NHL 20 Open Beta (July 26th-31st)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Playing as a Defensive Dman in EASHL...

-passing is much worse. It’s way to slow and stretch passes seem like they’re missing by 2-3ft every time. (This is with laser passing 2 trait on)

-poke check is weaker. I’ll hear the noise from my stick poking the puck but the puck carrier won’t even lose possession. Also too easy to get tripping penalty.

-one timers go in less which is a great thing IMO as offense has to be a little more creative

-the commentary is for middle schoolers. Seriously so awful. That “icing really is the most boring play” thing is so dumb. It’s the second year in a row they gave Ray Ferraro a commentary line where he says the word boring. Why the f*** would you ever put the word “Boring” in a routine part of entertainment product???

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
The goalies blocker is like a piece of steel with springs on it loll. As soon as you hit it with a hard shot, it goes into the stands. What the hell man, I can't believe they think that's realistic physics. Do they even watch hockey? EA is a joke.

Sep 19, 2008
These betas are so short that I inevitably stop playing after the first time I run it, and forget to play again. The World of Chel announcer is terrible. If the actual versus commentary is like that...:help:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I honestly realised after playing this that I may well not buy an EA NHL game for 20 years. They're still so far behind what a decent NHL game should look like, with no end in sight. They need to fire some lead people, who obviously care about stupid gimmicks like HUT and "World of Chel" more than improving base gameplay. EA have always been money grubbing scumbags who only care about ROI. I have been looking for a good NHL game for 8 years now and I still get more enjoyment out of the old NHL pc versions with mods than I do EA.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've really enjoyed the gameplay. Clock needs to be at the top (there's so much noise about this, I think they'll make it an option in settings), passes need to be a bit quicker (they've said that passing will be 5km quicker at release, which is about what I think needs to be done).

After my first couple games, I got the poke checking down, so I only get penalties if I'm careless.

I LOVE that you can't pass through people now. If you try and pass through a defender, you will get intercepted. The only ones really upset about it, are the ones who just try and force cross crease passes through defenders. Now that pass will work like once out of ten times.

There's some times where the shooting animations go a bit funky, but they've said that's been corrected IIRC.

From a gameplay perspective, it's hard to be upset with this game.

Reactions: FifthLine

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I saw a video on it and the only thing I noticeably liked a lot was the post goal presentation. They might want to speed up passes a bit but at least people can't keep using 100 MPH passes that are unstoppable.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
NHL is probably the most difficult game to make as realistic as possible because of the nature of the sport. Fast pace, smaller arena, etc.. FIFA for example its easier to emulate what soccer players actually do, how they move etc.. That said, it still feels like the NHL games should be way ahead of where its at right now. The way NHL 20 plays is how it should've in like NHL 12 IMO.

They are so far behind the other games.

Reactions: perseus

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
NHL is probably the most difficult game to make as realistic as possible because of the nature of the sport. Fast pace, smaller arena, etc.. FIFA for example its easier to emulate what soccer players actually do, how they move etc.. That said, it still feels like the NHL games should be way ahead of where its at right now. The way NHL 20 plays is how it should've in like NHL 12 IMO.

They are so far behind the other games.
This is the type of comment that annoys me I played the other sports game(except racing/boxing) and outside of Fifa they are all too shit in some ways....the worst is when people praise NBA 2k when its just a 3 point shooting simulator since they are way too easy to make when the best 3 point shooters in NBA history can't hit 40% from the 3 point line in NBA 2k your average 3 point guy is going to hit 60-70%(oh yeah and regular contested layups are harder(???) along with mid range shots, which honestly I take NHL's gameplay over anyday.

Last edited:

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I laugh at how much the gaming industry has consumers in their grasps. They literally ignore the consumer and essentially tell you what you want. It's why billions of dollars are put into advertising and marketing. Consumers want GM Connected, better Franchise Mode, Frostbite Engine, etc. etc. But these requests continue to be ignored. Why? Because that actually takes effort and resources.

They promote simple slap on modes (CHEL) or cash grabbers (HUT) and make minimal improvements to gameplay that should typically be in a patch anyways. Slap on a new cover athlete and ship those puppies out with a brand new roster that is a disaster for 90% of the games life cycle. EA is **** publisher consumed by greed and Rammer is a **** producer/game developer.

Nothing in the beta shows this game is worth $60+

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is the type of comment that annoys me I played the other sports game(except racing/boxing) and outside of Fifa they are all too **** in some ways....the worst is when people praise NBA 2k when its just a 3 point shooting simulator since they are way too easy to make when the best 3 point shooters in NBA history can't hit 40% from the 3 point line in NBA 2k your average 3 point guy is going to hit 60-70%(oh yeah and regular contested layups are harder(???) along with mid range shots, which honestly I take NHL's gameplay over anyday.
NBA and Madden are miles ahead of NHL.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I've really enjoyed the gameplay. Clock needs to be at the top (there's so much noise about this, I think they'll make it an option in settings), passes need to be a bit quicker (they've said that passing will be 5km quicker at release, which is about what I think needs to be done).

After my first couple games, I got the poke checking down, so I only get penalties if I'm careless.

I LOVE that you can't pass through people now. If you try and pass through a defender, you will get intercepted. The only ones really upset about it, are the ones who just try and force cross crease passes through defenders. Now that pass will work like once out of ten times.

There's some times where the shooting animations go a bit funky, but they've said that's been corrected IIRC.

They’ll patch it to make it as random as possible so every idiot can be decent soon enough.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
NBA and Madden are miles ahead of NHL.
at what being just as bad? Madden is laughably bad to the point where not even NFL fans buy it anymore and I like the NFL more than the NHL. What the heck are they miles ahead in? Madden's franchise mode is a joke and the draft/scouting is beyond terrible. Other than the engine improving graphics which comes more from the team having a much bigger budget the gameplay is shallow and terrible at least NBA has a solid franchise mode Madden has? Um nothing really great about it all though glad that Madden 20 is trying to differentiate the players which I guess it will have over NHL 20 so I'll give them that.

Last edited:

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I laugh at how much the gaming industry has consumers in their grasps. They literally ignore the consumer and essentially tell you what you want. It's why billions of dollars are put into advertising and marketing. Consumers want GM Connected, better Franchise Mode, Frostbite Engine, etc. etc. But these requests continue to be ignored. Why? Because that actually takes effort and resources.

They promote simple slap on modes (CHEL) or cash grabbers (HUT) and make minimal improvements to gameplay that should typically be in a patch anyways. Slap on a new cover athlete and ship those puppies out with a brand new roster that is a disaster for 90% of the games life cycle. EA is **** publisher consumed by greed and Rammer is a **** producer/game developer.

Nothing in the beta shows this game is worth $60+

I think with the next gen on its way it may be too late to overhaul the game for Frostbite. If they make that change this late it'll probably screw up their preparation for the next gen.

They've said they don't want to make the same mistake they made at the last gen change over.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think with the next gen on its way it may be too late to overhaul the game for Frostbite. If they make that change this late it'll probably screw up their preparation for the next gen.

They've said they don't want to make the same mistake they made at the last gen change over.

EA Vancouver added Frostbite to FIFA 17 (18, 19) in 2016. EA Tiburon followed in 2017 with Madden 18 (19, 20). Rammer and his team had time to implement it into the NHL franchise.

If anything, NHL 19 should've been the first game with Frostbite and then NHL 20. That'd be 2 titles with that engine compared to Madden's 3 and FIFAs (4?). The new consoles are more than likely going to be released holiday season of 2020.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
EA Vancouver added Frostbite to FIFA 17 (18, 19) in 2016. EA Tiburon followed in 2017 with Madden 18 (19, 20). Rammer and his team had time to implement it into the NHL franchise.

If anything, NHL 19 should've been the first game with Frostbite and then NHL 20. That'd be 2 titles with that engine compared to Madden's 3 and FIFAs (4?). The new consoles are more than likely going to be released holiday season of 2020.

Yes. New consoles are due next year which gives them just over 13/14 months to work on the next gen version of NHL 21.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Gonna disagree here because there’s plenty to hate with this beta.

The passing is balls. It’s not about simply passing thru someone, which should be a thing already, it’s the fact that it’s so damn slow and inaccurate.

Passing percentages shouldn’t be in the low 60s and be good. Sure, adapt is an option, but it shouldn’t be that radically different.

Hitting is a shit show. No consistency what so ever. Doesn’t matter the size, it’s either a big hit or literally having your player bouncing off a puck carrier.

The score board on the bottom is horrible, especially when it glitches out and removes a part of the screen.

From a gameplay perspective, there’s plenty to be upset about. The only hope is that they get their collective crap together and hope this outdated build is truly outdated and not a pre cursor of a crummy launch.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
After reading this I decided I will stick with 19 for now. Maybe I’ll buy it next summer on sale or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad