News Article: NHL 30 in 30: Winnipeg Jets

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hilariously, in the middle of that article there's a 'related' link for another article headlined: "Caps have two of the 50 top NHL goalie prospects". But I'd argue that's not very newsworthy if three in the top 50 and two in the top four isn't exactly "bursting with young talent".

Is MacWilliam a LHD? If Morrissey fails to make the Jets lineup, depth may be a problem in that position.

We are stacked with young goalies. I don't think it would be a stretch to replace Pavs/Hutch with Helle/Comrie, and have the latter pairing actually put up better numbers.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Looking back on the Fro thing, for the 2 or 3 hundred k per year difference (between what we offered vs what he signed for in Calgary) I feel like we should have just signed him.

You have no idea what he was offered by the Jets. That isn't information that is made available to the general public, so people should stop acting like they "know" this. My personal unverifiable speculative opinion is that he and his SO didn't want to remain in Winnipeg (the city) for personal reasons.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You have no idea what he was offered by the Jets. That isn't information that is made available to the general public, so people should stop acting like they "know" this. My personal unverifiable speculative opinion is that he and his SO didn't want to remain in Winnipeg (the city) for personal reasons.

I doubt it. If they wanted Frolik to stay long-term, the would ahve locked him up after the 2013-14 season. The Jets had no intention of paying Frolik what he was worth.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Lawless said on Twitter that Chevy's best offer was 4x4.

JetFromFinland

Jul 3, 2014
Funny how they talked about Jets if you compare to Calgary. Last season both of them was counted out of playoffs, and now Calgary have became a lot better team than Jets. Ofc they made to second round, but still, they might underrate Jets.

Centreal division is a damn tough, but if couple of our prospects (and Burmi) steps up and goalies play well, we have a chance. A good chance.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't really disagree with much he said in the video, only thing that jumped out wad saying Lemieux would have a chance to make team. I suppose it's possible bit highly unlikely.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Funny how they talked about Jets if you compare to Calgary. Last season both of them was counted out of playoffs, and now Calgary have became a lot better team than Jets. Ofc they made to second round, but still, they might underrate Jets.

Centreal division is a damn tough, but if couple of our prospects (and Burmi) steps up and goalies play well, we have a chance. A good chance.

I don't think there is any question that the Jets were better than Calgary last year. Yes Flames survived one round of playoffs but they didn't play Anaheim in the first round and they weren't nearly as badly injured as the Jets were. Jets finished with 2 more points and didn't have Calgary's puck luck.

That was last year. Since then the Jets have lost Frolik and Calgary has gained him. Calgary got Hamilton (thanks a lot Sweeney!) :shakehead and Giordano is back. Flames will be better this year. Jets might be too depending on goaltending and rookies. Harder for an analyst to put his money on that.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I thought that was rumoured to be what Frolik would have accepted last summer.

Yes, according to Lawless that was the number put forward by Frolic's camp (and evidently rejected by Chevy). Lawless subsequently to that statement said that Frolic's camp even gave Chevy a number below $4M, at $3.9 x 4.

Of course, that was Lawless. The thing you have to remember when Lawless is giving information is that it's Lawless giving information.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
At different times Lawless has started that the best numbers each camp were willing to go with last offseason were $16/4 for the Jets and $15.6/4 for Frolik. You would think, given the overlap, that unless Lawless is full of **** then something would have got done.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
At different times Lawless has started that the best numbers each camp were willing to go with last offseason were $16/4 for the Jets and $15.6/4 for Frolik. You would think, given the overlap, that unless Lawless is full of **** then something would have got done.

Guess you didn't hear the interview on 1290 a few days after Frolik signed with Calgary where Lawless said Frolik came down to $3.9 last summer.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Guess you didn't hear the interview on 1290 a few days after Frolik signed with Calgary where Lawless said Frolik came down to $3.9 last summer.

Wait, didn't you just confirm what he said?

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
This again! What we know for sure is, that Cheveldayoff stopped short of saying, TNSE's offer was "in some ways better than...." "well look, we'll move on...Frolik exercised his right in free agency".

What I get from that is, Ms. Frolik wears the pants, Michael...the dog leash. IMO it had nothing to do with money (maybe term).

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Well, 3.9 isn't the same as 4, and offered by the Jets isn't the same as offered by Frolik, so, no.
He said:
the best numbers each camp were willing to go with last offseason were $16/4 for the Jets and $15.6/4 for Frolik.
So, he said that Lawless reported that the Jets offered 4 x 4, and that Frolik asked for 4 x 3.9.
Right?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If Hellebuyck plays over 20 games, the Jets are in the playoffs.

Also, there is virtually no chance Patrick Kane will play the whole year. If Kane is suspended for most of the season, the Jets will make the playoffs.

If Hellebuyck plays more than 20 games, odds are Hutch and Pav have been injured or played horribly. I'd guess at this point Hellebuyck playing 20 means the playoffs are long dead and gone.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If Hammond plays more than 20 games, odds are Andy and Lehner have been injured or played horribly. I'd guess at this point Hammond playing 20 means the playoffs are long dead and gone.

can u c wat i did there

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, 3.9 isn't the same as 4, and offered by the Jets isn't the same as offered by Frolik, so, no.

Did Lawless give the timings of offers? Frolik may have been willing to accept 4x4 or 3.9 x4 last summer. When Chevy offered 4x4 this summer it was no longer good enough. That would have explained Chevy being peeved after Fro signed with Calgary. Just a possibility but it would fit what we know and the rumours that we have heard. Unless Lawless clearly stated it differently of course.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Did Lawless give the timings of offers? Frolik may have been willing to accept 4x4 or 3.9 x4 last summer. When Chevy offered 4x4 this summer it was no longer good enough. That would have explained Chevy being peeved after Fro signed with Calgary. Just a possibility but it would fit what we know and the rumours that we have heard. Unless Lawless clearly stated it differently of course.

Your scenario is the impression I got from what Lawless said. Last summer Frolik offered (possibly as low as 3.9 x 4) and Chevy said no. Then after the season Chevy offered (whatever) and Frolik said no.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This again! What we know for sure is, that Cheveldayoff stopped short of saying, TNSE's offer was "in some ways better than...." "well look, we'll move on...Frolik exercised his right in free agency".

What I get from that is, Ms. Frolik wears the pants, Michael...the dog leash. IMO it had nothing to do with money (maybe term).

From everything I heard a deal was there to be had with Fro all along but we (not necessarily Chevy) overplayed their hand. See Tanner Glass as exhibit A (thank god that didn't work out). A situation where TNSE met the offer that would have got the deal done but they waited until they were on the courthouse steps to get there and the player decided to try free agency? My source could be wrong but even as a non gambler I would bet the house on its accuracy.

Hey its negotiations sometimes you get it right sometimes you chunk it.

News flash most of the wives would rather be in another city during the winter but they get the drill. On the bright side the players really like playing here for this organization.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To the 30 in 30 topic in hand I get why Calgary is the new bright shinny object to the press.....they had a great run last year (against the odds). But since the playoffs they have added a full time Bennett, Frolik, Hamilton, and Gio is back.

Honestly I think they overachieved last season but they have got some nice new pieces added to the mix this season.

The Jets lost Fro, traded Kane, and if we flip Buff (who knows) that is allot of possession lost. We get back Burmi we add Stafford and we have a boat load of young guys knocking at the door. As usual most of it is going to come down to goaltending again for us.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
To the 30 in 30 topic in hand I get why Calgary is the new bright shinny object to the press.....they had a great run last year (against the odds). But since the playoffs they have added a full time Bennett, Frolik, Hamilton, and Gio is back.

Honestly I think they overachieved last season but they have got some nice new pieces added to the mix this season.

The Jets lost Fro, traded Kane, and if we flip Buff (who knows) that is allot of possession lost. We get back Burmi we add Stafford and we have a boat load of young guys knocking at the door. As usual most of it is going to come down to goaltending again for us.

Which makes me a little nervous, ps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad