NHL 21 is 50% off through the end of November on Xbox and PS stores

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just a heads up for anyone who wants a deal, I can't remember the price going down that much so early in the past? Probably the cheapest it'll be till February.

For anyone who missed the post in the NHL 21 thread...

Reactions: OddyOh

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Wow. I've bought this game every year since I was 12. Used to even play the 2k series. Never seen it go down this fast.

I haven't noticed how terrible it is because I used to ONLY play offline GM, but this is my first year playing HUT and it has its own issues (speed and cross crease passing anyone).

I played GM mode for 2 days when it first came out and it felt like it took two steps backwards, they need a HUGE overhaul. Its like they add things but give no weight to them, its all frills and no substance. They need substance in that mode. Things should matter.

I'll always buy it because I enjoy hockey and hockey video games, so I am part of the problem, if we didn't buy it we may have a better product already.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How bad is a game that it takes a 50% price drop a mere 5 weeks after it was released?

I don't even know how this series can regress year-to-year with numerous bugs and glitches. They've basically been running the same game engine for a decade now it seems. Is the NHL series where they start all of their beginner programmers fresh out of post-secondary school and promote the experienced ones to bigger revenue series like FIFA and Madden?

I'll pass on this "deal" for now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How bad is a game that it takes a 50% price drop a mere 5 weeks after it was released?

I don't even know how this series can regress year-to-year with numerous bugs and glitches. They've basically been running the same game engine for a decade now it seems. Is the NHL series where they start all of their beginner programmers fresh out of post-secondary school and promote the experienced ones to bigger revenue series like FIFA and Madden?

I'll pass on this "deal" for now.

Lmao, yea seriously. That is brutal.

Game is garbage, has been for years. I'll buy again once they re-do everything on the next gen.

Reactions: BruinDust

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Just to pump the numbers up. I got it just to get matchups in EASHL. Haven’t played HUT in a few years so that will be a little new to me. As mentioned no depth to any game mode but I’ll get my 35$ worth

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’ve got PS3, would I be better off getting PS4 when they discount it ,or when 5 becomes generally available, and wait til then. Not a big player but play hockey, golf, car racing mostly.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Got it at 50% off, and I never comment on the game because I only play offline Franchise mode and even though it usually the same except for some changes here and there, I still enjoy it bc i am just too lazy to adjust the roster and create new players. But this year is the first time I feel like I wasted money bc it is literally the exact same thing from last year. I have not notice any changes-maybe later on in the Franchise mode with drafting prospects in the later rounds-but the game play and layout is disappointing. To me the thing that is truly a huge smack in the face is they are still using McDavid pic from last year at the roster screen in the main menu. How lazy can they get, pretty sure it will literally take them less thean 5 mins to load another pic for that screen.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I have been around since the very beginning and used to buy EA NHL every year, but I would never pay full price for EA NHL any longer.

Having bought it on impulse because of this deal, I'm reminded why.. same bonehead AI, same magnetic sticks on the opposition blocking or just plain catching my passes behind their backs while skating the other way, same momentum nonsense where the CPU becomes invincible at times, same thing trying to hit a player and suddenly they have a forcefield around them.. its been the same for half a decade.

The main appeal for me is the be a pro mode and that finally got a tiny bit of love this year but pales in comparison to other sports games.

Time to skip a few years again.

And PS: EA, no one cares about your stupid, slow, over-done menus that you revamp every year. Work on the *game*.

Sep 19, 2008
They always have it for sale for the holidays.

There was a time where I would have gave in. Heck the last NHL I purchased was in person at Target on the day after Thanksgiving in 2017.

But since it's pretty much been the same game for 5 or 6 years now there's no point.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I’ve been playing 20 on pro and mans it’s unplayable and infuriating... I’m a game pass member so I won’t be giving EA a dime anytime soon for a sports game and tbh all of EA’s sports games are shit.

NBA Live awful, Madden 20 awful GM, FIFA took a step back in terms of leagues.

EA can’t do NBA because it got mopped but man if Konami was decent and the licenses weren’t exclusive I think EA would be sacred.

I wish 2k would return to Hockey, they will return to NFL so hockey maybe one day.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I’ve got PS3, would I be better off getting PS4 when they discount it ,or when 5 becomes generally available, and wait til then. Not a big player but play hockey, golf, car racing mostly.

I'd wait for the 5. they'll stop making (as many) games for the ps4 in a few years.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Meh, with no hockey on the horizon, and because it is on sale I will pick it up, just to get my hockey fix. I usually play franchise mode. For those complaining about gameplay, are you all just using the default sliders? Cuz if you are they are terrible. Google "Altito NHL 21 sliders" (I dont want to link it here). The sliders he uses makes the game a great deal better.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Game is garbage, has been for years. I'll buy again once they re-do everything on the next gen.

I'd say it's more a case of "if" than "once". It's not like the jump from PS3 to Ps4 was significant for this series. Sure graphics got a little sharper, a little crisper. But by and large it was the same game.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
This is the first year I have not bought Ea NHL hockey since the very first one on the Sega Genesis in 92 I believe lol. I bought NHL 20, but I only played it for a week. I haven't turned my Xbox on since NHL 20 came out.

I think I will wait for them to release a next gen version as I will buy whatever the new xbox console is sometime.

Sep 19, 2008
Meh, with no hockey on the horizon, and because it is on sale I will pick it up, just to get my hockey fix. I usually play franchise mode. For those complaining about gameplay, are you all just using the default sliders? Cuz if you are they are terrible. Google "Altito NHL 21 sliders" (I dont want to link it here). The sliders he uses makes the game a great deal better.

Did they fix the loading screens in franchise taking 3 hours to load?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do think NHL 21 doesn't have much staying power, but I'll probably buy it again when it's 50% off because I want to sell my Xbox 1 and get a PS5. It just sucks that I already paid $65 or whatever for NHL 21 for the XBox and I can't just transfer it over to the PS5, but oh well.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

If the first PS4 release is any indication, the first PS5 game will be absolute garbage. Bare bones and broken all around. Last time at launch I remember the draft was available as a sim only option on NHL 2015. This was the McDavid draft. You had to sim and the computer drafted for you. Not to mention the game play itself was beyond awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad