OT: NHL All-Time Draft,Round 2

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello again from the NYR Boards. Due to requests from multiple posters across the boards, I've decided to continue the All Time draft into a second round. The rules for this draft are as follows, if you did not remember:

1. Every team gets a single pick in the round, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft). So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Please check the below post before voting for a player, as it's possible they have already been taken. And remember again, active players are ineligible.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
32. Detroit Red Wings (1st round pick- Wayne Gretzky) - On the Clock
33. Ottawa Senators (Mario Lemieux) -
34. San Jose Sharks (Bobby Orr) -
35. Los Angeles Kings (Gordie Howe)-
36. Anaheim Ducks (Jaromir Jagr) -
37. New Jersey Devils (Nicklas Lidstrom) -
38. Buffalo Sabres (Dominik Hasek) -
39. Montreal Canadiens (Jean Beliveau) -
40. Chicago Blackhawks (Mark Messier) -
41. Arizona Coyotes (Eric Lindros) -
42. Minnesota Wild (Joe Sakic) -
43. Vancouver Canucks (Steve Yzerman) -
44. Nashville Predators (Peter Forsberg) -
45. Florida Panthers (Pavel Bure) -
46. Calgary Flames (Mike Bossy) -
47. New York Rangers (Maurice Richard) -
48. Winnipeg Jets (Dale Hawerchuk) -
49. New York Islanders (Denis Potvin) -
50. Columbus Blue Jackets (Guy Lafleur) -
51. Toronto Maple Leafs (Patrick Roy) -
52. Carolina Hurricanes (Ray Bourque) -
53. Dallas Stars (Doug Harvey) -
54. Edmonton Oilers (Bobby Hull) -
55. Vegas Golden Knights (Martin Brodeur) -
56. Pittsburgh Penguins (Ron Francis) -
57. Philadelphia Flyers (Bobby Clarke) -
58. Washington Capitals (Phil Esposito) -
59. Tampa Bay Lightning (Eddie Shore) -
60. Colorado Avalanche (Paul Coffey) -
61. St Louis Blues (Chris Pronger) -
62. Boston Bruins (Howie Morenz) -

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll update this comment as each new vote comes in, but I can only count it if it's a single player vote (so not "Shore or Harvey" for example). If you're changing your vote later on, that's fine, just make a note of it.

Red Kelly (1)- martinez
Sergei Fedorov (9)- The Zetterberg Era, Hammettf2b, Ezekial, Winger98, SirloinUB, Eternal Sunshine, BStinson, Bench, Konnan511
Ted Lindsay (1)- Cyborg Yzerberg
Larry Robinson (1)- Bondurant
Sergei Makarov (1)- Henkka

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Sandvich's Best on the Board(tm):

C: Marcel Dionne, Adam Oates, Sergei Fedorov, Stan Mikita, Bryan Trottier, Red Kelly (C/D), Frank Nighbor, Alex Delvecchio, Cyclone Taylor
LW/RW: Brendan Shanahan, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Teemu Selanne, Jarome Iginla, Brett Hull, Cam Neely, Bill Cook, Sergei Makarov, Valeri Kharlamov, Jari Kurri
D: Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Brad Park, Brian Leetch, Slava Fetisov, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy, Pierre Pilote, King Clancy
G: Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Vladislav Tretiak, Ken Dryden, Glenn Hall

Red Kelly

Yeah, the ATD board was rather surprised (to put it mildly) he didn't make the 1st round

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Sandvich's Best on the Board(tm):

C: Marcel Dionne, Adam Oates, Sergei Fedorov, Stan Mikita, Bryan Trottier, Red Kelly (C/D), Frank Nighbor, Alex Delvecchio, Cyclone Taylor
LW/RW: Brendan Shanahan, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Teemu Selanne, Jarome Iginla, Brett Hull, Cam Neely, Bill Cook, Sergei Makarov, Valeri Kharlamov, Jari Kurri
D: Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Brad Park, Brian Leetch, Slava Fetisov, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy, Pierre Pilote, King Clancy
G: Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Vladislav Tretiak, Ken Dryden, Glenn Hall

Yeah, the ATD board was rather surprised (to put it mildly) he didn't make the 1st round
No brainer pick, especially as a wings fan

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are we doing the old prime peak versus career argument here?

I would think by Bure and a few others Fedorov at his absolute powers was a top 10 player. I watched him dominate Lemieux and Gretzky heads up in person a few times.

I would probably go Lindsay or Robinson before Red Kelly, but that is tight if we aren't doing peak.

When I cruise the rules I am thinking peak.

For me Fedorov is the most talented player. Give me the Hart and Selke, especially playing 2 hole behind Gretzky, y'all are playing for second best.

Reactions: Winger98

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

I would think by Bure and a few others Fedorov at his absolute powers was a top 10 player. I watched him dominate Lemieux and Gretzky heads up in person a few times.

I would probably go Lindsay or Robinson before Red Kelly, but that is tight if we aren't doing peak.

For me Fedorov is the most talented player. Give me the Hart and Selke, especially playing 2 hole behind Gretzky, y'all are playing for second best.

Fedorov is a guy who got a bunch of votes in the last 10 or so slots of the 1st round, but never came out on top

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

I kind of assumed career because we are drafting these players at age 18.

“4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)”

Either way my vote is still Kelly but I’m totally cool with feds. His prime was as good as anyone’s.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Fedorov is the easy pick but putting Iggy or Selanne on a line with Gretzky would be a lot of fun.

hmmm

I’ll take the true Red Wing. Fedorov gets my vote.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Looking back, Gretzky is the only logical choice at #1, but I kind of wish we had gone with one of our great Wings.

Also, nice to see our boy Lidstrom get so much respect from the Devils fans.

Reactions: mantha39

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Looking back, Gretzky is the only logical choice at #1, but I kind of wish we had gone with one of our great Wings.

Also, nice to see our boy Lidstrom get so much respect from the Devils fans.

Realistically, the only Wing who you'd really consider at once is Howe, and while he's Top 4 all time, I think most would agree that Gretzky is and was THE GUY. On the Lidstrom bit, @The Zetterberg Era was wrong in his predictions there

"My real contention in this exercise will be after we exit that top five, a team building block that brings excellence in Lidstrom should then enter that picture but watch on the mains as other d-man and guys pass him. Hardly any guys if any have ever controlled the tempo of the game like Lidstrom. I understand him maybe not being a fixture in top 10 arguments, but when building a team he should absolutely be a top 10 all-time player as a building block."
(Funnily enough the ATD post on the Devils board is still on the first page)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Realistically, the only Wing who you'd really consider at once is Howe, and while he's Top 4 all time, I think most would agree that Gretzky is and was THE GUY. On the Lidstrom bit, @The Zetterberg Era was wrong in his predictions there

"My real contention in this exercise will be after we exit that top five, a team building block that brings excellence in Lidstrom should then enter that picture but watch on the mains as other d-man and guys pass him. Hardly any guys if any have ever controlled the tempo of the game like Lidstrom. I understand him maybe not being a fixture in top 10 arguments, but when building a team he should absolutely be a top 10 all-time player as a building block."
(Funnily enough the ATD post on the Devils board is still on the first page)

Glad to be wrong in terms of how that would go. I watch people try to argue Bourque and Potvin over him a lot.

With the Rules of this game I draft Lindros 5th, but it would be between Lidstrom and Hasek for that #6 spot over Jagr for me. Who for me would come right after them.

When he retired his peers all talked about it. He willed the entire game to be played how he wanted it to be. His team never missed the playoffs and he was a a top 10 Norris finisher in 17 of his 20 seasons with really the first few coming because he was a young player and the voters didn't get it yet. Dominant player and for as much as people try to discredit the era he played in often he was beating the only Hart Trophy winning D-man since Bobby Orr continuously.

You have Nick Lidstrom, you win hockey games. I get he might not be bring you out of your seat exciting, but I couldn't build a better more dependable anchor, he would go weeks at a time without mistakes.

“I always want to be on a team with Nick Lidstrom.”

-Scotty Bowman

He did go #1 in the Athletic greatest draft from the playoff run and that is how Bowman picked between the three star studded teams. Just give me the one with Lidstrom which says it all to me.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Gotta be Feds. Can't pass on another Wings legend again.

Good excuse for me to bring up these vintage ads.

Those with a keen eye will spot a certain Philly legend at the 27 second mark.

3qURZSd.jpg

Reactions: Konnan511

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Lidstrom over Bourque is hilarious. There's more of an argument for Howe over Gretzky then there is for Lidstrom over Bourque and people act like Gretzky over Howe was the only logical choice. That draft order is absolutely terrible.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Lidstrom over Bourque is hilarious. There's more of an argument for Howe over Gretzky then there is for Lidstrom over Bourque and people act like Gretzky over Howe was the only logical choice. That draft order is absolutely terrible.

There a lot of issues with this draft order:

- Lindros , Hawerchuk, Francis over Esposito, Mikita, Trottier
- Bure over Hull, Bossy,Lafleur, Richard, Makarov, Kurri etc.
- Coffey over Robinson, Fetisov, Park etc.

To argue that Lidstrom over Bourque is hilarious after seeing all this is quite funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad