NHL All Rookie Team - Schultz in, no Yak

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I think having something to prove will be good for Yakupov in the long run. But personally I don't know why you guys follow this eastern based media BS, it's a joke and I'd rather we all just ignored it whether Schultz makes it or not (everything the PHWA does is stupid).

Tangible results? Leading all rookies in scoring from the 3rd line of a bottom 10 team?

Yakupov won that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But Yakupov is a classless, one dimensional russian that will slide on his knees all the way to the KHL at the first chance he gets.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
No love cause he's Russian? Absolutely pathetic. They can eat there words when Yaky is winning Rocket Richards after Rocket Richards and taking home the Art Ross.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Spoiler alert - He's Amurrican

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Spector is pulling his devils advocate act on Twitter again.

Jonathan McLeod ‏@jonrmcleod 13m
@SportsnetSpec @Archaeologuy @AdMan0828 Why not focus on more narrow issue: why was Yak not voted on the rookie all star team?

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 11m
@jonrmcleod @Archaeologuy @AdMan0828 Because he wasn't a Top 3 rookie fwd this year. 6 of his 17 goals came in last 3 meaningless games.

Jonathan McLeod ‏@jonrmcleod 3m
@SportsnetSpec You could do that sort of thing with every player's stats. Points often come in bunches.

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 1m
@jonrmcleod Garbage time is different. Counts less. Yakupov went 26 games with 1 goal, more than half the season.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
And now he confirms that he excluded Yakupov.

Jonathan McLeod ‏@jonrmcleod 3m
@SportsnetSpec That's your opinion. Seems arbitrary. Looks like you're trying to justify an embarrassing result.

‏@SportsnetSpec
@jonrmcleod WHo's embarrassed? We're right. Would vote that way all day long. Just guessing, but you may be lacking some objectivity here.

The word in embarrassing is apropos.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm confused as to which of the games were "meaningless". The Vancouver one maybe, but the Minnesota game they were fighting for their playoff lives.

Why does Yakupov get punished for getting stronger as the season went on whereas the other players started to fade?

The Oilers brought Yak along slowly this year and made him play for long stretches with Belanger on the third line, lol.

It's bias from the Eastern media no question about it, if he played for the Leafs or was from Nova Scotia, he'd be on that list not even a question about it. He is Russian and plays in the West, simply put he has to outperform everyone else by a bigger margin because most of these so called writers don't watch the West much.

If he played in the East, half the numb nuts out East would know what he likes for breakfast, let alone that once he got to play in the top six after the Hemsky injury, his production boomed.

t0mf00lery

Sep 12, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
Visit site
I'm blown away by the arrogance of Spector's "we're right" comment. Give me a flipping break.

Spector's an idiot who thought that Eager should be on the top line. Everything out of his mouth is useless babble.

You know, sometimes the NHL is strange...I've never understood the averseness to demonstrative celebrations. It's entertainment. Hockey people are odd sometimes.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Ridiculous comments from Spector. There was one garbage game in the season when Vancouver pulled their better players.

Yakupov should use this as motivation for next year and smash the graduating rookies. Ask the voters this time next year if they regret the idiocy of their decisions:

Saad over Yakupov?
Gallagher over Yakupov?

What a joke.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, Mark Spector is an ass.

"LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAWE'RERIGHTLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA"

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Spector has done a great job of reminding us all that just because you have a platform for others to hear your opinion, it doesn't make that opinion smart.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm confused as to which of the games were "meaningless". The Vancouver one maybe, but the Minnesota game they were fighting for their playoff lives.

Why does Yakupov get punished for getting stronger as the season went on whereas the other players started to fade?

The Oilers brought Yak along slowly this year and made him play for long stretches with Belanger on the third line, lol.

It's bias from the Eastern media no question about it, if he played for the Leafs or was from Nova Scotia, he'd be on that list not even a question about it. He is Russian and plays in the West, simply put he has to outperform everyone else by a bigger margin because most of these so called writers don't watch the West much.

If he played in the East, half the numb nuts out East would know what he likes for breakfast, let alone that once he got to play in the top six after the Hemsky injury, his production boomed.

The hockey world is weirdly bias like that. Just look at Sam Gagner. His incredible 8 point night is routinely used against him as a negative. When a player does something positive, such as having a huge game like Gagner, or scoring a ton and finishing a season strong like Yakupov, people try to discredit it, or skew it to fit their agenda.

It's pretty embarrasing if you ask me.

Also, I've never liked Spector. Ever. The guy is a total knob. He's picked on the Oilers his whole career, I have no idea why he didn't pack it up for the east long ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad