News Article: NHL 30 in 30: Winnipeg Jets

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks for sharing the articles. Good reads.

Can't wait to read about what's actually going on and not just what needs to happen or what people are predicting what will happen...

Great avatar, GO SCHIEF! :yo:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I really hope LLW have a kick-ass season and totally shut some of the prognosticators up.

Jaden

Apr 7, 2013
I believe Scheifele will make the line up. He's been developing well, he was a beast at the ohl playoffs

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Wow, I'm surprised how astute their knowledge of our prospects was. Plus our estimated lineup AND the fact that Pavelec is looking like a problem. NHL.com is definitely stepping their game up.

Overall they perfectly matched my views on the upcoming season: our goals for is fine, but we really have to cut down on goals against and a lot of that has to do with Pavelec. The new division also gives us a chance to grab a playoff spot with Chicago and St. Louis looking like the only real locks (glad to see they don't overrate Minnesota like many others do).

I've been on sites that supposedly specialize in prospects and they get half the information on ours wrong.

Jetsman

May 11, 2013
Great White North
I look at that lineup (but Redmond should be added somehow in my opinion - likely when Enstrom gets hurt during week 2) and feel very optimistic. Hats off to Chevy, it was absolutely the right move to send Sheif down for seasoning and creating more appreciation for when he finally makes it this year. It must have been tempting to do what Atlanta had done with their picks (looking at you Burmistrov). I guess it WAS a process after all...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wow, I'm surprised how astute their knowledge of our prospects was. Plus our estimated lineup AND the fact that Pavelec is looking like a problem. NHL.com is definitely stepping their game up.

Overall they perfectly matched my views on the upcoming season: our goals for is fine, but we really have to cut down on goals against and a lot of that has to do with Pavelec. The new division also gives us a chance to grab a playoff spot with Chicago and St. Louis looking like the only real locks (glad to see they don't overrate Minnesota like many others do).

I've been on sites that supposedly specialize in prospects and they get half the information on ours wrong.

I was extremely shocked on the exact same things!

Maybe Patrick is having an influence on him? :dunno:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Even though the Jets have been back for two years, it is just awesome to see the Winnipeg Jets featured on NHL.com!

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
Yeah Im still not over how cool it is to have a team back. Sorry lol. It doesnt hurt that their competitive either.

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
I think Pavelec will improve tremendously this year. As will most of our team. We'll win first place in the division then the Stanley Cup. Mark it down, yo.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I believe Scheifele will make the line up. He's been developing well, he was a beast at the ohl playoffs

in my opinion there is ZERO chance scheifele is not on the roster...ready or not, he is at the age where he has to sink or swim.

i also think it is extremely unlikely that trouba will not make it, but there is a small chance.

i am excited for lowry to be honest....unlikely this year but maybe next.

hopefully the jets will have gotten better by subtraction this year....i just wish they would have done something about goaltending.

my prediction is that jokinnen has a bounce back season.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
in my opinion there is ZERO chance scheifele is not on the roster...ready or not, he is at the age where he has to sink or swim.

i also think it is extremely unlikely that trouba will not make it, but there is a small chance.

hopefully the jets will have gotten better by subtraction this year....i just wish they would have done something about goaltending.

Jokinnen can't get much worse than rock bottom.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
My take on the projected opening-day lineup from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680010

• Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler
    That's a no-brainer. No real comment.
  •  
  • Evander Kane - Mark Scheifele - Devin Setoguchi
    Please, make it so. Hopefully, Jokinen isn't gifted 2nd C.
  •  
  • Matt Halischuk - Olli Jokinen - Michael Frolik
    Jokinen can contribute here. I don't care how much he's being paid.
  •  
  • Eric Tangradi - Jim Slater - James Wright
    Howsabout Lowry - Slater - O'Dell? I want a "3b" line, not a 4th line. Late in the game, when the opponents have 3 tired lines, we could have 4 not-so-tired lines.
  •  
  • Chris Thorburn
    mehh; I'd prefer Peluso.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Thankfully you are not the Jets GM or coach.
If he isnt ready, he will not be on the Jets roster
Period.

That said, I think he is ready to take step, and will earn his way on the team, as opposed to just being given the spot.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
My take on the projected opening-day lineup from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680010

• Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler
    That's a no-brainer. No real comment.
  • Evander Kane - Mark Scheifele - Devin Setoguchi
    Please, make it so. Hopefully, Jokinen isn't gifted 2nd C.
  • Matt Halischuk - Olli Jokinen - Michael Frolik
    Jokinen can contribute here. I don't care how much he's being paid.
  • Eric Tangradi - Jim Slater - James Wright
    Howsabout Lowry - Slater - O'Dell? I want a "3b" line, not a 4th line. Late in the game, when the opponents have 3 tired lines, we could have 4 not-so-tired lines.
  • Chris Thorburn
    mehh; I'd prefer Peluso.

I'd rather see Lowry and O'Dell get development time rather than the leftovers from the top 3 lines. Lowry and O'Dell have a chance to become offensive contributors in the future and the way you do that is giving them offensive minutes (in St. Johns) and allowing them to develop those skills. Not by parking them on the 4th line checking role.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd rather see Lowry and O'Dell get development time rather than the leftovers from the top 3 lines. Lowry and O'Dell have a chance to become offensive contributors in the future and the way you do that is giving them offensive minutes (in St. Johns) and allowing them to develop those skills. Not by parking them on the 4th line checking role.

Asset management wise, Lowry and O'Dell are on 2-way contracts and waiver exempt. My guess is both will primarily play on the Rock, but will get opportunities as injury call-ups.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Seriously? there is no damn way it's "sink or swim". I want Scheifele to be here contributing as much as any Jets fan, but this needs to be looked at realistically and objectively.

Look at Tampa Bay prospect Brett Connolly. Drafted 6th overall in 2010 (a year before Scheifele). The year after his draft (2010-2011) he went back to Junior, participated in the WJC. The following season he played 68 games in the NHL and collected 4 goals and 15 points. Last season however, he played 71 AHL games and only 5 in the NHL. We'll see how he does this coming season, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him hit his stride in the NHL. And... he's just 21 years old.

To attach the "sink or swim" expectations on Mark Scheifele is utterly foolish. There is no straight line in terms of development. If Scheifele proves he needs some AHL time this season, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and no reason next season he couldn't still step in to the NHL and still be a 50-60 point player. Heaven forbid he'd only be 21... oh no...

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

Please re-read what I said.

I have no desire to see Lowry/Slater/O'Dell as 4th line goons. I'm sick and tired of the "5-on-5 penalty kill", and would like to see another competent line on the ice. And yes, that does mean giving them 8-to-12 offensive minutes/night in Winnipeg, maybe more as they improve. I wouldn't dare try that with Tangradi/Wright/Thorburn, who have no business being on the Jets roster.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Please re-read what I said.

I have no desire to see Lowry/Slater/O'Dell as 4th line goons. I'm sick and tired of the "5-on-5 penalty kill", and would like to see another competent line on the ice. And yes, that does mean giving them 8-to-12 offensive minutes/night in Winnipeg, maybe more as they improve. I wouldn't dare try that with Tangradi/Wright/Thorburn, who have no business being on the Jets roster.

A 3b line that gets that many minutes?

That'll take away from our top 2 lines who will have a higher likelihood to score.

And Lowry probably isn't even ready for this role anyways. He only got 1 point in the AHL in around 10 games I think it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad