NHL 1st Overall slogan

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Who are the closest competition for Lafreniere in draft? Projected top 3 guys? How deep is this draft compared to some of the ones we have seen lately?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
As much as I love the moves NYR made, I would loved to grab Lafreniere. I think we'll fall back into a meh pick range, unless we luck out with the lottery, or one of our players gets traded and that team bombs.
Rangers will be in the playoffs imo. The Jackets and Hurricanes will miss the playoffs due to no goalies while the Rangers & Panthers make the playoffs.
I think Lundquivst will make one last push to get a cup before he retires and try to pull off a upset in the 1st round vs Tampa/Washington.
I think NJ will just barely miss the playoffs because of Schneider letting in too many goals.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Who are the closest competition for Lafreniere in draft? Projected top 3 guys? How deep is this draft compared to some of the ones we have seen lately?

Quinton Byfield - C - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
Lucas Raymond - RW - Frölunda (SHL/SWE-J20)
Alexander Holtz - RW/LW - Djurgården (SHL/SWE-J20)
Anton Lundell - C/LW - HIFK (Liiga/Jr. A SM-Liiga)

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
DUDE our last pick what 19 friggin 71!! and even then we traded for it, so i guess it does not count according to your logic. Pitt's should be one of the last teams to get 1st overall. Period, End of discussion!

we should get all of them, actually

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Rangers will be in the playoffs imo. The Jackets and Hurricanes will miss the playoffs due to no goalies while the Rangers & Panthers make the playoffs.
I think Lundquivst will make one last push to get a cup before he retires and try to pull off a upset in the 1st round vs Tampa/Washington.
I think NJ will just barely miss the playoffs because of Schneider letting in too many goals.
Would be shocked if we're not in the lottery. Great off-season but this is young team with no defense. I expect a bottom third finish and then winning the lottery for Laffy.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Quinton Byfield - C - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
Lucas Raymond - RW - Frölunda (SHL/SWE-J20)
Alexander Holtz - RW/LW - Djurgården (SHL/SWE-J20)
Anton Lundell - C/LW - HIFK (Liiga/Jr. A SM-Liiga)

Byfield wasnt even a PPG player in OHL while Lafreniere has already over 180pts scored in Junior Major.

Lets say, he has no competition in this draft.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Byfield wasnt even a PPG player in OHL while Lafreniere has already over 180pts scored in Junior Major.

Byfield is 10 months younger than Lafreniere though and they're not far from beloning to different drafts. Look for Q to take a huge leap this upcoming season. I also think Lafreniere got the edge at the moment but C over winger is always true.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Well, it's reliant on Byfield improving - naturally, if they finish the next season with Byfield PPG and Lafreniere at 1.8 PPG, Lafreniere should go first. But still, Byfield's a lot younger and is a big C, many teams would draft that over a winger like Lafreniere if they're at all close.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lafreniere will be a great player, but if it were me I watch Byfield closely and if creates the choice, I chose him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Hes also almost a year younger. It would be more accurate to compare Lafrenieres D-1 to Byfields draft year. If Byfield puts up 100+ in the OHL as a Center he could potentially challenge for 1OA.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
We'll see how Byfield does this year. I managed to catch a couple games live this past season and he was great, but I think Lafreniere should still be #1.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

I really dont get why people say that. Sam Constantino, for example, is already flagging Holtz and Raymond as challengers for number 1 overall. Both of them play in the two clubs that met in the SHL playoffs finals last year, so if they make their pro rosters it means they will have beaten out some pretty skilled players for roster spots.

I think people are definitely sleeping on the European's in this draft. Lafreniere - while being a great prospect - is not seen as a McDavid/Crosby or even Matthews/Tavares level home run out of the park, must draft number 1 overall.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I really dont get why people say that. Sam Constantino, for example, is already flagging Holtz and Raymond as challengers for number 1 overall. Both of them play in the two clubs that met in the SHL playoffs finals last year, so if they make their pro rosters it means they will have beaten out some pretty skilled players for roster spots.

I think people are definitely sleeping on the European's in this draft. Lafreniere - while being a great prospect - is not seen as a McDavid/Crosby or even Matthews/Tavares level home run out of the park, must draft number 1 overall.

That is always the hardest part about comparing CHL players to Euro's. The Euro kids are usually going to be further along in their development due to playing tougher competition. The CHL kids can close the gap by the time they turn 20/21. Then there are the Lafreniere types who could close the gap by their rookie season in the NHL. It's what makes drafting so interesting. Teams sleep on players from both sides because sometimes Eruos look better because they do well in Euro pro leagues and sometimes CHLers look better because they produce well against younger competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad