Prospect Info: NHL 2013 Draft ...Avs won the draft lottery !!! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Talent >>> Size

Unless, you prefer Jessiman over Parise like the Rangers back in 03.:laugh:

A bit of both is pretty useful. It might even help you win cups. As evidenced by some of the players in the 2003 draft (Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Horton, Brown).

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Talent >>> Size

i have no issue with smaller players but your entire team or all your top prospects can't be all small and no real size.
if this keeps up we'll be the mighty midgets of Denver.

Sgarbossa,Hishon,Smith,Bourke,Connolly,Meurs & Blandisi are all 5-9 to 5-11 160 to 180 lbs.
that's not going to work at the NHL level. we get pushed around enough as it is.
we need size and skill, not just small guys.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
i have no issue with smaller players but your entire team or all your top prospects can't be all small and no real size.
if this keeps up we'll be the mighty midgets of Denver.

Sgarbossa,Hishon,Smith,Bourke,Connolly,Meurs & Blandisi are all 5-9 to 5-11 160 to 180 lbs.
that's not going to work at the NHL level. we get pushed around enough as it is.
we need size and skill, not just small guys.

Realistically, one or 2 of those players will make a significant impact in the NHL. Who knows what will happen tomorrow anyone of those guys could be gone in the offseason or break out with another team. You don't draft based on what you have in your prospect pool or your needs, you draft based on BPA.

I soo regret changing my avy today and having this debate. Bad timing on my part lool.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Jones was ok tonight for Portland, who fell to Edmonton 4-1 to kick off the WHL finals.

He had a dominant first period, a couple huge hits in the frame and some real nice plays with and without the puck. Didn't have a great last half of the game. Turned the puck over a couple of times and also lost his check in front of the net when Lazar scored to ice the game.

Overall one game won't change a teams opinion this far into the season, but I bet he's getting some mostly positive, but mixed, reviews tonight from Avalanche brass.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As for Petan, he's definitely a guy the Avs will consider. I am still one of the guys that hates the Hishon pick to this day, and they are similar players, but the big difference is health. Hishon had an injury history going into the draft, Petan doesn't. That tells me that he's not an injury prone player and that he possesses high hockey sense to avoid taking a physical toll. His game also would transition well to the wing, if we needed it to.

He wouldn't be my first choice 32nd overall for Colorado, but I bet he's a guy they'd consider taking in that spot, fits their type of pick and is a guy I would ultimately be happy to have. I compare him to a guy like Andy McDonald of St. Louis. Undersized but plays a top 9 role, works hard, has dynamic hands.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Talent >>> Size

While I agree to an extent, size does play a factor and from watching the playoffs so far this year, its about as physical as any hockey I have seen. Guys are getting shoved off pucks left and right.

Its not that size is the only factor...but our scouts should be finding guys that play BIGGER than their size but still have skill.

Thats just my 2 cents at 2 in the morning :)

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Jones was ok tonight for Portland, who fell to Edmonton 4-1 to kick off the WHL finals.

He had a dominant first period, a couple huge hits in the frame and some real nice plays with and without the puck. Didn't have a great last half of the game. Turned the puck over a couple of times and also lost his check in front of the net when Lazar scored to ice the game.

Overall one game won't change a teams opinion this far into the season, but I bet he's getting some mostly positive, but mixed, reviews tonight from Avalanche brass.

Yep, I saw Jones play last night and this is pretty spot-on. I sat next to a few scouts from Phoenix last night.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We definitely need more size up front and especially in our prospect pool and it's not even up for debate really.

I get that Pracey and the crew are drawn to hard-working character guys with compete and skill, but it wouldn't hurt for them to go out on a limb and draft a couple guys with those credentials that stand over 6 foot.

Small teams just don't win Cups anymore, you need to have a very good mix of size and speed to succeed.

I'm really hoping that they finally get our D situation straightened out, they went from a bunch of fast small guys to over-correcting and adding a bunch of big slow guys.

They need to start looking for big, skilled TWD in the draft and in free agency/the trade market. Sure it usually takes bigger D longer to develop, especially two-way D, but so be it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado needs more high upside forwards in it's prospect pool in general.

They aren't oblivious to the fact, given that they used all five of last year's selections on forwards, but there still aren't many forwards in the system worth being excited about.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Just a few quick observations about Jones in the game I saw last night. I really got the sense that he tried to take over the game in the 3rd period with the Winterhawks down. Maybe the coach gave the d-men more freedom to roam, but I did see a glimpse of what he can do with his skating ability when he carried the puck into the offensive zone and drove to the net for a shot. It was pretty remarkable how smooth he looked carrying the puck, especially for a bigger guy.

Also, he gets a lot of attention from opponents away from the puck. I'm not sure if other players resent how much attention he's getting or they were just trying to goad him into a stupid penalty, but he did a good job of giving the abuse back without going far enough to sit on the box for it.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have a good feeling about Young. I don't think he'll be a stud, but everything I've read about him sounds like he will be a solid defender. Only seen him play a few times though, so this is really just a feeling. He's a senior this year, yes?
Yes he will be.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just a few quick observations about Jones in the game I saw last night. I really got the sense that he tried to take over the game in the 3rd period with the Winterhawks down. Maybe the coach gave the d-men more freedom to roam, but I did see a glimpse of what he can do with his skating ability when he carried the puck into the offensive zone and drove to the net for a shot. It was pretty remarkable how smooth he looked carrying the puck, especially for a bigger guy.

Also, he gets a lot of attention from opponents away from the puck. I'm not sure if other players resent how much attention he's getting or they were just trying to goad him into a stupid penalty, but he did a good job of giving the abuse back without going far enough to sit on the box for it.

This. Very calm kid in all situations. I'm glad he's not super aggressive.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We definitely need more size up front and especially in our prospect pool and it's not even up for debate really.

I get that Pracey and the crew are drawn to hard-working character guys with compete and skill, but it wouldn't hurt for them to go out on a limb and draft a couple guys with those credentials that stand over 6 foot.

Small teams just don't win Cups anymore, you need to have a very good mix of size and speed to succeed.

I'm really hoping that they finally get our D situation straightened out, they went from a bunch of fast small guys to over-correcting and adding a bunch of big slow guys.

They need to start looking for big, skilled TWD in the draft and in free agency/the trade market. Sure it usually takes bigger D longer to develop, especially two-way D, but so be it.

preach! :handclap:

we have got to start getting bigger prospects at forward.
we need much more skill and guy who can play a physical game on both ends of the ice.
we're starting to go back to the things that got us in trouble after Blake,Foote & Forsberg left.

we keep getting smaller and smaller and other teams can just mug us.
we need to be able to match up.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
preach! :handclap:

we have got to start getting bigger prospects at forward.
we need much more skill and guy who can play a physical game on both ends of the ice.
we're starting to go back to the things that got us in trouble after Blake,Foote & Forsberg left.

we keep getting smaller and smaller and other teams can just mug us.
we need to be able to match up.

I'd rather they just get the best players available. Getting a big guy that can't play won't help us any, it's what got the Avs in trouble before Blake, Foote and Forsberg left.

They need a good mix of skill and size. They'll have pretty decent size on D if they decide to go after Jones. I'd like to see them add size on O via free agency for now. I like Stalberg, Clowe, Clarkson and even Horton, all dependent on costs. My first choice would be Stalberg to play with Duchene. There's also a chance a good player could be had if they get bought out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't Hishon break his arm blocking a shot in his draft year? That's hardly a sign of a guy with injury issues.

He broke his foot while blocking a shot.

RS is entitled to his opinion, but Stastny broke his arm and bruised his foot blocking shots as well and he doesn't scream injury prone to me.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

RS is entitled to his opinion, but Stastny broke his arm and bruised his foot blocking shots as well and he doesn't scream injury prone to me.

I wasn't sure if it was his arm or his leg, thanks for clearing this up bud.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Did he not have a concussion as a 16 year old or at some point in his draft year? Hishon, I mean.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Size sure didn't help the Sharks win a cup nor the flyers. Vancouver was a win away from winning the cup and they only lost because TT was a man on a mission. Staying away from players because of their size is dumb dumb dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad