NHL 2023-2024 season predictions...

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
With the season slowly opening over the next few days it's time to show off your Swami skills.
  • Who are your four division winners?
  • Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year?
  • Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year?
  • League's highest goal scorer not named Auston Mathews, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or David Pastrnak
  • First coach fired
  • Norris Trophy winner not named Cale Makar or Adam Fox (so yeah, could be the third place finisher)
  • Vezina Trophy winner - no restrictions because it can be so unpredictable from year to year
  • Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDER because of the Bedard factor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'll start since I started the thread...

Four division winners
I have Canes, Leafs, Stars and Oilers

Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year
Sabres, Pens and Coyotes

Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year
Isles, Panthers and Wild

League's highest goal scorer not named Auston Mathews, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or David Pastrnak
Robertson in Dallas (I think I was right with Pasta last season)

First coach fired
Sens coach

Norris Trophy winner not named Cale Makar or Adam Fox (so yeah, could be the third place finisher)
Rasmus Dahlin

Vezina Trophy winner - no restrictions because it can be so unpredictable from year to year
Jake Oettinger: I liked him last year and sticking with him again

Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDER because of the Bedard factor
I got Beniers right last year so let's go two for two. Really stuck, suspect most people here will go Bedard-Fantilli (or vice-versa). So let's get crazy. I am going with Bedard-Fantilli. That said, I think Cooley's gonna kill it in AZ.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
With the season slowly opening over the next few days it's time to show off your Swami skills.
Carolina
Toronto
Stars
Kings
  • Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year?
Sabres, Flames, none
  • Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year?
Winnipeg, NYI, none
  • League's highest goal scorer not named Auston Mathews, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or David Pastrnak
Robertson
  • First coach fired
No idea
  • Norris Trophy winner not named Cale Makar or Adam Fox (so yeah, could be the third place finisher)
Heiskanen
  • Vezina Trophy winner - no restrictions because it can be so unpredictable from year to year
Oettinger
  • Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDER because of the Bedard factor
Devin Levi, Bedard.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Who are your four division winners?

Carolina, Toronto, Dallas, Vegas

Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year?

Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa

Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year?

Seattle (they just get squeezed out because Calgary bounces back and the Central captures both WC), Florida & Tampa (neither can overcome early season deficits due to major injuries, and Ottawa and Buffalo move past them. Both WC come from the Atlantic as the Metro is very mid)

League's highest goal scorer not named Auston Mathews, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or David Pastrnak

Jason Robertson

First coach fired

this one's hard because the usual impatient teams JUST hired guys or extended them. I think Ottawa is in good shape so I don't think Smith is the first fired. Maybe McClellan if the Kings falter?

Norris Trophy winner not named Cale Makar or Adam Fox (so yeah, could be the third place finisher)

Dahlin goes nuclear as Buffalo challenges Toronto for first in the Atlantic

Vezina Trophy winner - no restrictions because it can be so unpredictable from year to year

Shesterkin bounces back after a pedestrian season last year

Cooley then Bedard. I think Arizona is head and shoulders above Chicago in terms of supporting cast (I honestly think they could push for a playoff spot in the Central) and Cooley will have such an airtight case even if Bedard is better individually. Third will be someone random. I can't help but worry that Fantilli will hit a wall around Christmas because of how hard he plays.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Who are your four division winners?

Carolina, Toronto, Dallas, Vegas

Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year?

Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa

Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year?

Seattle (they just get squeezed out because Calgary bounces back and the Central captures both WC), Florida & Tampa (neither can overcome early season deficits due to major injuries, and Ottawa and Buffalo move past them. Both WC come from the Atlantic as the Metro is very mid)

Jason Robertson

First coach fired

this one's hard because the usual impatient teams JUST hired guys or extended them. I think Ottawa is in good shape so I don't think Smith is the first fired. Maybe McClellan if the Kings falter?

Dahlin goes nuclear as Buffalo challenges Toronto for first in the Atlantic

Shesterkin bounces back after a pedestrian season last year

Cooley then Bedard. I think Arizona is head and shoulders above Chicago in terms of supporting cast (I honestly think they could push for a playoff spot in the Central) and Cooley will have such an airtight case even if Bedard is better individually. Third will be someone random. I can't help but worry that Fantilli will hit a wall around Christmas because of how hard he plays.
We are thinking along the same lines on a lot of these picks but you are more bullish on Ottawa than I am.

Reactions: squashmaple

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Carolina
Toronto
Stars
Kings

Sabres, Flames, none

Winnipeg, NYI, none

Robertson

No idea

Heiskanen

Oettinger

Devin Levi, Bedard.
Fun fact: Steve Mason was the last goalie to win the Calder 2008-2009. Do you really think Levi is that good...amongst a loaded field of non-goalies?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
    • Las Vegas, Dallas, New Jersey, Toronto.
    • Calgary, Buffalo, Detroit.
    • Winnipeg, New York Islanders, Tampa Bay.
    • Jack Hughes
  • First coach fired
    • D.J. Smith (Ottawa)
    • Miro Heiskanen
    • Igor Shesterkin
  • Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDERbecause of the Bedard factor
    • Connor Bedard, Devon Levi

EDIT: Wrote Vegas and Edmonton for some reason. Whoops.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Canes, Panthers, Stars, Knights
Sabres, Blues (only 2)
Islanders, Jets
Tage Thompson
  • First coach fired
Bowness of the Jets
My brain says Dahlin, but it could be some vet who can put up points like John Carlson.
Oettinger, but my wildcard here is one of Jack Campbell / Stuart Skinner
Bedard, Leo Carlsson (because I am a pessimistic CBJ fan)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
  • Who are your four division winners? Carolina, Toronto, Colorado, Edmonton
  • Three teams who did not make the playoffs last year who make the playoffs this year? Pittsburgh, Calgary, Buffalo
  • Three teams who made the playoffs last year who do not make the playoffs this year? Seattle, NYI, Boston
  • League's highest goal scorer not named Auston Mathews, Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or David Pastrnak Tage Thompson
  • First coach fired D.J. Smith
  • Norris Trophy winner not named Cale Makar or Adam Fox (so yeah, could be the third place finisher) Rasmus Dahlin
  • Vezina Trophy winner - no restrictions because it can be so unpredictable from year to year Sorokin
  • Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDER because of the Bedard factor Bedard, Cooley

• Las Vegas, Edmonton, New Jersey, Toronto.
    • Calgary, Buffalo, Detroit.
    • Winnipeg, New York Islanders, Tampa Bay.
    • Jack Hughes
  • First coach fired
    • D.J. Smith (Ottawa)
    • Miro Heiskanen
    • Igor Shesterkin
  • Calder Trophy winner - NAME YOUR TOP TWO IN ORDERbecause of the Bedard factor
    • Connor Bedard, Devon Levi

Going to be hard for both Vegas and Edmonton to win their division.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
  • First coach fired
4 winners: Carolina, Toronto, Colorado, and Edmonton

3 new teams: Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh

3 teams missing: Florida, Islanders, Minnesota

Goal scorer: Ovechkin

First fired: David Quinn

Norris: Heiskanen

Vezina: Oettinger

Calder: Cooley, Bedard

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Oettinger, but my wildcard here is one of Jack Campbell / Stuart Skinner

My wildcard pick of whoever establishes himself as #1 in Edmonton is looking really good today. :eek3:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone have Brock Boesser leading the league in goals this year?

And Bedard with 1 Goal and 1 Assist in his first two games is laying down the gauntlet in the race for the Calder.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
  • First coach fired
Four div winners: Carolina, Toronto, Los Angeles, Colorado
3 teams missing the playoffs: Seattle, Minnesota, NY Islanders
3 teams making the playoffs: Buffalo, Detroit, Calgary
Highest Goal Scorer: Mikko Rantanen
First coach fired: uhhh... DJ Smith?
Norris 3rd place: No idea, so i will say Victor Hedman
Vezina Winner: Igor Shestyorkin
Calder 1-2: Connor Bedard, Matthew Knies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad