who are behind it, from the bottom of the email:

Constantine|Cannon LLP, with offices in New York, Washington, D.C., and San Francisco, has deep expertise in antitrust and complex commercial litigation, whistleblower representation, government relations, and other practice areas. The firm’s antitrust practice is among the largest and most well recognized in the nation. Constantine Cannon’s experience spans multiple industries, including sports, electronic payments, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, financial services, industrial chemicals, automotive, entertainment and media, insurance, high tech, transportation, telecommunications, the Internet, and government contracting. For more information about Constantine|Cannon LLP, visit www.constantinecannon.com.

Zelle LLP is an international litigation and dispute resolution law firm with offices in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, London, Minneapolis, New York, Oakland, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. The Firm excels at handling insurance, antitrust and other complex litigation on both a national and global scale. For more information about Zelle LLP, visit www.zellelaw.com.

And? So they hired lawyers.

It's funny that it's a US-based lawsuit against the Canadian Hockey League, but I guess the handful of US-based franchises probaby gives the court jurisdiction.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
And what happens if the leagues fold then what? Where were the player go? Also you do realize european hockey doesn't exactly bring in the $$$. Are the fans willing to pay massive price increases and i mean massive just to go see a teens play?

I would venture to guess that many teams would fold but then evolve into something different, in compliance with anti trust and labor laws. That is why I believe that the NHL, in order to preserve an eco system for elite players, would have to step in and handle much of the developmental cost.

Thing is that demographics of most hockey playing nations is not good. The U.S. is experiencing its lowest birth rate ever and the cost to participate in hockey is skyrocketing. It's already known (at least in the U.S.) as a rich white kids game....well the birth rate for these "white" kids has crashed and the so called minority kids have so far not taken an interest in the game and for the few that have, cost is huge barrier.

The model needs to change, its that simple. Its not fair to those that are playing to not be compensated for their services (CHL and NCAA) and while few CHL and NCAA teams will be able to afford increasing labor costs, that in itself is no reason that these players should not receive a just compensation, (and I'm not buying the "they get a scholarship" for their service). This is a good opportunity for the NHL and various stakeholders (we are talking about billionaire owners here) to begin defraying the costs for kids playing the game....because demographically the current model will not hold.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So the one thing I can say is that the restrictions on player movement and the like in the NHL are all allowed because these things are collectively bargained.

There was an attempt at a CHLPA over a decade ago. It fell apart.

Actually - as I remind myself about the CHLPA - the CHLPA (which isn't certified to recognize anyone collectively) became a member of the World Association of Ice Hockey Players Union - which is the group bringing this lawsuit.

But the one thing - if the CHLPA had ever been certified and a CBA reached - this kind of lawsuit couldn't happen.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I would venture to guess that many teams would fold but then evolve into something different, in compliance with anti trust and labor laws. That is why I believe that the NHL, in order to preserve an eco system for elite players, would have to step in and handle much of the developmental cost.

Thing is that demographics of most hockey playing nations is not good. The U.S. is experiencing its lowest birth rate ever and the cost to participate in hockey is skyrocketing. It's already known (at least in the U.S.) as a rich white kids game....well the birth rate for these "white" kids has crashed and the so called minority kids have so far not taken an interest in the game and for the few that have, cost is huge barrier.

The model needs to change, its that simple. Its not fair to those that are playing to not be compensated for their services (CHL and NCAA) and while few CHL and NCAA teams will be able to afford increasing labor costs, that in itself is no reason that these players should not receive a just compensation, (and I'm not buying the "they get a scholarship" for their service). This is a good opportunity for the NHL and various stakeholders (we are talking about billionaire owners here) to begin defraying the costs for kids playing the game....because demographically the current model will not hold.

You're suggesting a development model that does not exist in any north american sports.

NHL isn't just going to jump in and subsidize the CHL. NHL owners didn't get to be billionaires by giving money away.

If you go back to the CHLPA's demands from 2012, they were asking for the ability to use their scholarship more than 12-18 months after they left junior hockey, the ability to use the scholarship to attend trade school, a proposed $1.50 education levy on ticket fees, and personality rights to players.

You can easily imagine a scenario where a settlement is reached (or a CBA signed) where players are given a few more perks but doesn't fundamentally upend the CHL business model.

Because nobody - not owners, not players, not the lawyers involved - want to destroy the CHL.

Reactions: andora and G Backup

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You're suggesting a development model that does not exist in any north american sports.

NHL isn't just going to jump in and subsidize the CHL. NHL owners didn't get to be billionaires by giving money away.

If you go back to the CHLPA's demands from 2012, they were asking for the ability to use their scholarship more than 12-18 months after they left junior hockey, the ability to use the scholarship to attend trade school, a proposed $1.50 education levy on ticket fees, and personality rights to players.

You can easily imagine a scenario where a settlement is reached (or a CBA signed) where players are given a few more perks but doesn't fundamentally upend the CHL business model.

Because nobody - not owners, not players, not the lawyers involved - want to destroy the CHL.
It's even less likely that the marriage of school and sport falls apart entirely. It's been woven into the American sporting system since the get go. If college sports goes away, it's unlikely hockey will be driving the bus there. More likely is that reform will continue to work from within the system rather than completely destroy it. College sports is well built into the fabric of many communities and the University of Alabama Crimson Tide becoming the Tuscaloosa Crimson Tide and an affiliate of the Atlanta Falcons would remove well over a century of established traditions. Direct sponsorship of youth sports by professional teams isn't a thing in the U.S. or Canada, and it would be starting the whole thing over from scratch to suddenly try and copy the European model.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wonder if whatever ruling would apply just to the US based CHL teams or all of them? Could this be the end of the CHL in the US?

It's also unclear how the NHL is involved in this. Because they assign players to the CHL? Most ELC's have signing bonus money so that doesn't make a ton of sense - those players make a decent amount of money.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I think that it also deprived a teen being able to pursue the college education route with scholarship as they were unaware of their future and too young to decide what they want to do in their life and if they were to be offered a scholarship and would be penalized by being ineligible for NCAA hockey just because they choose to play in CHL at 15/16 years old and is too young to understand the ramification of their education if NHL doesn't work out. They need at least a back-up plan and they don't even have an option because of the ineligible for college scholarshi9p. Even if it is not a part of the lawsuit reasoning, just what I am guessing that the motive is for the lawsuit.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
And? So they hired lawyers.

It's funny that it's a US-based lawsuit against the Canadian Hockey League, but I guess the handful of US-based franchises probaby gives the court jurisdiction.
There was no judgement on the law firms, or the act of hiring law firms in my comment - just sharing the info they shared.

I don't know this world at all, so I was just hoping someone with knowledge would come in and say "oh these guys are good" or "huh I haven't heard of these guys, but I really should have"

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I wonder if whatever ruling would apply just to the US based CHL teams or all of them? Could this be the end of the CHL in the US?

It's also unclear how the NHL is involved in this. Because they assign players to the CHL? Most ELC's have signing bonus money so that doesn't make a ton of sense - those players make a decent amount of money.
The NHL is a named defendant primarily because the NHL-CHL Agreement — in the eyes of the plaintiffs — materially contributes to the (alleged) illegal restraint of trade. The NHL pays the CHL in exchange for the exclusive rights to the junior league’s players and the terms of the Agreement prevent NHL-drafted players in the CHL from monetizing their skills in other leagues (say, in the AHL).

To the best of my knowledge, this suit isn’t about some kind of junior hockey players’ association (no court can order the creation of that), or wages or working conditions. No, it seems to be a more pure Sherman anti-trust suit accusing the CHL of creating a system that does not allow players to negotiate anything meaningful — not even which of the 60 teams they’ll play on.

No idea about the merits of the case, but I did, many years ago, read a few articles in sports law reviews suggesting that the annual priority selection drafts conducted by the three CHL junior leagues would not withstand an anti-trust challenge in the US.

Seems like we’ll find out.

Edit: check out this link In re Hockey Antitrust Litigation - In Re Hockey Antitrust Litigation

Last edited:
Reactions: andora and Ernie

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The NHL is a named defendant primarily because the NHL-CHL Agreement — in the eyes of the plaintiffs — materially contributes to the (alleged) illegal restraint of trade. The NHL pays the CHL in exchange for the exclusive rights to the junior league’s players and the terms of the Agreement prevent NHL-drafted players in the CHL from monetizing their skills in other leagues (say, in the AHL).

Can you say more about how the NHL-CHL agreement limits the players? Isn't that only if they (by choice) sign a contract with the NHL team that drafted them?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Then the NHL does something. Like how the rest of the world works.

This has been destined in the same manner what’s happening with college athletics has been destined.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012

I think you’re right that the NHL won’t simply subsidize the CHL. Do I think that’s a problem? Yes and no.

There are formats under which each league can still exist with a fewer number of teams. These people will have to figure that out. After all, if you’ve been watching how the NCAA is going down, same here.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I could say something, yes.

But maybe it’s best to simply to refer you to page 78 of the official court filing, available here: https://hockeyantitrustlitigation.c...024/02/24-cv-01066-Document-1-Complaint-1.pdf

Seems a bit tenuous but who knows.

Basically the NHL pays the CHL development money which reduces the NHL's costs. I guess that's somewhat fair? If the players are under contract they should be paid. Seems like an easy fix though, as most ELC's already include bonus money so arguably these players are getting paid by the league.

The NHL also doesn't allow signed players under the age of 20 play in the AHL or ECHL. However, arguably those players are already represented by the NHLPA and covered under the NHL CBA. Besides, it's arguably IIHF agreements that keep the different leagues from signing players already under contract.

It also make the claim that the NHL controls the AHL and ECHL and doesn't allow unsigned players to play there but that's pretty questionable given that they are separate structures.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Seems a bit tenuous but who knows.

Basically the NHL pays the CHL development money which reduces the NHL's costs. I guess that's somewhat fair? If the players are under contract they should be paid. Seems like an easy fix though, as most ELC's already include bonus money so arguably these players are getting paid by the league.

The NHL also doesn't allow signed players under the age of 20 play in the AHL or ECHL. However, arguably those players are already represented by the NHLPA and covered under the NHL CBA. Besides, it's arguably IIHF agreements that keep the different leagues from signing players already under contract.

It also make the claim that the NHL controls the AHL and ECHL and doesn't allow unsigned players to play there but that's pretty questionable given that they are separate structures.
Put it this way… the causal connection between the movement to end unpaid internships and this- it’s pretty strong. The NCAA is in process of losing similar cases. That’s why I’d say it’s pretty much destined here.

One possible fix IS to professionalize the CHL. This would be inclusive of the ability to sell players up when they’re still under contract. After all, how else do you think 10 somewhat professional levels of soccer exists in England? Or, at least you invite the kids into a broader union and, in the name of the smaller markets, many protections can be negotiated. Leagues in North America have a track record of being able to pull that off rather regularly.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Put it this way… the causal connection between the movement to end unpaid internships and this- it’s pretty strong. The NCAA is in process of losing similar cases. That’s why I’d say it’s pretty much destined here.

One possible fix IS to professionalize the CHL. This would be inclusive of the ability to sell players up when they’re still under contract. After all, how else do you think 10 somewhat professional levels of soccer exists in England? Or, at least you invite the kids into a broader union and, in the name of the smaller markets, many protections can be negotiated. Leagues in North America have a track record of being able to pull that off rather regularly.
Agreed.

Obviously, this particular New York court filing might have defects. It’s a class action and could fail to gain certification. There could be jurisdictional flaws or the court might have a problem with the representative plaintiffs. Lots of different moving parts.

But you are quite correct that, eventually, the US courts are likely going to treat major junior hockey the same way they’ve recently treated the NCAA.

In the landmark NCAA v. Alston case, the US Supreme Court’s unanimous decision was authored by Justice Neil Gorsuch, who outlined the court's rationale to flatly reject the NCAA's request for “immunity from the normal operation of antitrust laws."

But it’s the concurring opinion of Justice Kavanaugh that really provides insight into the Court’s thinking.

A few doozies from Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion:

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.”

On the NCAA’s claim of amateurism: “Such innocuous labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."

There’s much more:

“All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that 'customers prefer' to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a 'love of the law.' Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a 'purer' form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a 'tradition' of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a 'spirit of amateurism” in Hollywood. Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor. And price-fixing labor is ordinarily a textbook antitrust problem because it extinguishes the free market in which individuals can otherwise obtain fair compensation for their work.”

If you’re the CHL, none of the above is good news for you.

But it’s not a death knell, either.

The CHL has new leadership. The president, Dan ManKenzie, started in late 2019. He comes from the NBA.

The new commissioner of the Quebec-Maritimes League, Mario Cecchini, began less than a year ago. He brings to the league vast experience in sports and media.

Today, February 15, is day #1 for new WHL commissioner Dan Near, who comes to the league from Adidas.

Current OHL commissioner David Branch is (mercifully) leaving the job at the end of this season. No word yet on his replacement, but I’d expect someone with a background similar to Cecchini and Near.

For a combined 106 years, Gilles Courteau (age 67, ran the Q for 37 years), Ron Robison (age 69, ran the WHL for 24 years) and Dave Branch (age 76, ran the OHL for 45 years) ran the CHL like a family compact.

Now, it’s younger blood and possibly fresher thinking. Can these newbies identify and pursue opportunities, or will they cling to the legally iffy structures of the past?

Reactions: JMCx4 and Corso

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

True, this proposed model has no precedence in the North American athletic world but that does not negate the merits of this proposal.

I'm not sure that anyone wants to destroy the CHL per se but it will change into something that might be unrecognizable from its current structure and methods of operations.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Sidebar- but the majority of CHL teams do not turn a profit of any significance. How do those franchises survive if they have to pay their players? Is the scholarship fund large enough to be redistributed as wages?

We talk pretty casually about the consequences of CHL player wages but is it not a death knell to the leagues? Would revenue sharing allow the leagues to stay afloat?

It might all seem somewhat trivial but Jr. hockey teams are such a massive part of small city Canada that it is pretty much unthinkable that their existence be threatened to this extent.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Sidebar- but the majority of CHL teams do not turn a profit of any significance. How do those franchises survive if they have to pay their players? Is the scholarship fund large enough to be redistributed as wages?

We talk pretty casually about the consequences of CHL player wages but is it not a death knell to the leagues? Would revenue sharing allow the leagues to stay afloat?

It might all seem somewhat trivial but Jr. hockey teams are such a massive part of small city Canada that it is pretty much unthinkable that their existence be threatened to this extent.
A couple of points.

First, whether “the majority of CHL teams” do or do not turn a profit” is impossible to empirically determine. The CHL and its three leagues say it’s absolutely true. Forensic accountant Ronald T. Smith and economics professor Kevin Mongeon both say it’s patently false.

Plaintiffs’ Court Documents

But this current class action isn’t about the profitability of CHL teams or the individual leagues. Rather, it is about US anti-trust law and whether the CHL, through its 60 teams in three leagues operating in two countries, does or does not function as a cartel to sidestep other US laws intended to ensure the primacy of the free marketplace.

Secondly, the CHL is hardly some sacred cow. For nearly four decades NHL clubs directly sponsored Canadian junior hockey teams across the country. This junior sponsorship system ended more or less with the first NHL expansion in ‘67 (the last NHL sponsored junior team in Canada was the London Nationals, which the Toronto Maple Leafs sponsored until 1971).

This NHL junior sponsorship system ended for two primary reasons: a) the 6 new NHL clubs did not have thousands of sponsored junior hockey players signed to C-cards and thus would not have any pipeline to acquire players, and b) the NHL believed that they were probably in violation of US anti-trust law and had best wind down the sponsorship system before it got in front of a US judge.

Third, junior hockey in Canada has shown a remarkable ability to adapt and thrive for over 125 years. It wasn’t until the early-1970s that what we now know as the CHL entered its infancy. There was no QMJHL. The WHL was an outlaw league. The (then) Ontario Major Junior Hockey League was governed by the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA), which itself was governed by the CAHA. Hockey Canada was still an international hockey slush fund controlled by Eagleson. There was no “NHL-CHL Agreement” but there was a “NHL-CAHA Agreement,” which allowed the CAHA to subsidize grassroots hockey across Canada.

And guess what? Canadian junior hockey still gave hockey Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard and Bobby Hull, Guy Lafleur and Gilbert Perreault, Stan Mikita and Phil Esposito.

Last words: I do NOT want the CHL to fold. I DO want the organization to stop spending tens of millions of dollars in legal fees and court costs to defend an antiquated system stuck in a time warp. I want them to stop acting like David Branch is just beginning his tenure 45 years ago and start acting like a 21st century business enterprise that grows and changes with the times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad